Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #1  
herself

S/C/G: 190/121/110

Height: 5'3

Default Jello is your friend

Firstly...there is no Jello where I come from, and I didn't discover it before I started to travel. Now that I live abroad, I can't stop praising the delightful product!
It is fat free, and the Lite -kind has only 7 kcal per serving. Perfect for people whose sweet tooth aches from time to time. Not sure how I managed without it for so long in the past.

Yesterday I made another fun discovery. My sweet-tooth was aching big time, so I desided to make a mug cake to help it (bad me). You know...those quik and easy ones that get ready in 3 mins in microwave.
Well, because sugar is the source of all evil, I don't have any in the house. And as many who use sweetener may know: sweetener looses the sweetness when it gets heated.

But Jello doesn't! That's right, I used jello-powder straight from the satchet in place of sugar. Not only did it hold the sweetness in the microwave, but it also added so much fruity yummy flavor that I didn't need any milk in the cake! Less calorie score
Now, that inspired to make me go for EVEN LESSER calories, and used egg whites instead of a whole egg. What I finally ended up with was a wholemeal, no sugar mugcake that countains only about 150 kcal. Here is how I did it:

1 egg or 2 egg whites
jello powder (about half a satchet. more to taste)
half a dl/2 tablespoons of flour
half to 1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of oil
water

mix up in a mug. Use water so that the mix looks a bit like pancake mix or a very thick milkshake.
Heat up 3 minutes in microwave. Done!

now, in a mug it looks kinda small....so I put it on a little wider tray and made an actual cake out of it. And then decorated it with vanilla dressing and berries.
And I am getting carried away... I will be sure to try more jello in sweet baking to see what happens!
MadScientress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

I've never heard of a mug cake in my life. I am intrigued......
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #3  
the 20 year old wonder.

S/C/G: 186.2/182/130

Height: 5'7''

do you think you could use jell-o sugar free chocolate pudding for this?
freakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250+/200?/160

Height: 5'8"

Mmmmm.....I'm intrigued, too. This would be good with some fruit thrown in, wouldn't it? Kind of like a cobbler, and then I could feel like it was a little healthier. Thanks for posting a great idea, Mad Scientress.
Annie Pele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh my, sounds too good to be true, I have some jello in the house and I'm going to try this!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote