Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Hunger and Nausea

I used to get nausea every time I waited too long to eat. I was in a bad mood, people knew to stay away from me if I hadn't eaten in a while. The doctors said nothing was wrong and I never really had it looked into.

Anyone else have this? I went on the south beach diet(no carbs for the first week) and it got really bad but, since I have re-introduced carbs but, ONLY the good ones, fruits, and whole grains, I never get that feeling anymore. No matter how hungry I get, I just feel hungry.

Can processed carbs really be the culprit? I thought it was low blood sugar, and maybe with this new way of eating I'm maintaining it but, even if I don't eat for 4 hours(not on purpose) I still never get that vomit feeling anymore.

I have lost nearly 20 lbs so far and I don't ever want to eat processed carbs again if they're going to cause nausea when I'm hungry!

I think I saw this thread in the 20 Somethings but not in here...I'm sorry if there was a previous post. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and maybe eliminating processed carbs would work for them too.
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

It could be that once you had started eating healthier carbs, your blood sugar stabilised and is now able to maintain itself with a little help from you. It sounds like you're getting all the sugars that you need (natural ones instead of the processed, refined ones in white bread, sugar, flour).

Getting nausea when you're hungry usually means that your blood sugar is too low; I get very irritable, concentration problems, headaches and nausea when mine is too low. For me, it happens most often in the middle of the night (try forcing yourself to eat jam and bread at 3am, followed by a Cherry Coke or Dr Pepper- ugh ).

If you've stopped eating refined and processed carbs, good for you!! If you've lost 20 pounds because of it, even better! Go with whatever has been working for you.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #3  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Processed carbohydrates skyrocket your blood sugar, leaving it to plummet later on. If you do not eat them, your sugars wouldn't go up as high, leaving you more in balance while hungry.

Makes sense to me!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollz View Post
It could be that once you had started eating healthier carbs, your blood sugar stabilised and is now able to maintain itself with a little help from you. It sounds like you're getting all the sugars that you need (natural ones instead of the processed, refined ones in white bread, sugar, flour).

Getting nausea when you're hungry usually means that your blood sugar is too low; I get very irritable, concentration problems, headaches and nausea when mine is too low. For me, it happens most often in the middle of the night (try forcing yourself to eat jam and bread at 3am, followed by a Cherry Coke or Dr Pepper- ugh ).

If you've stopped eating refined and processed carbs, good for you!! If you've lost 20 pounds because of it, even better! Go with whatever has been working for you.
Only in the past year did I realize it could be blood sugar. This has been a constant for me since being a teenager. What a revelation to finally have it disappear altogether. I will never go back to processed, refined carbs. So far i'm about 20 pounds down from ridding myself of most sugar and refined carbs. Good thing I love whole wheat!
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  

Interesting! Thanks for the info. It doesn't happen to me much but it did this past Saturday. It helps to get protein followed by a good carb in my body quick.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote