UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Default 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight

Did anyone watch this programme on the BBC last night? I thought it was very good at dispelling some diet myths and at proving some others. I thought it was amazing at the amount of 'under recorded' calories the participant in one experiment made - around 60% over when doing a video journal and still around 40% over when writing it down (although I could see immediately that her portion size was way of mark).

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Oh, I missed that!

Can I catch up I wonder?

Oh, yes I can http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Losing_Weight/

I'll have a look!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Anyone have a link to it you can watch outside the UK? I've been searching but can't find one
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I went to the documentaries site and got a partial list of the tips; but I can't seem to watch the show either (probably becuz I'm only dial-up, not high-speed, I think). Is there somewhere where we can get the 10 tips in a written list? I would really like to see them; everything helps ...

So far this is what I could find --

1) journaling what we eat is often very inaccurate; we often way underestimate how much we eat each day (up to 40-60% each day). Be sure to mark down every snack and nibble and dab of sauce you eat ...

2) eating soup has a physical benefit to help us feel fuller longer (which I have already noticed and I have soup almost every day). Soup stays in the stomach longer than regular food + water.

3) changing little things in your daily routine can help you burn more calories (walking instead of taking a ride; using stairs instead of elevators; walk while on the phone or talking; walk while taking breaks; count daily chores as activities, spreading them over the week, etc)

4) eating LOW-FAT dairy products helps to extract fat from 'other' foods we eat as well. The calcium binds with the fat from other foods we eat and cannot be digested, so it is eliminated from the body (good to know).

5) how the brain reacts when we skip meals -- it thinks we are starving and (correction) urges us to eat high-fat foods to get some nourishment.

6) eat less -- watch how many calories you eat over all; many people think they have a slow metabolism when they don't. Larger people have a higher metabolism, and even though they may be as active as a slimmer counterpart, slim people just eat much less (up to 50% less each day).

7) watch your portions -- use smaller plates and bowls (measure amounts); and watch out for super-sizing: choose the small size of all servings.

8) too much variety and choice -- can encourage us to eat too much ie buffets, bbq's, potlucks, and freebees. Remember to choose lean proteins, low cal veggies, and low-fat dairy meals; and watch portions (one smaller plate).

9) eat more lean protein in all your meals; protein helps you to feel fuller much longer, ie ham and eggs is a better breakfast than puffy cereal and orange juice for satiety.

10) do some kind of regular exercise each day (ie many experts recommend at least 60 minutes now); as the effect can last overnight and well into the next day. Carbs are used up first; then later on, fat stores are used up until we re-fuel again.

Note: I updated my list and added the other five with some small explanations. Thanks everyone ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-28-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
4) eating low-fat dairy products helps to extract fat from 'other' foods we eat as well.
I have no idea what this one means
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #6  
Soul Cyster

Thanks for the partial list- yup I was looking for a list too and all I could find was the soup one!

I love soup so I'm like hmmmmm maybe I'll start eating more soups. I'm guessing they mean brothy and not creamy
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #7  
Rosebud

JULIE ~ neither do I ... I couldn't even guess what they mean on that one. Here's the quote I found -- Plus, musician Alex James, who is a passionate cheese maker, tries out an intriguing scientific discovery - that low-fat dairy products can help you excrete more fat from all your food.

BEERAB ~ I have soup almost every day for lunch and sometimes, will have a nice chunky one for dinner (ie lean meatball soup with veggies). Today, I had homemade cream of chicken vegetable (you can make it creamy just by whizzing some of the veggies and using skim non-fat milk for part of the water in the soup. I just had that with one slice of whole wheat bran bread (by Country Harvest) for my lunch plus an ounce of cheese for protein.

I have asked another lady friend here from the UK (PURPLEORC) to see if she can find the show and share the details; she is an avid documentary show watcher and may have seen it last night. I'm sure she will try to get it for us and I will pass on what I find out ...
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #8  
The Last 10lbs!

I saw a bit of it last night. The dairy thing essentially proved that a diet high in low-fat dairy products means you absorb less fat into your body. The dairy lets more comes out when you go to the bathroom. There's a link to a similar BBC program on Google's video site called The Truth About Food and they essentially proved the same thing and did a lot of the same tests.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #9  
The tortoise

Oh, good to know about the dairy thing, sainsbury's has mullerlights on sale today I shall go shopping.
Cleophas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #10  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

1. Don't Skip Meal:
Brain has primitive response, craving high kcal foods to compensate.
MRI scan showed that on a day he fasted, there was more brain activity when show high kcal food, rather than low.
On a non-fast day there isn't much difference in brain activity between high and low kcal foods.
Note: Ghrelin

2. Use Smaller plate:

down-shifting plate size, you may eat 22%less food i.e. 12inch plate to 10in.

3. Count your Calories.
Choose low kcal versions of food, possibly halve kcal intake.

4. Don't blame your Metabolism
(count calories).
You can forget up to 50% of what you've eaten. We forget to add the snack, healthy foods do not count towards kcals, large portion sizes.

5. Protein stave's off hunger pains.

High protein foods keep you fuller for longer, Hunger pangs cause release for ghrelin, to fool brain, eat protein(hence fuller for longer). 10%more protein in meal can ward off hunger pangs.
(lean meats etc.)

6. Soup Keeps you Fuller for longer.

food eaten with a a glass of fluid= Fluid cause stomach to expand suddenly, food stays solid, water drains leaved the morsels of food between, which mean the stomach is dramatically smaller quite quickly.
food bended with water to produce soup= stomach expans quick, but the stomach takes longer to empty as the water is dispersed withing the water.

7. The wider the choice; the more you eat.
People seek variety, in a buffet situation people may eat 30% more.

8. Calcium found in (lowfat)dairy may help weightloss.

Dairy Calcium, reacts in the small intestine binds to fat molecules in foods. These molecules can't be absorbed, therefore is excreted.

9. Exercise goes on burning fat, even whilst you sleep.
Burn kcals during exercise. But also burn kcals at a higher rate upto 24hours after exercise.
During the exercise,our bodies uses diff fuels to During exercise, our bodies use mostly carbs as easier for body to burn, after exercise these stores are largely used up.
For the next(upto) 24hrs we burn fat stores to maintain bodily functions(whilst replacing the carb stores).

10. Keep Moving and Lose weight.

Small modifications in daily routine increase energy used. Keep active.
Note. don't eat more, same diet.

I just watched the thing again to get the points :S
Hope it is helpful.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8068733.stm

--
¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #11  
Rosebud

THANKS ANGELEYEZX ~ I had just managed to find 9 from a google search; and your list gave me the tenth about 'variety' which I had in with watching portions. Some of the points we already know, but others were very interesting like the calcium binding with fat and leaving the body ...
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

Thanks so much for posting! No wonder my hubby is so thin- he drinks a ton of milk lol
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I wonder if the milk "rule" is why they say milk drinkers lose up to 3 times more weight than non dairy dieters? Anyone see those milk commercials?

I thought it was just a marketing ploy.... but hey--- if low fat milk in my latte works---- I am all for it!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
I wonder if the milk "rule" is why they say milk drinkers lose up to 3 times more weight than non dairy dieters? Anyone see those milk commercials?

I thought it was just a marketing ploy.... but hey--- if low fat milk in my latte works---- I am all for it!
oh, I agree! that I thought it was just a marketing ploy. I could eat nonfat yogurt all day, and I love a glass of cold skim milk. Good to know that there's some extra fat extraction going on that I didn't even know about!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #15  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

It is important that they stressed that including lowfat diary doen't mean extra kcals, I mean and non-dairy and low-fat dairy diet should have the same energy consumption.
I'm also curious, they stressed the importance of DAIRY CALCIUM, I suppose using soy milk instead would not have the same effect(I switched recently to see if if made a difference to me).
Hopefully no one will go on a calcium bender (lol) as too much calcium also causes stomach upset, diaohhrea, kidney stones etc.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote