Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/249/155

Height: 5'9''

Default Depressed & Burnt Out

I am so tired of diets. I am actually crying because I'm just frustrated, burnt out and not feeling very hopeful. I am TIRED of spending money on books, pills, powders, programs. I am pledging that other then one small inexpensive calorie counter book (not a journal - just the data) I am not spending another dollar on "diets".

I am just throwing it all out. After 10 years of trying every single diet on the planet and either not making it through a day or losing a lot but then regaining it I'm just going to keep it simple and count calories.

Okay, so when I count calories I don't always eat lots of veggies because they are hard to look up so I need a book or something (I can not get on the p.c. during the day and don't have a printer).

My only issue is that I tend to eat a bunch at night so to REALLY keep it simple I am taking my calorie goal -- 1800 and dividing it by three...

so from the time I get up to noon I can eat up to 600 calories
from noon to 5 I can get 600 calories
and from 5 to bedtime (typically around 1 a.m.) I can eat 600 calories.

Breaking it up should really help me take it one "meal" at a time. I can have a meal and snack (mini-meals). I can use common sense and focus on whole grains, lean proteins, fruits and veggies. Without a book or plan or program telling me what I have to do - where I went wrong. If I slip one day I'll just pick myself right up. If I have a bad night and eat 3000 extra calories I will STILL count it and not just "start over tomorrow". I will count it and move on.

I will exercise 30 minutes everyday. I know, I know, I should be doing an hour - but when I set myself up to fail I do. Instead I need to concentrate on goals that make sense for me, that I can achieve. 30 minutes EVERYDAY - I can alternate things like walking, weight training, videos, my stepper at home, playing tag with the kids, etc... Make it simple and fun.

I need a lot of support. I have "failed" (in my mind) for 10 years straight. I am 100 lbs overweight. I am 32 years old with extremely poor health (prediabetes, very high blood pressure, high trig. high cholesterol, depression from the weight problems).

I have a notebook and a pen and the forum here for support. K.I.S.S. - nothing fancy and no magic answer.

Thanks for reading
hoosiermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #2  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

Sounds like you have a plan! I am right there with you... after doing other diets and pills I have come back to calorie counting as well. I too, am in quite poor health for my age.

Bi polar, about 300lbs, just quit smoking after 17 years, hypoglycemic.. and i'm sure on my way to diabetes if I am not already there and dont know it and I have a host of other issues like RLS, asthma, bad lower back... it goes on and on. Scary to think about that in my early 30's.

We will make it. We will be healthy and happy.

I need lots of support as well so lets check in with each other!

I am most of the way through day 1!
gothik butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #3  
Im naked under my clothes

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/165

Height: 5' 7

Baby we are all in this together! That's why we're here.We have all have our up and downs but we need to keep our eyes on the prize. I heard this saying and I find it to be so true "It's the start that stops us". We think of all the work we need to put into something in order to be successful and that's often overwhelming. I'm new to this but what I like most so far is the mini goals which for me makes my goals more obtainable.
Getting Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

You sound like you've got a really good plan, and I'm impressed at the 30 mins exercise, I currently do 0 minutes but I'm not proud of that.

Veggies and fruit are really big helps in weightloss but yes, they can be hard to look up in a book. So you could look at some of the online calorie counters/weight trackers that are availble. I use dietpower but it's not free, there's a one-off purchase price, but others use fitday and daily plate and others that are free. The big help with all of them is that they help you keep track of your nutrients too. I cannot keep a good level of vitamins and minerals just from food when I'm on a calorie restricted diet, and feeling worse than you did before you started is a big de-motivator!

Good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What you have planned sounds just right to me! And you'll learn from it as you go!

Stick with it! It sounds quite do-able!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sounds like you've come to a great realization and there will be great change in your life due to it!!! And you should be excited by it. There are wonderful things in your future.

The calorie counting thing, well it does take a bit getting used to it. But get used to it you will, rest assured. You will come to realize just what a "sensible" lifestyle it is. Holding oneself accountable and keeping tabs on your caloric intake is a very rational, reasonable and healthy thing to do. Enjoy the process as your eating choices will change and evolve.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/169/135

Height: 5' 2"

You may have "failed" for 10 years, but you sound like you're going to succeed this time! You've got a great plan mapped out.

I'd suggest adding one more tool to your notebook and pen - a set of measuring spoons and measuring cups. Don't try to guess or eyeball portion sizes, measure them. It's very eye-opening, and the portions may seem small at first, but it will help to keep you from accidentally going over your calorie target. (I know some people here love their diet scales too, but I don't have one.)
lovelosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like you have a great plan. I chose calorie counting because I am also burnt out from diets.

With that said, I haven't been keeping OP however. I really should get back to it asap.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 03-24-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake...oops!
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #9  
www.youtube.com/bsbuntin

S/C/G: 251/seeticker/150

Height: 5'7"

hi hoosiermama! I am also a hoosier
I use Weight by date pro. I love it. and it has a moble download for my phone.
USAlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you do have good plan going forward.

Regarding veggies, just a possible suggestion, how about planning calories/counting calories the night before in terms of veggies? I also have heard others don't count calories for veggies and leave themselves a 'veggie calorie buffer' of sorts.

I pack my lunches the night before so I have a good idea what I'm eating the next day its pretty easy to count calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I plan my day the night before, or worst case scenario early the morning of. I work in a restaurant and eat lunch here, so planning my mornings doesn't really require a lot of planning. Where I fall is if I don't plan the evenings - I have to know exactly what I'm going to be consuming from about 3:00 on until bedtime or I go crazy. It makes it a lot easier to count the calories when I list out what I'm going to be eating and then stick to the list.

Good luck honey! You can do this!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

Sounds like you are going to do great! The plan is a great start too.

I myself am a little more free with myself and my eating habits (calories thru out the day) but it all has to add up at the end of the day. Don't be afraid to mix things up if they are not working for you. That is the best part of calorie counting.

I am a night time eater too and I usually save a lot of calories for my supper.

Also I am not that great with the fresh veggies so I get frozen ones. These are much easier to track because you can read the bag and use a measuring cup. I will make my way over to the fresh sooner or later.

Also, try making your own food reference or food log. This has helped me because I repeat eating a lot of things so I can just go back and look at the last time I ate it!

Oh and my hardest hurdle during my first week or two was being hungry all the time. I learned protien and fiber were my best friends. I keep Special K Protien bars (180 calories ) and Fiber One granola bars (140 calories) on hand all the time. Plus an apple is a great low calorie snack! They help me a lot. Then the rest just came with time.

Just remember to stick with what ever you choose. There is going to be rough times and then sometimes it will be second nature. When it gets a little rough and you feel weak mix things up or if you slip up just get back on that horse! In time it will all be worth it!

Good luck and I hope my hints help if you need them!
Phyxius79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiermama View Post
My only issue is that I tend to eat a bunch at night so to REALLY keep it simple I am taking my calorie goal -- 1800 and dividing it by three...

so from the time I get up to noon I can eat up to 600 calories
from noon to 5 I can get 600 calories
and from 5 to bedtime (typically around 1 a.m.) I can eat 600 calories...

Hello and welcome! I made a vow like yours a little over a year ago and the results have been nothing short of a miracle. I will never spend a dime again to lose weight! NEVER!

Something I would like to mention is that there is no set rules on how you have to split up your calories for the day. If you are more of a night time eater...than eat more at night. I eat the most percentage of my calories in the evenings and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight.

You could always deduct 100 calories from your other 2 meals and save even more for supper. say 500, 600 & 700 *or* 500, 500 & 800. How ever you can be successful is the BEST plan for you! See ya around!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/224/170

Height: 5'4

Amen....after YEARS of gimmicks and fad diets and so forth I have decided to try...( for the 1st time ) CALORIE COUNTING! And lo and behold...its working..slowly but surely. And I have found that this method is much easier then any gimmick ever! Simply becaue NOTHING is forbidden, but you do have to exercise restraint
I also have began an exercise routine....30 min of strength and about 30 of cardio 4-5 times a week...
Losing weight is not easy but it is DOABLE..and WE can ALL do it..one meal at a time.
By the way..I stumbled upon Myfitnesspal.com.........and it is very user friendly, it has tons of foods already there, grocery store stuff, name brand which for me made keeping track much easier. good luck...you'll do fine
Stormcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #15  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

I would recommend the Calorie King calorie count book (it's small, cheap and easy to use). The companion (free) website is also very good for looking up information. One thing I do also is to have one page in my food diary to keep a list of calorie counts for food that I eat often, so it's an easy & quick reference. I eat similarly to you in blocks of calories (500-550 for breakfast & morning snack, the same for lunch & afternoon snack, 300-350 for dinner and around 100 for dessert). Another thing that really worked well for me to reduce obsessing over food/diet was to go from writing down every item I ate along with the calorie count to just writing down how many calories each meal or snack totaled.

Your plan and attitude sound very solid to me. Best wishes!

Last edited by Rif; 03-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote