Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #1  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Excited about this tortilla!

I've FINALLY found a tortilla/wrap that I really like! I've tried countless soft tortillas that are low cal, or low carb or whatever and they just taste so gross but this one really tastes like the real thing!

It's Ole Mexican Foods brand and they have a line of tortillas called "Extreme Wellness." There are a few different varieties but I've only had the spinach and herb (which is decent) and the one labeled high fiber (which is truly excellent!) that has just a "regular flour tortilla" flavor. Just 70 calories! And they really are a decent size, not too small.

My only question is the label says it has 5 g of carbs.....but 12 g of fiber. Is that possible? Is it just that I'm so used to seeing foods with a lower fiber count than carb? Fiber is a carb so how can their be more grams of that than carbs?

HERE'S a link to their site, although I couldn't find nutrition facts on there. I bought mine at the local Shop Rite.

Last edited by Fox; 05-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  

What a lot of companies do is subtract the fiber from the total carbs because they aren't digestible.. some don't. Wish there was a standard.

And then they calcluate the calories from the remaining fat, carbs and proteins - 2X 9 - 18 5X 4 - 20 and 8X 4 - 32 total of 70 calories.

If they dind't subtract the fiber from the carbs, you would be looking at an additional 48 calories per tortilla... its all calculations.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Does the label say 5g "net" carbs? Or possibly 5g sugars (seems unlikely in such a product). I don't think I've ever seen the official nutritional label subtract out the fiber, just the "claims" on the packaging.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #4  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Fiber One cereal subtracts the fiber from their calorie count on the box, so I'd definitely say that it creeps up on nutritional labels too. I'd bet that the tortillas have 17 g of carbs, but only 5 net since fiber is not digestible.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Yeah, the fiber calories don't count since you can't digest them. Most food products that are formulated to be "high fiber" or that are using fiber for bulk that doesn't add calories won't count the fiber in the calories (that would sort of defeat the purpose of adding fiber for bulk).

I agree, I wish there was a standard. In fact, I wish the standard were to not include the fiber. I eat a lot of fiber--I'm coming in at 56g today (which is a lot --I haven't been paying attending to fiber in my diet and had no idea I was eating this much, maybe I should cut back a bit). At 4 calories per gram, that could be up to 200 calories that I'm counting in my calorie total for the day that I'm not able to digest.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You've seen labels that include calories for fiber?

I think the question was whether the fiber was included in the carb grams, not whether it was included in the calories.

I must have had a very sheltered nutritional label life
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote