Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:21 AM   #1  

Default Emergency gallbladder surgery and been so sick

Hi yall, just got to where I can write again. I have been so sick. I was throwing up all that I eat and started having severe cramps in my lower right side. I went to the doctor and ended up in the emergency room. After 2 ER visits and ultrasounds and an other tests they found out my gallbladder had quit functioning and I was on the verge of blood poisoning. Before they could do surgery had to start antibiotics to prevent the blood poisoning. I stayed in the hospital in and out for 2 weeks. Had been sick for about 2 months. I lost 38 pounds in the hospital in 1 week. Almost unbelievable huh. Finally got the gallbladder out. Now the problem I am having is with fats. I can't eat anything with fat in it because I end up with diarrhea I mean even the least little bit of fat sends me to the bathroom for all day. Anyone out there have the same problem? or went through the same thing? I am at 278 now. Where I was when I started originally. I need you all to help me please. Love angelgirl
Old 07-08-2002, 05:37 PM   #2  

Hi Angelgirl. Thank goodness they found out what the problem was and were able to do something about it! I am sure you were in a whole lot of pain.

I had my gallbladder out 35 years ago, and you are right - fat is not our friend. The way to handle it is to not eat it. Sugar is another one that my body doesn't like. Probably nothing to do with the gallbladder, but still...... I have NEVER been a fat eater, unless you count baking. It does have it's share. Even now, if I eat icecream, that can send me running all the next day. So, I try to watch. Hope you are feeling better.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #3  

Thanks so much, I thought it was just me or something that was wrong after the surgery. Glad to know all is okay now. Thanks for taking time to answer me. Lana
Old 07-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #4  

Same for me. I had my gallbladder out 1/77 and I still can't eat much fat. Sugar also bothers me. That's interesting, Happy Canuk, maybe they are related somehow. I mainly use low-fat or fat-free products and sugar-free as well. I don't eat baked goods but maybe 3 times a year (holidays). I just can't handle it and don't like being sick. I also had morning sickness that lasted for 7 months. The doctor said that's how the surgery affects some people. Whew!
Old 07-09-2002, 02:28 PM   #5  

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that I am not the only one this affected this way. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer me. Good luck with your endeavors. Appears as if you are doing really well. Thanks Lana
Old 07-09-2002, 03:46 PM   #6  

Angry Hi Again

I remember 6 weeks after having my gallbladder out, getting so sick to my stomach - then it happened every 6 weeks. Nothing but bile. The surgeon informed my I had a "migraine stomach". Never heard of such a thing, and I know it was connected to my gallbladder removal. After a few months of this, is did settle down, but left me with IBS. Aspartame does a real number on me as well, so I have learned to leave it alone. Splenda seems to be ok, but then it is a natural product so maybe that is why. I try to eat as close to natural as possible, leaving a lot of processed foods out.
Closed Thread