Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #1  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Default 40-Somethings October Chat Thread Week 4

Thought I would put this up there and then post underneath (so we don't get 2 week 4 threads!)
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #2  
Heidi

OnMyWay great job on tossing out the chips! For me, I force myself not to buy kettle corn. Definitely a trigger, so good! Good luck with all the lunches; I agree re: my own cooking -- always healthier, almost always tastier! I have 1 lunch out this week, that's it.

CruiseCAT too funny about your count down... DH and I often fantasize about where we'll live come retirement, and here you are, practically there. I'm envious! Do you ever watch House Hunters International? Fun show for dreaming...

DMC2009 good luck on Thursday... Like so many others, I know how nerve-wracking the callback is; there was a period of 4 - 5 years where I was getting called back every year! It's like a little brush with mortality... But in each case, it's been nothing, and chances are, you will have the same experience. Do let us know!

PresMaggie Thanks for popping by; don't worry about lurking -- we all go through that... Just come back when you are ready. I'm glad you are loving your new job! How have the boys adjusted?

Marie Great job on powering through your to-do list; sounds like yesterday was quite the day!

Patchwork Good job on the exercise yesterday; it sounds like it was quite the workout!

Hydra How was your weekend. Nice wine? Good movies?

LambChop Congrats on completing week 1 of C25k! And on your salad bar excursion... It sounds like you are doing great!

WeightLossWanted Enjoy your birthday tomorrow!

OnMyWay I hear you re: the groove. When you figure it out, be sure to tell me; I could use the help! In the meantime, I'm just taking each day as it comes, and making a commitment to be healthy that day.

Edited to add: Oh, and as for me... We had a nice weekend. The weather was gorgeous, and we got to work on the pumpkins outside. Carving them is always a lot of fun, and each year it seems to get easier... For those of you with kids, at what age did you start entrusting your kids to do the actual knife work? I'm thinking maybe next year my older son, who will be 11 then, should do his own pumpkin... Right now, they just get the fun of designing their jack-o-lantern, but I do all the cutting work.

Last edited by newleaf123; 10-26-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #3  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

We LOVE House Hunters International; many of our "building" ideas have come from that show. I just hope our area is never featured. There is a little place in Belize (Ambergris Caye) that has been on several times that is very close to our property in Mexico. If you look at the map below we are just north of Xcalak.

http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/mapphysical.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:
For some reason you get an error message if you click on the above link but it does work it you cut & paste.

I am finally almost back to my lowest weight since beginning my journey. For those struggling hang in there, it will click. Mack's ankle was bothering him yesterday after our hike on Saturday so we didn't walk. I thought about getting on the treadmill but just couldn't do it, I had zero motivation. Not sure he will be ready today so I will force myself to get on this AM. All day yesterday I felt guilty for taking the day off.

Well I better get the dogs out for their morning play and then get to my workout.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 10-26-2009 at 09:54 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #4  
Heidi

CruiseCAT it looks like a wonderful spot!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #5  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Maggie - Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Deb. I'll bet it's been quite a change to go back to working full time. What do you do? Glad you're enjoying it....that always helps!

Cruise - we use frontline - just a little liquid you put between their shoulders, it's a monthly - we pick it up on pet meds I think (husband does it) -- the pics were beautiful!

HA! Who's counting on the move...I'm the same way right now. I'm planning for Florida, and my goal is 3+ years, where my husband is thinking more like 5...boo!

Marie - hope you got more stuff on your list done, but I love being a bum some days!!! Hope your teams won

ICU - chips are a trigger for me too, have to have them out of the house - I also ended up eating out a few times, and man...glad i got salads - but I can see how all those Non-salad meals added up!

Penguin - what blaster workout? never heard of it...

New Leaf - Fun pumpkin decorating...the pumpkin patches around here were PACKED yesterday!
--
Doing day 3/week 1 of my C25k today - and just sticking to my plan. I weigh in at the doctor's tomorrow....I saw a bigger loss the first 2 weeks, and i understand it slows down now - that's fine. I'm in it for the long haul

I have a Disney trip coming up at the end of November, so I'm mentally preparing myself for where and what to eat, and at the resort I'll be at, Caribbean Beach, then have a nice path around the lake I can walk each morning...before I walk all day at the parks, ha...walking is never an issue there. You're on your feet all day. (me and 15yo son)
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #6  
Heidi

LambChop call me an old curmudgeon, but I *refuse* to go to the packed pumpkin and apple places around here. I have no desire to go to a "festival" and pay money to take a hayride to the fields. We have a lovely little farm that just puts their pumpkins out on carts with the prices already marked on the bottom. They are about a mile down the road from the biggest festival-type farm, and I am so happy they are there. In and out, yay, and a great selection.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #7  
Eat Less Move More

LC - When do you get to Orlando? I will be there from November 21-28.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #8  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Why do Mondays come so quickly and Friday takes forever???

ICU, too funny on the impervious to gravity girls. Oh, how I envy you!!! And yes, I like that I look immature in the picture. Mature is just scary!

Cruise, OK I get it. Mexico is your retirement. Counting is good. Numbers are good. Never feel guilty for taking a day off – only if that day turns into a week and into a month and into a year. One day break is good.

Newleaf, my kids are 23 & 24 – still carve their pumpkins for them. Just kidding. I think it was after they demonstrated a long period of time being really careful. Pumpkins can be tough and a sharp knife can slip. If next year is the goal, start letting him do stuff now on easier stuff. Maybe then you won’t have a panic attack at pumpkin time.

