Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #1  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Default Am I running too slow?

I have really improved - I started about 3 - 4months ago running -- ok it's probably considered jogging 4.2 now I can run comfortable about a 5.2. So yeah better but isnt that pretty slow?

I watched biggest loser and Ashley was doing sprints at 12. YIKES! I tried an 8 once and about fell off the back of my treadmill lol I do sprints at 6 now - 30 secs to about 90 secs.

Is that the correct way though to increase my speed? Or is distance better? I get so confused! I subscribe to runners world and read tons but *sigh* I don't get a lot of the information out there! Tempo runs and interval training!

Advice is totally welcome!!!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

No you are not running too slow. There is no such thing as too slow.

The best way to increase speed is to be consistent. When you have established a consistent pattern of easy miles then ONE day a week try intervals or other type of speed work (tempo, hills, fartlek etc. - if you ever need any definitions ask!)

And do not believe everything you see on TBL.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #3  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

You're doing fine, once you stay at 5.2 for a while you'll probably have to bump that up just like when you were at 4.2. On TBL I'm pretty sure they are sprinting for 20-30 seconds only. I have worked up to sprinting at 10 for about 25 sec. so I can see how they could do it for short periods, that is more for fat burning though which I try to get as much as possible!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

5.2 is actually quite good for the length of time you've been running. Ramping up speed too quickly is a good way to get injury. If you feel the need to get faster you can insert intervals or pick-ups but you don't need to pick up the speed to crazy sprints like that.

(edit to add... I think it was Sunshine doing the 12mph sprints... not that it matters!)

Last edited by Idealmuse; 05-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post

(edit to add... I think it was Sunshine doing the 12mph sprints... not that it matters!)
Actually it's a huge matter! According to their bios on the official website, Sunshine is an inch taller and about 70 pounds lighter than Ashley.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I agree with ennay. I think people underestimate how difficult it is to increase your speed. Going up that much in a few months is quite an accomplishment. You should be really proud of yourself!

I think mixing it up is the best way to get better. Sometimes I run endurance runs, sometimes I run longer sprints for 1 minutes, sometimes I run all out sprints for 15 seconds. When I started running sprints (also after seeing it on BL) I was running at nowhere near what they were. Even now, I see some of the contestants doing things thirty pounds heavier than me that I can't do. It's not realistic for someone without that kind of aggressive training, medical attention, and supervision. What they do is amazing, but you can't compare yourself to that. What you have done as a regular individual is amazing.

So maybe you run sprints at 6.0 right now, but in two weeks maybe you decide to push it to 6.5 and do it for a little less time. And then that gets easy and you push it to 6.7. I started running my all out sprints 3.0mph slower than I do now. It takes time. Just find ways to keep challenging yourself and focus on making yourself a little uncomfortable no matter what you do. It's easy to fall into a comfortable pace (especially when you're running outside) but by pushing yourself passed that just a little you're challenging yourself a lot more.

And now I'm rambling so I'll stop. Hope some of that helped!

Edit: I was also going to say I think Ashley was at 9 or 10mph max. Sunshine was running at 12.

Last edited by rockstar87; 05-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/132/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree with others about gradually increasing and using intervals as a way to help do it. Have you thought about also seeing how your heart rate is doing? The machines aren't terribly accurate and I know it's not recommended to hold the hand rails to test your pulse when you're running but I just do it for a few seconds to see how my pulse is. If you're running "too slow" (because you've become so fit that your pace is no longer a challenge for you - yay!), then you'd see that your heart rate wasn't as high as it was when you first began at a particular pace.

Also, you can pay attention to other things - how labored is your breathing, how do you feel while you're running, how do you feel after the workout? I always err on the side of going slower because I know that if I go too fast it will become so difficult that I'll make excuses not to do it next time.
Good luck!
AnnieCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

Thanks for all the input!! That does help me feel better lol not that was why I was asking but yanno you see these things and think - wowza! What the heck is my problem! lol

I don't always check my heart rate but I do pay attention to my breathing and what I am doing. When I am running at 5.2 I am a bit winded but I can talk. I know I read somewhere that if you can say the pledge without easily you may not be working hard enough. You should be able to still say it but maybe get only 3 words out before having to take a deep breath. I feel that way or probably a little more when I sprint but I feel pretty good when I do the faster.

One of the reasons I increased was because I felt like it was hurting - not badly but like I needed to bump it up and I don't have the same pain that I had before in my legs and can substain a run longer!!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #9  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

One thing I see on some of the race training schedules that I've looked at is to gradually push your a little more for a minute. Nothing extreme, just a little bit harder than you would be able to maintain. I do it every ten minutes or so and just kick it up a little bit and then settle back into my regular pace. Also something to consider if you're not in the mood for sprints. Good luck!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have been running longer than you and I run about that fast, maybe a little faster. I have found that running with other people pushes my pace a little bit, and I ramp up on the treadmill until I'm uncomfortable and then ramp back down to try to get my body used to running a little faster.

The important thing is that you're running. Keep it up!
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

BTW I run about that speed in general too and I've been at it... well over a year consistently.

I can run up to 6mph for about 20mins in an all out time HR test... but I tend to average 5 to 5.5 mph when trying to keep my HR in the more moderate zones (so I can run for longer periods of time)

Because you're shorter too it takes more effort for you to run faster then it does with someone with longer legs so don't be too hard on yourself. Just let the body adjust and the speed will come.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #12  
Focused on the Future

TY again -- I do run sometimes with my BIL - of course being a guy he can way run faster than me lol It does help me to try to keep up sometimes though he usually lets me set the pace.

I am glad the sun is shining again here and I can get outside and run this weekend. So much better than on the treadmill. I do think that the treadmill helps me to increase my speed though!