Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #1  
Going After my Dream

S/C/G: 310/290/180

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy So how long should i expect it to hurt?

My butt that is.

Sorry, lol

I just recently got a bike-after about 20+ years of not riding one. My kids love to bike and they begged Mommy and Daddy to get one. So my husband brings one home a co-worker gave him. I look at it and laugh-the seat is itty bitty.

Last night I tried it for the first time. I thought my butt was fine. My legs-wow, all the walking/jogging in the world would not have prepared me for how sore my quads were while riding-I had to stop a million times. The kids thought it was hilarious.

Today my legs are fine...my butt?? whole OTHER story.

Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone tell me how long it will be before I can ride without derrier pain? Do those fancy wider seats help or is it just something my butt needs to adjust to?

I know this sounds like a silly topic but I'm serious-I just want to be able to enjoy bike riding with my munchkins.
Nantucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

It will take awhile. I cycle a lot and my butt still hurts at the beginning of the season, but then it goes away. It still hurts a bit at this point for me, lol. Depending on what kind of bike it is, you might be able to get a saddle that feels better to you. It also depends on the nature of the discomfort-- for example (and sorry if this is tmi), if it is pinching or mushing your lady parts, a new saddle might work better, but if it's just general soreness on your seat area, it will probably be fine after more biking.

The type of saddle could make a difference too: some seats are too soft for some folks, and some are too hard. Some like wider, and some narrower. Women's anatomy tends to be wider (length between your sit bones, the part that sits on the saddle), and this does *not* depend on weight. Super skinny people can need wide saddles. You might need a wider or a narrower saddle, or a women's specific one, which are wider than the men's models. Sometimes lowering or raising the seat might work too.

So there are a lot of options. Depends on the kind of bike, what exactly is hurting, and what you find personally comfortable.

Google sheldon brown saddles (sorry I can't post a link yet) ... you'll see it's not a silly question.

Last edited by tea2; 05-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #3  
Going After my Dream

tea~no my lady parts are fine. it feels like my butt is all bone-which it clearly is not, lol Even just sitting anywhere today hurts.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

You may have bruised yourself. Which is normal. (I had a nice butt-bruise that my husband pointed out after I started biking again this spring.) You'll adjust within a few weeks. Do it every day or two, and gradually work up on the amount of time.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #5  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

At the beggining of the summer it usually takes a couple days after the first bike ride for the soreness to go away. After a few bike rides my bottom is fine.

Im thinking about getting a smaller seat for this summer in hopes that I'll survive! We'll see how it goes...haha
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

By the larger seats- it's totally worth it. I think I spent like $20 for mine? Nice and large and cushy- I'm not going to make myself get used to a bike seat made for a toddler! lol.

If you aren't comfortable you will be more likely to skip it because of the pain. At least I would.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It really depends on the seat. Sitting on ANY seat after not being on awhile is going to hurt the first few times. Might last a week or so. When I used a really cushioned spring seat my backside adjusted fairly quickly though.

Now with a road bike if I've been off it for any length of time it takes a few weeks to get the backside adjusted to the harder less forgiving and tiny little race seat.

You'd probably be more comfortable as a beginner in a wider gel/spring type seat, but your backside will eventually adjust to any seat.

Congrats on getting back on the bike!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #8  
Going After my Dream

Ty all so much for your help!

I am happy to report I was able to get on my bike tonight again(I tried yesterday but the pain was too intense) and went on my first longer ride with my kids. My legs were achy but not painful and my butt was much happier-not painless yet but definitly more numb, lol

I think with one or two more I'll be good and won't have to shell out any extra cash for a new seat.