Old 04-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #1  
Fierce Femme

S/C/G: 185/181/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Quitting both smoking and overeating at the same time...a recipe for disaster?

Is anyone else on this board a smoker or former smoker? I've noticed that since I (re)started my weight loss efforts, I really want to smoke. A lot. So far I've been able to resist the urge--I haven't officially quit, but frankly, I'm too broke right now to afford cigs, so I kind of quit by default.

I know this isn't uncommon. Food was my channel for stress; now that that's gone, I want to use my old fallback--smoking. And since I'm not smoking, I feel like I'm going cRaZy

Anyone have any advice or stress relievers (besides exercise, which I already do)? These urges are taking over my brain and I am SO close to breaking down and just spending the five bucks (that I can't really afford) on cigarettes.
BeeOfTheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #2  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Bee -- first of all CONGRATS on making the change!!!! Former smoker here... and I'll be honest, I have my slip ups even though its been since September (mostly when drinking or when REALLY stressed), but YOU CAN DO IT.

What you have to remember is that the first 3 days are going to be the hardest, and by the 5-7 day it's not NEARLY as bad. You'll also find it's weird what triggers you to go reach for your pack of smokes. (For example: I always smoked a cig while drinking my starbucks drink.... in the car one day I reached for where I always kept my cigs and was like WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT?!?!!?)

Instead of spending the 5 bucks on cigarettes.... invest the 2 on a pack of sugar free gum. That helped me SOOOOO much.

Also, I know you can't really afford the cigs right now so you probably can't afford the patch but that really helped me. It helped me deal with the physical HABIT of smoking while not craving the nicotine as much. Plus for 2 weeks its like 25 bucks compared to 35 (if you are a pack a day smoker like I was) for ONE week's worth of cigs.

Basically do whatever you can to keep your hands busy.... your mind occupied (boredom is going to be your enemy right now) and also keep yourself from mindlessly munching because you want the hand to mouth motion since you aren't smoking.

Post on here, feel free to PM me. Whatever you want.

But -- YOU CAN DO THIS. Don't forget that... seriously... you can.

And also, be prepared for crazy dreams. I even had dreams ABOUT smoking when I quit. LOL But then again I'm a pretty crazy dreamer anyway.

Oh and one more thing (sorry for the novel here) drink LOTS of water. You're trying to flush all of the toxins out of your body. I found when I first quit that I was really tired. Remember, nicotine is a stimulant so you may be a little sluggish. It's just your body detoxing.

Last edited by Feral; 04-20-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #3  
Samantha417

get some books! I never smoked, but when I'm bored and I have the munchies, I buy a book. If it's really good, you won't want to do anything else but read!

And I second the gum motion. If you need some sort of oral stimulation to ease off the smoking and eating craving, then gum is the way to go!

what are some hobbies that you like to do? Are you at school right now? If you are, go to the library! It'll force you to study or what not....and you'll be away from food temptations and you obviously can't smoke inside.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #4  
Starting again.

S/C/G: 263/217/145

Height: 5' 7"

Great advice from Feral, especially the water part. I was definitely tired when I quit smoking...it was like my brain was in a fog for a while and I had trouble focusing. I found the patch worked well for me along with tea tree oil toothpicks. The patch kept me from smoking for fear of heart attack, and the tea tree oil toothpicks helped with the oral fixation part of it. Good luck!
Stace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #5  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats on giving them up! I quit smoking (this time) on January 2. And it's hard, so hard. But honestly, doing it at the same time as adding in dieting and exercise was a good thing for me, because i'm focusing on my health any way, and tracking changes, so I feel like I'm paying attention to the differences in how I feel when I run or smell fresh food and such.
Tips: gum! is an excellent one. i have it with me all the time.
I had to change my relationships with smokers - for example, I always go outside to smoke with the same lady, so I had to sit down with her and tell her I couldn't anymore and not to ask, and also find a way to chat with her so she didn't think I just dropped her.
New habits! I do crunches or pushups or mess with my dog or get a glass of water or chew gum or bite my nails (that wasn't a good replacement!) or go for a walk... etc.etc. when I come across my old habits that I used to always smoke during. For example - I always smoked when I called my mom after work. Now I clean the kitchen. Or, I always smoked during commercial breaks in the evenings - now pushups.

You can do this!! And think of how much better you will feel when you not only are thinner and healthier because of your weight loss, but you are healthier and can breathe the WHOLE TIME while you exercise.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #6  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Oh yeah - changing habits is a big part of it. I stopped hanging with my BFF on Friday afternoons for about a month because we always used to go drink beer and smoke on her porch and ***** about work. So that had to go.

Also I used to pace around outside on the phone at night and talk to people. I stopped using my phone a lot more when I quit smoking.

If you're big on smoking in the car again, make sure you have plenty of gum or mints.

If you smoke a cig in the morning with coffee... maybe hold off on your coffee until you get to work.

Also - this may be really hard depending on your habits. I wouldn't recommend getting drunk for a while... because that REALLY sucks. I remember BEGGING my BFF for a cig on Halloween when we were drinking. Luckily (and sadly for me at the time) no one would let me smoke... LOL.

Please don't take me as saying "don't hang out with smokers" just be aware it's going to be REALLY tough for a little while.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #7  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Great advice here!! Just take one a day at a time! You can do it!!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

I basically completely agree with Ferals post!!

I quit in January, didn't gain, didn't really lose a whole lot, BUT I'm okay with that because I am that much healthier and I can exercise twice as hard.

Its definitly hard, but nothing is as hard as the first 5 days, if you get past them, you are in the clear, and I live with 2 smokers who smoke in the house, and I went cold turkey...so my "go to" was walking when I could get out, this forum, cleaning, and frozen grapes!! Try frozen grapes - best idea ever!!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #9  
Fierce Femme

S/C/G: 185/181/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks ladies...fighting the temptation to go buy a pack on my way to class...ARGH. It really is the habit aspect for me. I tend to smoke while I'm waiting for the bus and during breaks in classes. Now I'm like, "Duhhh, what do I do?..."

The sad thing is I didn't realize how addicted I was until I stopped. Now I often crave cigs even more than I do food! (Sometimes. Unless it's New York-style pizza.)

Avoiding drinking won't be tough--I'm trying to do that anyway, what with the calorie counting and all. But now, if I'm in a bar and I'm not drinking, I will have absolutely no idea what to do with myself! I'd better start getting a lot better at pool so I can keep myself busy.

Some really good advice out here, thanks again
BeeOfTheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #10  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I REALLY want to quit smoking...but I'm afraid if I do...I'll eat more...snack more...you know hand to mouth and I'm scared! PLUS i get so stressed out sometimes and I run straight to my cigs, and I always think what will I do if I quit smoking....i'll get super stressed and.....eat?? UGH!!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote