Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default CG and no-poo

Does anyone here do the no-(sham)poo thing?

After finding some webpages on it and impulsively buying this book, I've been "CG" for a few weeks now. Each morning I use a small bit of conditioner to wash my scalp, and twice a week I condition the whole length.

I know there are forums out there about long hair, curly hair, long curly hair and lord only knows what else But I just wondered if anyone else here did this
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #2  

I used to do this back when my hair was long... maybe I wasn't doing it right but my hair would always look really greasy... my scalp does run a bit on the greasy side but the entire length of my hair is pretty dry... so the conditioning helped that.

Plus my hair smelled pretty good while I was doing that
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

i wash my hair 2-3 x a week. the ting is that if you use anything to "wash" between shampoos, and massage your scalp, you are prompting the production of the oils that make your hair greasier.

i use an aerosol no-water shampoo on no-wash days, esp. after a workout, you spray it on, wait for it to dry, and brush it through. You will notice it makes your hair smooth, shiney, not greasy, and helps you get to the next wash without feeling gross.

ps I got mine at sally's beauty supply, most stores I go to normally dont carry it.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #4  

I guess I'm lucky as my hair and skin are pretty dry. If I don't do something to my scalp each day then it gets itchy and flaky!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

I have curly hair and tried the no shampooing thing... it lasted a couple weeks with just conditioner but started to look greasy and I think the product I use was building up too much.

I don't usually wash (wet) my hair every day anyway... about every other day. I use just a little bit of shampoo.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think you do have to make sure you're using a conditioner with no silicones in it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #7  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I've found this only works well for me at a certain length of hair (kind of a little past my shoulders). Any longer or shorter and something just goes horribly wrong ;>

But at that length the no shampoo method is amazing.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #8  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Hmm. I'm going to try that. I have pretty dry hair. I only shampoo every few days anyway and sometimes I already do the conditioner and no shampoo thing if I feel like I need it.

I read a tip in a magazine once about using baby powder if your hair is greasy and you don't have time to wash. Just sprinkle it in your hair and shake it out well. I don't remember trying that either, but it might be helpful.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

I tried the baby powder thing in the 70's, I think, and it just left my hair looking like it had baby powder in it. It didn't really work for me. I don't have curly hair, but I really can't skip more than one day of shampooing without my head feeling really itchy and gross.

As a side note.....when I read the title of this thread, I was expecting to hear some dietary information about constipation (because of the "no-poo"). Heh.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #10  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Well I did give it a try, the no wash thing but it didn't work for me. I have to wash it every second day, and wash my bangs on the day off. Greasy hair and I'm in my 50's

True the baby powder thing didn't work either. I've heard of the spray? for in between times but haven't found it yet.
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #11  

I've never tried the baby powder thing it sounds a bit scary!

Julie - I checked my conditioner yesterday and nope, no -cones Happy about that, at least.

Whenever I tried to go without washing every day before (yea, I know, I used to be a daily shampoo and conditioner girl) I'd always get an itchy scalp on the second day or something, along with some pretty horrid dandruff. It didn't seem to do much for my curls either.

So I have no idea how and why this seems to be working! But I'm not complaining either
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/261/165

Height: 5'8

I learned in cosmetology school that women in certain countries (Mediterranean region) wash their hair only 2-3 times per month. And they are know for long, flowing, thick hair. Your hair and scalp needs its own natural oils. Just be sure that the conditioner is silicone free; it can build up to a yucky mess!
thevillageghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I do the baby powder sometimes. But for me it doesn't work if my hair is already starting to get greasy (it won't de-grease), but it will delay greasiness if I put it in before my hair gets greasy. I usually don't have problems just shampooing every other day though, my hair only gets greasy if I handle it too much
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I've been shampoo free for 2 years now. When I first started I used about a teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to wash and then about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water to condition/rinse. After about 3 months I abandoned the baking soda and vinegar and switched to an organic sulfate free conditioner that I get from the health food store. As long as I don't over use the conditioner I'm usually pretty good about not getting greasy.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #15  
wanna-be runner and yogi!

S/C/G: 150/140/120

Height: 5'3¾"

I started doing CG a couple of months ago but found all the products - gel, curl cream etc, were too heavy & my curls fell out as soon as my hair was completely dry!
I still only use conditioner with no silicone when I wash my hair, I wash it just one a week. My hair is really thick so luckily it takes a while to get greasy.
I tend to put it in two braids when wet ( a la Pippi Longstockings!) and leave it like that for a day or two.
Sara J is offline   Reply With Quote