Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #1  

Default Is it possible to workout at 5:00 in the morning???

I am trying to start a new exercise routine... but I find that I am just not making the time to do it. Excuses, excuses.

With 3 kids, all in activities, it's not possible to do it in the evening, unless it's late at night. By then, I'm exhausted and just want to fall into bed!

So I'm thinking that if I really want to make this a routine for my life (and I DO) that I need to have a set time to do it everyday, with virtually nothing to get in the way of that time for myself.

So "my plan" is to start getting up early enough to be to the gym by 5 am... before my husband or the kids even wake up... workout, and be home to get in my shower and get on with my day before husband leaves for work and kids are even getting up for school.

This is very NEW to me... and I'm afraid I'll just be exhausted! My question is.... does this ever get easier? Does anybody get up this early to workout? How did you "train" yourself to get up so early, and do you feel exhausted by afternoon? Will my body ever feel "normal" making this change???

ALSO, do you eat anything before an early morning workout? I will literally be getting up about 15 minutes before my feet hit the treadmill at the gym... so not much time to digest anything. But don't want to feel sick and/or dizzy either... ???

Last edited by MotoXMama; 01-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.
MotoXMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

I used to do it back when I was in the Army. I felt better all day long, more energized, as a result. I really loved it. I felt more tired on the days when I didn't get a morning work out.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just started trying it today and it was difficult. My gym opens at 5:30 and I was there at 5:40---worked out for an hour, went home, showered and was at work by 8:00. I think it's going to have to be my new routine.

I'm single with no kids, so I don't have the same responsibilities you do. But, I know that starting soon (like the next couple of weeks) I'll have to put many more hours in at work, so I'll leave later & I know I won't work out afterwards.

This morning, I hit the "snooze" button once & when the alarm went off the second time, I just told myself I HAD to get up and do this. I really didn't want to, but it's what I have to do to take care of myself. My fear was that if I didn't go this morning, I wouldn't go after work. And honestly, it's completely awesome to know I can leave work & get home at a decent time, cook up dinner and relax. Otherwise, I'd be getting home at 7:00-7:30 at night, have to cook, etc.

I think it will take time for my body to adjust ---I'm a night owl by nature, but it will happen. About 10 years ago, I'd work out early in the morning & after it became routine, I felt great!
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #4  

For almost five years, I got up at 4:50 am so that I could be at the 5:30 am spin class - 3 times a week.

You DO get used to it. My tips:

1. Have all of your workout clothes put together the night before and put them somewhere where your husband isn't, such as in the kitchen or something.
2. Eat before you go, even if it is just a bite or two of something.
3. Don't plan on really waking up until you are well into your workout. By that I mean, cut the social stuff, just get in and get your workout started before people start talking to you.
4. Try to get to bed on time - whatever time that is for you.
5. I didn't do so well with just working out on my own at that time, I needed someone to think for me and tell me what to do, that is why I started doing spin. Your gym may have other early morning classes.

As I said, I spent 5 years with this routine and really came to LOVE it. You are correct - by the time you get home, all worked out and buff (smiling), the rest of the family is just getting moving. It's a great feeling.
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #5  

Thank you all for your responses!!! I really needed to hear that! I am feeling more motivated to start my new routine already!

Wavesmom (and anyone else) - your tips are fabulous! Thank you for those! Another question I have is, should I eat anything quickly before I get to the gym? And what is best to eat?

Thanks again!
MotoXMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #6  

Any time

Before going, I had one cup of coffee, and usually a container of yogurt. I wasn't on SB then, so maybe a piece of toast? I found that I had to have SOMETHING in my stomach or the acids would make me queasy.

Good luck.
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

That's my plan, exercising at 5 am (actually, getting up at 5, exercising about 5:15). Of course, exercising at home makes that easier . What I did find, is that I have to go to bed early. 10 at the latest, often some time between 9 and 10. Still, overall, I found I was sleeping less (needing less) on that schedule. I slept much more soundly.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #8  
Dutch Blitz Dominator!

