Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 07:54 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default support groups

yes, folks. here we go again!!! some of you have already survived my rants about the [lack of] support group run by the obesity center i attend. it's about as useful as an old bra!!!!

at the last meeting, there were well over 100 people, and those who are more than a year along ignore the newbies and have no interest in participating. we're all bored to tears, except for those who are 1 month or less out.

i know some of you have support groups that actually work, so if you can post how your group functions, what does well, what doesn't, how things have changed or are changing. any information will help.

thanks everyone!!!!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:41 AM   #2  
Hang In There

We've only been to our support group once just this month, but we were very impressed with it. It is run completely by former patients with the help of the doctors. There was an introduction and then the doctor spoke a few minutes about some new proceudres they are using, then there was a topic assigned and everyone had a piece of paper about 3x3 inches and were told to write their questions partaining to the topic. They were taken up and the moderator read the questions to a panel of 4 over a year post op patients.

Another thing that really helps our doctors group is that it has it's own website forum (I think you can check it out {read only} at yahoo groups/BaylorWLS ) Every patient can post on the web site and have their basic questions, like "can I eat eggs" answere there so that they don't have to take up the time of everyone at the meeting.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:19 PM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

Wow Jiff, that's a huge support group.

Barb sounds like you and the hubby have a pretty good support group.

I like my support group, it's not run by a specific doctor, anyone can come. Its called Wings Around Atlanta. I annouced that 3fc's had a WLS forum at our last meeting on the 15th of June. I was hoping we would get a few more members, but I don't think we have.

Our group is a pretty good mix of post and pre-ops. Of course, all the pre-ops ask the same questions, but the two leaders do a great job of splitting the time between pre-op concerns and post-op concerns.

Jiff our next meeting is July 20th, if you want, we could drop in for a few minutes. Guess we will have to play that one by ear. Think about it, we could drag dear peachie and the rest of the chicks with us if they wanted to go. Or we could drop them off at Target while we went.

Debbie
Old 06-22-2002, 10:12 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

deb... don't have to think about it. let's go!!! peachie might tag along, but maybe the gang would rather go shopping. that's their choice..

i'd love to see a group that actually works!!!!

i sent the ideas you and barb gave me, along with a few others, to the group's coordinator, and she responded very positively. i think there will be a few changes. people really seem to care that this works, for a wide range of reasons, from wanting us to do well to marketing their services. happy patients tell others how well their experience is going.

unhappy patients complain to the world.
Closed Thread