Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #1  

Default My own plan of sorts..

Hello...
I posted of a 25 lb loss this morning on the success board and wanted to share this with you all. I've been watching what I eat for about 2 1/2 months or so, maybe a tad bit longer. I have not changed one thing except my portion sizes of everything that I eat. I don't buy food any differently than I did 25 lbs ago and with the cost of food and feeding a family of 6 I can guarantee I won't be buying much else than our normal cheap foods for the next 2 1/2 months again.

This is not healthy by far nutritiously speaking I'm sure, but I have to feed a large family. I'm still cooking mac-n-cheese w/ hot dogs (fat free and beef if on sale) for supper sometimes, hamburger helper for dinner is what we had tonight w/ peas on the side etc. I just wanted to share that even if you don't have the money to buy all the good foods from health food stores or extra lean meats from the grocery stores, you can still lose weight and be healthier (although not sure how healthy after eating hot dogs so much, LOL). I simply cut back on what I put on my plate then get up immediately and do the dishes after I eat what's on my plate. No temptation laying around. I'm even able to take 1 handful of chips (if we buy them for a treat) and be satisfied w/ them, and I am a chip-o-holic.

Just a little encouragement for anyone struggling with buying healthy foods, use your old cookbooks and look for budget friendly recipes and take a tablespoon or two of everything you make, eventually your stomach will shrink and fill up on the amount of food you give it. Now, I just have to start that one dirty word....exercise.

Good luck to all!!
emndarmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #2  
banned

congrats!
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Yea! , congrats on your weight loss.
I, too, feel the key to losing weight is portion control.
We're so used to "super-sizing", that we've lost sight of what a normal portion size is.
I have a friend who has been doing Nutrisystems for 2 yrs! She wanted to lose 20 lbs. She finally just quit doing it because she's not losing anymore and it was getting too expensive (I can't believe she stuck with it for that long, myself). But, I think her problem was overeating, even though she was following "the plan". I only saw what she ate for supper but she'd have: a green salad, her nutrisystem entree, a side vegetable, and an apple. Everything she's eating is healthy, but she's probably overeating.

I still have problems with chips! That's great that you have control over them

Congrats to you for finding what works for you! Take care
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

It's nice to know you found something that works for you and is cost efficient! I think too many people overlook the fact that a particular diet or plan of exercise is NOT for everyone. I too have started a diet of my own, partly for cost reasons, only the opposite of yours.

I just started eating a ton of fruits and vegetables and cut way back on the pizza and chinese food (I'm in college) and I eat until I'm full. 16 lbs and counting!

I found that spending the extra dollars to buy some lettuce and tomatoes would ultimately be cheaper in the long run by giving me far more meals than the cheap and easy to prepare foods. Why is that they healthier food is more expensive !?
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Congrats!!

I agree with you... I still enjoy my ice cream but instead of every night, maybe once every couple of weeks. I made little changes like going from eating everything on a roll to eating everything on a wrap or in a 70 calorie pita... not expensive to make this small change... One key to success is not to deprive yourself of anything...

Keep up the good work!!
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote