Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Default Just wondering

I am not sure if I am the only one that feels this way and if it's even "real" or just my perception of things. I have noticed that people seem to approach me more now and will talk to me and wave or smile now. Is this because I am thinner and more "socially acceptable"? OR is it just me? Do I think people talk to me now because of what I weigh? Maybe I wasn't as approachable when I was heavier because I was clearly uphappy with who I was and what I was doing to my body.

Now I am definitely happier and maybe that is what others see and maybe they are just responding to who I am now! Happier - not thinner! I would hope that was the case - yanno?

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me? lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #2  

I'm not sure if it is just because you are thinner, but more because you exude happiness more.

I'm still heavy, but I'm happier lately. So when I'm just out and about I find myself smiling more, walking with my head held up and not pointed to the ground etc. I also have been getting more smiles, waves and hello. I'm no where near my goal and far from thin lol

So I say it's 80% happier, 20% thinner. or 90/10. either way
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

I have to agree with Shy. I think it's that you feel better about yourself and people can see that. You carry yourself differently now that you're proud of what you look like and that's what becomes more approachable.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I definitely get more male attention (even casual conversation/hello's) when I am under about 220. It is striking. And I am pretty sure it is not me being more confident, as I have felt pretty great about myself for awhile now. When I was 240ish I'd say hello and people would WALK PAST ME. Rude. Now people will come up and talk to me when I am just minding my business looking for a can of peas or something.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
I definitely get more male attention (even casual conversation/hello's) when I am under about 220. It is striking. And I am pretty sure it is not me being more confident, as I have felt pretty great about myself for awhile now. When I was 240ish I'd say hello and people would WALK PAST ME. Rude. Now people will come up and talk to me when I am just minding my business looking for a can of peas or something.

Reasons for others being more open and friendly are likely ALL the above, depending on the particular individuals. But no matter, they really are. I have noticed it too! It seems that people are more respectful. But I am, with no doubt, more open and friendly too because my confidence level has taken me from hiding behind that crazy curtain. I realized -- I LOVE people, but had been avoiding them any time possible. So, I do think the real difference is more about me. Wow. Now, I don't avoid people and situations. What a marvelous freedom I have been able to reclaim!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

when it comes down to a question of "has the whole world changed, or have I" it's usually ME I'd say you're walking a little taller, smiling more, have more confidence, all the things people like to see and talk to!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I agree that it's most likely what you are giving off - which is clearly some great positive energy, so keep it up!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I don't know - I've wondered the same thing. People are nicer to me, too. Maybe it's because I am not as overweight as I was? Maybe its my confidence? A little of both? I don't know, but I don't think you're imagining it. I've noticed the same thing.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I really do think that it's about what you project.
I'm still FA-AT, but I smile at people all the time when I'm out, and always get a good response, and have friendly chit chat with strangers.

I think it's because you're feeling so great...people can see confidence
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

In my experience there may be a slight shift in male appreciation, but in terms of general social interactions? Be happy and approachable and people will happily approach you - I think your happiness and confidence boost is 90% of the equation, with the rest being that your appearance is now more 'typical', to their perception.

Silly, but true
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I've noticed that I get more response, quicker responses and friendlier responses from store cashiers and clerks when I'm thinner...not slender, just thinner....around 200lbs. People make more eye contact, too. And, I am always friendly and outgoing......fat or slender or in-between! I don't suffer from lack of self confidence. Anyone who knows me well will tell you. LOL. As much as we don't like to admit it, fat intolerance and discrimination is alive and well and lurking in the subconscious of people all around us. It's just a fact of life.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

It's all me. When I was almost 400 pounds I projected a huge aura of "back to f*ck off" to anyone I met.. I was afraid of people hurting me so I hurt them first... that attitude is GONE now and that makes life easier for both me and others... so I garner a ton of male attention and have many more people coming up to me because I don't appear to be untouchable anymore.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

So it sounds like maybe its a combo of the two. I am sure there ARE people that did look at me in a certain way because of my weight but I definitely feel I am more approachable than I used to be for the most part. Like someone else said I don't stare at my feet or avoid people like I used to do!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote