Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 12:10 PM   #1  
grateful

Unhappy I am a newbie who needs serious support!!!!

Please help!!! I am new, starting today on this site. I am a compulsive overeater. I am 100+ lbs. overweight and I need
support. I am currently taking Xenical (started yesterday) (fat blocker), eating low fat meals and trying to get some exercise.
I am a recent "stay at home mom", this is my second week home with the kids, I have 4, ages 7 months, 5 years, 6 years and 15 years old, so that has challenges of its own but I love it so far. Can I please buddy up with someone for support or just read responses? Thanks a million.

P.S. I don't know how to post my stats at the bottom.

I am 245, goal weight is 130.

1fatlady
Old 06-24-2002, 01:24 PM   #2  

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

You're going to find that this is one of the best sites you've ever found! The support is fantastic.

I am a 40-something mom with a 19 year old and a 15 year old. I am not a SAHM, but I can understand how that may create special eating situations for some people. (I'd find it difficult to have the fridge in the face all day.)

Just sit back, have fun, and make lotsa friends.

I personally haven't done the diet meds thing, only because I wonder what will happen when I stop taking them. And if I have to change the way I eat anyway, I can do that without them. Hope it all works out for you. You CAN do this, as you'll see so many here have.

To add your stats, I think you click on "profile" (up by the heading: 3 Fat Chicks, then click on "edit profile", and enter your info in the appropriate box. (I've never done this, so someone may be able to correct me.)

Glad you're here,

annie
Old 06-24-2002, 01:37 PM   #3  
grateful

Angry to 2ofme

Dear 2ofme I wasn't sure how to answer your reply. Can you tell me an easier way? Thanks for your support. I will get back on tonight. What is your occupation? Mine was a medical transcriptionist, I still do contract work at home part-time. Well gotta go and its nice to have a new friends (friends). 1fatlady
Old 06-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #4  

1lady:

I'm not sure how you did the reply, but I always click on the button "Post Reply" at the bottom right corner of the last post. Then, fill in the box "Your Reply" and click on "Submit Reply" button located a couple lines below the reply box. Try out the smilies, too. Loads of fun. If you continue to scroll down, you can see the previous posts. So, if you knew I mentioned something, but couldn't remember exactly, you could scroll down and see without having to use the back button.

I am the office manager/secretary/bookkeeper of two small businesses that are basically "sister" companies in the mid-west. It can get pretty boring, so that's when I log on.

Strange that we should "meet". Just a week or so ago, I was looking at local colleges for medical support staff classes. I started looking at too many and got more confused than when I started. First, I looked at transcriptionist. Then medical insurance billing, then more and more. Thinking well, if I do that class how much more would I need to do to get this certificate/degree? Still a pipe dream.

My goodness, four kids and working parttime? You have a lot more energy than I do!! (You do know, don't you, that you'd make more money bottling energy that transcribing.) I'm tired from sitting on my back side all day when I get home.

Have a wonderful day.

annie
Old 06-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #5  
grateful

Dear 2ofme,

I am sorry it took me so long to respond. Between my husband on e-bay and my son on his computer games, my internet time is pretty limited. I liked what you said about bottleing energy

I asked my husband my first week at home if he could tell any difference in me and he said, yeah you have worked harder this week than you ever did at work, ha, ha, there is a lot of house work to do, a lot of catching up on, I have worked since my oldest was 3 years old. All I have been able to do is surface cleaning

I like things really organized (if possible), I function better that way. Oh by the way I am 36 years old and I live in rural Mississippi and contrary to popular belief all people from the South are not ignorant and toothless

I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I can't seem to stop eating, I have tried basically everything, WW, OE, etc, etc, the list goes on and on and on. I am worried now about coronary artery disease, heart attack and dieing young and leaving my children. This has gotten to be a health issue now. I don't have any health problems at present but my knees are beginning to hurt a lot from the extra weight, I am only 5'2".

I really need day to day support from someone who has been there or who is going through the same thing as me. If you ever want to e-mail me my e-mail address is [email protected]. I would love to hear from you.

I was so excited when I saw your post, thanks for answering me back.

It is 9:46 p.m. here on Monday night. Are some of these posts from the UK? Some of the times seem really weird, I can't figure it all out, newbie on the block and all.

Well gotta do last minute cleaning and get into bed, tomorrows another day.

Good night,

Teresa
Old 06-25-2002, 08:35 AM   #6  

1lady:

Some of the posts are from the UK, others from Canada. Funny how our Canadian friends are so close and yet they have food products we don't and visa versa.

As I read your post, I felt as if I was reading about myself. I, too, have at least 100 pounds to lose and am 4' 11" tall. (If you put me in a white shirt, I look like the StaPuf Marshmallow Man on Ghost Busters - only shorter!!) I am 42 years old, have a 19 and 15 year old, and have been married to the SAME man for 22 years. I am the heaviest I've ever been and my knees are starting to hurt. A couple years ago, I had an operation on each foot and they haven't been feeling like they shouold, so this extra weight doesn't help. My family history includes high blood pressure, heart disease, hardening of the arteries, osteoporosis, arthritis, etc. I'm not looking forward to getting old(er), yet the threat of all that doesn't make me control my eating either. Go figure.

In other posts I read about people counting points, calories, fat grams, carbohydrates, and it seems that some people are able to keep track of all of it at once. For me, it seems soooo confusing, limiting, mind-numbing and obsessive. See, when I'm careful with food, I'm thinking of it all of the time (planning what I should eat, which restaurant I can eat at, etc.). That seems just as rediculous as just eating anything and getting on with life. The only thing is, I either spend my life figuring out food choices or I spend it being fat.

I think we need to sit down and take stock of ourselves. On the 100 Pound board (a few sections below the WW100 Club) is a thread about Dr. Phil that (I think) Bella put up. I'm going to start with that. Some people don't like him, but I think he has some good ideas. We need to decide - make conscious decisions for OURSELVES and our KIDS about our health. Just the other day I was thinking how I eat when I'm upset and how I really have to get it straight in my head how eating doesn't change a darn thing about the situation. I also have to go back to substitutions. (I used to walk instead of eat. I walked at least 4 miles a day. That was 11 years ago and I weighed 120 pounds.)

Well, sorry this has been so long. Hope to see you jump in once in a while on the 100 Pound boards, too. It's for anyone on any plan and the folks there are wonderful, too.

Don't be concerned about posting time. The only time I get to is at work. When I'm home I'm working. (I come to work to rest. )

Hope your having a sunny day. The sun is beautiful here, but it's too hot and humid for this "old girl".

annie

PS I am trying to get our house clean and organized, too. Having about 40 people over on Sunday for my mom's 78th birthday. Yikes!! I can almost see the surface. haha

Last edited by 2ofMe; 06-25-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #7  
grateful

Default Answering back post

Thanks for answering me back!!! I am sorry that it took so long to answer back, as I said I have limited time on the computer. I also have been married to the same guy for 17 years, some good, some bad but I gues that is with anyone. You are the funniest person, I laughed when I read your reply about the marshmellow. I just basically look like the good year blip. You made so much sense. Yes we just need to get our heads on straight and make up our minds that this time we are going to make this work. I agree with you it gets so tiresome all the time worrying about food, I hate it, its the first thing I think of when I wake up (my weight) and the last thing I think of at night. I cried myself to sleep last night. I am really disgusted and disappointed with myself. I am sick of being fat. You can be almost anything in this world and be accepted except for being a fat persone, doulbe standard I know but thats the way it is. I am the same person on the inside now as when I weighed a lot less. I am an emotional eater. I especially eat when I am stressed. Well gotta go. Sorry for cutting this short. Duty Calls. Ha Ha. Talk to you later.. Teresa
Old 06-25-2002, 02:19 PM   #8  
Slimwithin

Annie & Teresa, both of you are more than welcome to come and post on our Counting Down from 250 and beyond thread. You'll find lots of good natured support. You don't have to be over 250 lb to join in.
LindaBC
Old 06-26-2002, 03:24 PM   #9  

Linda:

Thanks for the invite. I'm not OVER 250, YET! Wheew. I used to post on this site about 9 months to a year ago and remember your "handle". I haven't stuck with it like you have, so I've inched back up - and closed in on 250 anyway. You should be proud of your sticktuitiveness.

Have a wonderful day.

annie

PS Hi 1lady. Hey, so what are we going to do about this? Let's start by KNOWING that we CAN. I'm going to commit to making mini-goals, especially for exercising and then sticking to them to make 'em work!

Last edited by 2ofMe; 06-27-2002 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:14 AM   #10  

Smile

Congratulations! You are taking steps in the right direction and making progress.

Most of us with 100# or more to shed, are compulsive overeaters, coupled with the fact we love food and have been "blessed" with large appetites.

What works for me is I always have something at hand to sip on, mostly water, but other sugar free beverages as well. It feeds my need for the hand to mouth action, plus the fluid seems to take the edge off hunger. I like my water with lots of ice and a lemon wedge.

What works for me, is I have 6 "meals" a day. 3 small meals, and 3 snacks. After dinner, I will write what I will have for my meals and snacks for the next day so I can kinda balance out the "calories". By writing what I will eat in my journal, it's a commitment of sorts, and it eliminates compulsive choices. I just look at my journal to see what is for breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/snack. I eat about 2-3 hours apart. It works for me, because those times I want to eat...I now say hold on, in an hour or ? you will have your snack/lunch/etc, and you can wait until then. This site is filled with suggestions on low cal/low to zero fat food.

I am 56 years old and have hypothryodism, and in spite of that, by drinking at least 64oz of water a day, journaling the night before and walking anywhere from 100 to 120 minutes a week, I have shed 48# in 16 weeks, which averages out to 3# a week.
I am a member of Weight Watchers, it's the best for me, but there are all sorts of programs that are working for a lot of people. No doubt, as time goes on and I get closer to goal, the weight loss wont be as much.

Wishing you success on a daily basis, with a pleasant surprise at the end of your week when it's weigh in time.

Darlene

Last edited by Darby10; 07-06-2002 at 02:18 AM.
Closed Thread