Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #1  
Post-It Junkie

S/C/G: Starting: 195 / Current 195

Height: 5'2

Default Me vs The Scale

I have a very unhealthy relationship with dieting and also with the scale. There, I said it. I have for years. Dieting usually leads to me starving myself and losing an insane amount of weight in a short amount time, which I quickly gain right back.

That is why THIS time I am not on a diet. I am not set on a specific calorie target but rather a healthy calorie range filled with healthy whole food options.

This is why THIS time I am committed to NOT jumping on the scale first thing in the morning every single morning (and again 10 more times a day). I'm thinking three times a week is a good goal (I don't think I could do once a week, not yet!)

That is why THIS time I am leaving myself positive notes everyday instead of keeping a journal of negativity!

Oh and...signing up for therapy :-) LOL
Lola Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Sounds like a great start! One day at a time & give yourself a break.

mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I Know the feeling. Its as if the scale dictates my mood for the day. Rationally, my actions dictate what the scale says therefore it's my own doing, but its SO easy to base whether I have a crappy day or not on a number.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #4  
On My Way

S/C/G: 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I am a daily weigher as well... I wish I could stop myself, but I can't. I even weigh sometimes at night trying to gauge from the night before how much the scale will show in the morning (completely pointless since I don't eat and drink the exact same things at the exact same time every day and an extra bottle of water can cause a huge difference... but alas I do this anyway).
I have started posting in the 300+ forum weekly weigh in for spring, that helps keep me grounded that at the end of the week is what matters not on a day to day basis.
AmyMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I'll admit that I am a daily weigher but I don't count it until Monday. I don't have one of those really cool scales that weighs you to the 100th or 10th of a pound, so I don't get to see the results until I loose a full pound. I am thinking of getting a new scale - have been for quite awhile. The only problem is that there is nothing wrong with my scale...it just doesn't give those really precise measurements like most others do.

I have a really bad relationship with food. I graze, I crave and I reward myself with food. I need to get into new habits and that is definitely the hardest part for me.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #6  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I used to weigh once a week - but would wait till Friday with an "oh crap" moment to do any work for Monday's weigh in. I now weigh every day to keep myself on track. I only "count" my Monday number. It's been helpful to me to see trends like - if I workout with weights, the next day's number is a little higher. This is actually grounded in science and has to do with water retention and muscle recovery.

That being said - not everyone can handle the wild fluctuations. I will weigh 2-3lbs more or less throughout the week depending on salt intake, etc. It has helped me to stay away from salty foods and make sure I get my water in. It really DOES make a difference on a daily basis.

Some people like to weigh daily and take an average. I guess I wouldn't count yourself crazy, or weird or in need of alteration. When we are working hard, we want to see results - like now, please!

Great job on making some positive changes! Cute blog.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #7  
Post-It Junkie

Many people have no problem weighing in daily - my problem is that when I weigh in daily it leads to some very bad behaviors like crash dieting and down right fasting days on end to watch the numbers fall - a lifetime of that type of yo yo dieting is what has made me the size I am today and lead to other health problems. It's my own mental problems though, not saying everyone who weighs daily will develop the same, not at all!
Just saying that I want to develop a healthy diet and relationship with the scale this time around :-)
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #8  
Post-It Junkie

mortonpixie thanks for visiting my blog, I can't wait to check yours out! Blogs are blocked from my work (and yet 3 chicks is not, weird!) :-)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #9  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm one of those weird people who do weigh daily, but I keep track of my trend, rather than the number. Through my daily weighing, I can tell if I've eaten too many carbs, too much salt, not enough water, etc. There are days where I'm clueless as to what happened to make the scale go up.

Take your weight once a week if you're trying to stay away from the scale, only realise that the numbers tell you what's going on with your body AT THAT MOMENT, not an overall trend. But I'm a numbers geek like that; I like seeing and interpreting trends and graphs.

I read your blog yesterday, I should get back onto mine. It's a great cathartic tool that I've under-utilised. I even put a sticky note on my desktop that says "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL and don't you ever forget it". I think I'm going to get going on that Operation Beautiful... what a way to make your day!
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #10  
Post-It Junkie

That's awesome Mollz!!!