Lambchop, so you’re a Florida fan??? Where in FL do you want to retire. I love Vero Beach and Boca Raton. We went to Daytona for the Feb Nascar race last year and I loved, loved, loved their beach. The race was boring – aka Cruise’s Nascar nap. I actually left and went back to the hotel and watched a movie.

Todays doggie walk went better than most lately. All dogs participated (Kody was left home yesterday because he’s being an obstinate a$$) and they didn’t do bad. I ordered all for the non-pull harness’s my trainer recommended. I look forward to that. I also listened to my ipod for the first time since Sasha joined our pack. I thought that my irritation might be due to the lack of music. Tomorrow I’m going back to listening to the audiobooks. The music worked so if I can listen to a book, maybe the transition to four huskies will be complete at least in the morning walk routine.

So why is it some days staying in the calorie range is like torture and others it’s not possible to meet it??? Yesterday I wrote that I was low on cals and it would be no problem to fix that. Apparently it was. I ended at 1150 cals. I just couldn’t convince myself to eat. Part of my brain wants to carry the extra 250 into today so I can have 1650. But alas, my conscience would never allow that. I’m too rigid but I’m pretty sure that’s why I’m successful. At some point I need to fix that. To say the least, I petrified of changing what I'm doing for fear if I slip I'll tumble off a cliff. Perhaps in the next millennium.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #9  
Deb

Cruise? I'll be there from NOv 24 (get in very late) to the 30th! Where are you staying? I'll be at WDW at Caribbean Beach. My 15yo son and I do an annual trip to Thanksgiving...think this is our 4th trip at this time of year.

New Leaf - I hear you - but more than anything, I avoid the crowds! I don't go to them anymore...my boys are older. We did do a corn maze about 2 years ago - but the other stuff isn't my thing. We were out for a long drive and passed a few.

Marie- we'll probably stay outside of Orlando close to the Disney area. The plan is to buy a condo for a vacation home for 2-3 years, then retire into it..downsize from where we are now (NJ). Disney is senior friendly for hiring, so in case we need something down the road to fall back on - that's there, but we just like that there's so much to do there. It's central, and lots of new beaches to explore within 1-2 hours drive.

How do you measure for harnesses? We think we are going to get a harness for our Jack...he's been a master at slipping out of his collar, and even if we make it more snug, it seems to loosen on him. The other two are fine.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

We went to the dog park today, and inbetween throwing the toy for Somebody to chase {<----} I did some walk/jog intervals. I seem to get getting better at the jogging part! I left my HRM/cal counter on and on the way home I burned as many calories while I was up and moving. Interesting.

Sounds like you all had a good weekend!

Lambchop, This is the workout I did. http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...-blasters-5721 I have a different loop from another workout that seems more resistant so I'll use that one next time.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #11  
Eat Less Move More

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
Cruise? I'll be there from NOv 24 (get in very late) to the 30th! Where are you staying? I'll be at WDW at Caribbean Beach. My 15yo son and I do an annual trip to Thanksgiving...think this is our 4th trip at this time of year.
We have rented a 6BR house about 3 miles from WDW for the entire family; my two sisters & spouses, my nephew, and Karl, Brooke & Noah. Should be interesting this will be the first time we have ALL been together.... EVER. Many have never even met. What can I say, my family is just a little dysfunctional.

My sister Pam and I are taking a cruise before and I really wish I had scheduled it AFTER. Oh well, I'm sure we will all be fine; if not everyone will have a vehicle to get away if necessary.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #12  
Deb

Cruise - oh fun! Good luck with everyone together...At least you all have cars so you can get a break. I do a 3bdrm condo with my son in the summer and the extra space is SO WORTH it, but we love staying on site too. My husband and I may rent a place in Feb.

Penguin- thanks...I've worked with those bands at the trainer before. I guess she incorporated pilates stuff in with the other work, because I've used the rings and ball too. When I get farther along in my working out, I'll look more into it for another option.

Finished Week 1/Day 3 - C25k today
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #13  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening!
I've decided to take things one day at a time. I planned out my eating for the day and journaled every bite. Right now I am at 1250 calories for the day. I'm full and planning to ride the bike as soon as I am done here.

All this talk of beaches and warm places has me envious. It's cold and rainy here AGAIN! AARGH.

Newleaf, Have you tried letting you kids use the little pumpkin saws?

DMC, Sending for your US. I am also on the callback mammo list. Next year I am asking my Dr to just order the diagnostic to start with to avoid the aggravation and stress.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #14  
Eat Less Move More

Well got a call a few minutes before 5pm telling me that the GYN didn't get the authorization from my PCP for my biopsy tomorrow. Seems my PCP totally dropped the ball and didn't even submit it. They want to reschedule for after the 3rd but that is getting close to my TOM. I'm torn.... I really wanted this done before I left on the 12th but don't want it too close to when I leave. At this point I will probably put it off until early December.

OMW - One day at a time is a good way to go, really it's all we have.

Well I'm going to go watch more of my "Skins".
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #15  
Real Me in here Somewhere

S/C/G: 194.8/155/132?

Height: 5'1"

Evening Ladies!

Had a great weekend away with the ladies...Got a 2 1/2 mile walk in on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean...I could so live there! lol Did my best to stay OP but the drinks weren't the best of choices....
On a good note, I went to my WW meeting early Sat. morning and I was down another 2.8 pounds!
Finished off the weekend by seeing a Frank Sinatra tribute...was a great time!

Hope your all doing well...Grats to those who lost! Keep up the good work!

Huggies,
Giv
GivTLC is offline   Reply With Quote