S/C/G: 140/125/115

Height: 5'5

Keep me posted on how it goes! I have been working out right before dinner at around 5pm everyday and starting tomorrow I am going to start waking up at 5 and running.
I definately think its possible. I will probably start going to bed a little earliar though. Once your body gets into the habbit it wont be too hard to get up in the morning.
yellowsubgirly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do it. I was a total night owl so it was a TOUGH transition for me. It does get easier. The hard thing is that you have to go to be earlier and even on the weekend it gets really hard to stay up later.

Eat lightly if at all, it will get easier to eat when you get used to waking up early. It may be nauseating at first. I like a spoon of pb on a 1/2 banana or a piece of toast. But I went for years without the morning eating. (I would eat for weights, I dont need it for cardio unless I am doing a tough run) Watch the coffee. I like coffee in the morning but it can umm...clean you out in the middle of your workout.

Last edited by ennay; 01-20-2010 at 09:42 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I exercise at five a.m. and really like it. I know it sounds strange, but I find that I'm really motivated after that and have good energy until very late in the afternoon. It definitely gets easier so give it some time.

I don't always eat beforehand, but if I do it's either a small amount of protein or some oatmeal.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #11  
Meg

I'm an early morning exerciser and am sitting here with my coffee, just waiting for the gym to open at 5:30 am. I don't eat before I go because I'd get queasy. It's great to be done for the day by 7:00 am, come home to a delicious breakfast that I feel like I earned, then take a shower and be ready to go!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes, absolutely, I've been doing it for years. It's hard at first to get up that early, but you get used to it over time. You do have to plan to go to bed earlier, otherwise you end up chronically sleep-deprived.

Ditto on the preparations -- I lay out everything the night before so I don't have to think the next day. I'm out the door before anyone else in my house, so I don't want to be rummaging around looking for things and disturb anyone.

I typically don't eat before working out that early. It just doesn't "sit" well for me. If I'm working out for only an hour or so, I really don't need anything first. If I'm doing a long run (more than 10 miler), I'll use one or two Clif Blocks to maintain my energy through the run. The only time I really eat anything is before a distance race (like a half marathon), when I will have at least 2 hours to digest, and even then it will be something small - like half of a peanut butter/jelly sandwich and coffee. I refuel afterward. Some people can't do that, so you'll have to see what works best for you.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #13  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

You guys are inspiring! I'm thinking of adding 1-2 early morning workouts to my week, but realistically I don't think I can do it until it's lighter in the morning. I work out three nights a week and both days on the weekend, so I'd just like to get some extra cardio in on the other days. I'd have to be at the gym by 5:30 at the latest to make it to work on time(7:30).

MotoXMama, I used to do 6AM spin classes until I got pregnant and my whole life changed. I personally had to eat a little something - maybe a slice of toast w/ some pb or half an energy bar, and some coffee. You'll have to experiment to see what works for you. I remember what a great feeling it was to shower afterward and know that I was done with my exercise for the day!

Keep us posted!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #14  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Wow, lots of us morning exercisers. I do a boot camp at 5:30 and I feel really good the rest of the day---but bedtime comes early these days!!

I also have everything laid out before I go to bed--my workout clothes, my clothes for the day, breakfast and lunch to take to work......I even fill my water bottle and put it in the refrigerator! And I'm not even that organized a person, usually.

I eat a banana or a few slices of orange before I go (somethimes in the car).
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #15  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

I workout in the morning, not nearly as early as 5 am though. For me it's more like 6:30 and even that was an adjustment. I personally have to eat before working out. I eat my full breakfast (oatmeal) and do just fine on it. I don't have the energy if I don't eat.

You can do it! It'll take time for your body to adjust the the changes in sleep but once you get use to it you'll love having it done first thing in the morning!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote