South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #1  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Default question about carbs

Do carbs play a roll in SBD. I see lots of recipes with low carb and am wondering what to watch for when adapting it to SBD.
Totally confused on this issue.
Sophie
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

In theory SB is not a low carb diet- it is a good carb diet. Ones coming from whole grains and fresh fruits mainly- Check out the sbd faq section it has lots of info on this-and if you haven't read the book yet you really should! Its extremely helpful!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Sophie -

The SB book really stresses the importance of carbs in a well balanced, healthy diet. It incorporates healthy, slow digesting, "good" carbs in its philosophy.

The question about adapting low carb recipes to a South Beach recipe is rather broad. If you could post the recipe, or an example of the recipe in question it would be easier to answer the question.

I agree with rdw1, if you haven't read the book...it's important to do so. It is important to have an understanding of why we make the choices that we do on this plan and why some foods are better than others. The books are readily available at the library, and I've seen older copies at used book stores. Reading an older version will get you basically the same principals, but will not have updated food lists....not to fret, as Ruth and our other lovely mods have posted updated food lists in the FAQ section.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Sophie, what you should be looking for in a recipe are the ingredients. First of all, make sure it is 100% whole grain, and check for the amounts of sugar and fats in it. There are good carbs and bad carbs, so a recipe can be high or low in carbs, but if they're not the good carbs, it's not SBD friendly.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #5  

It's not low carb but good carb SOOOOOOO if you fine a candy bar made with Whole Wheat Flour instead of refined sugar let me know because it would be legal.

Sorry, just kidding around.

The importance is how quickly the carbs are digested and enter the blood stream. Therefore we select things like Whole Wheat Flour over White Flour because it is less refined and digests more slowly. This is what helps offset the insulin spikes that can bring on the cravings. So basically we stay away from carbs that digest to quickly, i.e. potatoes, refined sugars, white flour, corn, etc. and select the carbs that digest more slowly, i.e. whole wheat flour, green veggies, fresh fruit. That is why when you are making choices the ingredience are more important because the actual number of carbs aren’t the unit of measure but rather where they come from is.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Yeah what they all said ^. Just make sure what you do choose has 100% Whole Wheat in it...not Wheat Flour. Big difference.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 10-22-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD Sass View Post
Yeah what they all said ^. Just make sure what you do choose has 100% Whole Wheat in it...not Wheat Flour. Big difference.
You are right, I was just visualizing what I had in my pantry.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #8  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

thanks for the reply. I have a copy of the old version and will reread it. I guess that I was googling low carb and just saw so many recipes in Recipezaar for low carb that I wondered. I am craving cheesecake and will make it with the low fat cream cheese, can't find no fat here.
thanks
sophie
Closed Thread