Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone here with Colinergic Urticaria?

Ok... not as possibly life-threatening as fibromyalgia, diabetes, and others... but... something I have to deal with.

At the moment... the only "treatments" that are available are pretty much

"don't get hot"
and
"take anti-histamines and/or other medications that won't really help much"

I absolutely HATE taking medication... if I'm sick, I'll only take a pill or two when I have to. And... I live in Texas. Yeah... not getting hot isn't really a big option.

So yeah... anyone hear have to deal with this? The constant itch when you feel yourself getting warm, the arms covered with white bumps and red patches when you let yourself keep getting warm without stopping? The lightheaded feeling when you know you've hit the limit?

Or... am I the only one?
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #2  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I have never heard of this condition, but it sounds very difficult to deal with.
Don't be afraid to take medicine if your doctor has ordered it for you.
Best of luck in staying well!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I had this as a kid. I pretty much lived in a pool in the summer and my mother used it as an excuse to get an air conditioned car (in the 60's that was a big deal). But I out grew it or at least the worst of it during puberty. I moved north once I was 18 and that helped a lot too.

Doing things in the cooler early mornings or late at night (if you live somewhere that going out late at night is safe) is a possibilty. Swimming is great, I never had a problem with that. And I bet you could do a treadmill in an air conditioned gym. I know I wouldn't even have been able to walk a half mile to the store on a hot summer day. Heck, I couldn't even just sit in the sun or I'd sweat enough to break out. Hence pretty much living in the pool.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #4  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I have idiopathic urticaria... all that means is they don't know what causes mine. It sounds like mine is a little different but still caused by a wonky immune system. I get huge sore, itchy hives and tons of extra fluid in my joints so it hurts just to move. Sometimes my hives go clear in the middle, sometimes they're just big very sore, itchy bumps. And I get them everywhere, the bottoms of my feet even and sometimes in my throat.

Unfortunately my treatment is much the same as yours... anti-histimines daily and when I have a flair up (not lately, knock on wood!) steroids... prednisone-YUCK! Have your doctors ever tried you on prednisone?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote