Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - March 25, 2002

Morning everyone. The coffee is on. Come in for a chat.

I spent the weekend puttering but didn't accomplish much. Did get out for a run a couple of times. Temps weren't bad but the wind howled all weekend, making things kinda nippy in the wind chill dept.

Got a haircut and highlights on Saturday. I'm happy with the outcome but the cost continues to amaze me. If I had more guts, I'd do it myself but I'd likely end up paying more to repair the damage.

Getting impatient for the warmer weather; the gardening books are out and flower fever is beginning to build.

Bad weekend points wise. Darn those chocolate easter eggs...

How is everyone?
Old 03-25-2002, 08:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning Seasaw!

I had the same run-in with the chocolate Easter eggs...I overdosed on the mini caramel ones (Nestle)...I think I've had my share of chocolate and have no desire for any more, lol.

Didn't do a whole lot over the weekend...I pulled a muscle in the top of my back and it burns whenever I turn my head or lie down. I've been nursing it the past 2 days. I know it's from moving some stuff around the office...it wasn't that heavy but obviously I strained something.

I was supposed to get my hair trimmed Friday evening but the weather turned nasty and my hairdresser canceled...ugh! Anyway, I'm ready for a much needed trim. I've tried to highlight before and ended up having to color my hair with Nice & Easy to undo what I had done so now I leave it up to my hairdresser.

I'm just as impatient for the nice weather...it started snowing again last evening and this morning the roads were icy. It's clear now but they're calling for heavy snow this afternoon, which I'm sure will hit it's peak just as I'm leaving work!

Anyway, on a happier note, it's a short week for me Only 3 days of work this week. I am so looking forward to some time off. Hope everyone else is doing okay and didn't get run over by the chocolate Easter bunnies
Old 03-25-2002, 10:04 AM   #3  

Seasaw, what flowers are you planting this year? Nova Scotia has such lovely gardens; your flowers don't burn up in the summer heat, like ours do! Dh and I planted lots of herbs this weekend: basil, marjoram, thyme, sage, and some veggies (tomatoes & peppers). Our oregano, mint and rosemary all made it thru the winter ok. (Anyone else here into culinary herbs? They've really helped us to cook more creatively, with less fat.)

Lala, glad you're in San Diego now! What a beautiful town. Do you stay at that grand old hotel out on the island...can't remember its name, Commodore maybe?

Melissa, sorry you pulled a muscle! Hope it's better soon. Re: short week, me too; looking forward to a little R&R! We're heading to Mexico for a little shopping, and hopefully lots of walking too. Might be warm enought to swim; hope so, anyway!

Happy Monday, everybody!
Jan
Old 03-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #4  

Jan,
I love my herb garden. The only ones that made it through this winter were rosemary and chive. I figured the sage would make it here in CA since it grows wild, but I guess it wasn't fully established. We have already planted snap peas, radish, and carrots. Next month we will plant the basil, parsley, tomatos, edemame, peppers and cucumber. I also want to plant Bay Laurel in my yard (bay leaf). It grows quite well as a perenial in CA.

Everyone,
I did ok with exercise this weekend (kickboxing on Sat and 2 mile walk on Sun); but my chocoholic FIL is in town for his 80th birthday , so I have to confess I havent even been countng points. He leaves on Wed. Then life can get back to normal.

Hugs,
JanieD

Last edited by JanieD; 03-25-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:13 PM   #5  

Hi everyone. Well, I officially fell off the wagon this weekend. It all started on Friday and it's been downhill ever since.........didn't even bother to count points. It all started with too much wine and ended with too much chocolate. But, I'm back on track today and already feel better.

I have to complain about the weather again - so far, we have had the coldest March on record since 1938 - how charming. Perhaps this is partly why I'm feeling so crappy.

I'm only in the office two days this week so I'll be out of touch for a quite a few days.

Have a good week everyone.

Kena
Old 03-26-2002, 04:46 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Back in nippy seattle. It was nice yesterday, I wore capris to work today and am freezing. Oh well.

Janet- I stay at casa di parentis (mom and dad's) in lovely la jolla. Ocean view and grand accomodations. I would rate it a four star, though catering was on strike on Sunday .

The hotel you are thinking of is the hotel del coronado - it is lovely. My parents stayed there a bunch when they were first scouting out homes in SD.

I have been out of sorts with life recently. I haven't gotten back into the WW groove. Didn't eat too much over points while travelling, but realized that little things like not staying in a hotel (stayed with a friend) and not having a routine really screwed me up.

I also came home to a bald kitty. My cat has some sort of bacterial infection and parts of her 15.5 yo belly is naked. The vet put her on antibiotics and we're trying not to make fun of her. If she continues to clean around that area, its going to be an elizabethan collar for her.

Nothing much planned, have bunches of people coming over for easter egg hunting and persian new year dinner on sunday. My cleaning diety is not coming this week, so I guess I'll have to do it myself. Darn it.

seesaw and melissa- I'm having hair angst now. My haircut is relatively inexpensive (around 60 bucks), but when you factor in the 500 dollar plane ticket to London, then its really pricey. May have to get a trim here this week and get a cut at the end of April when I have a confirmed trip to London.

Sorry to be so verbose - stay warm and dry folks!

lala
Old 03-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #7  

Hi everyone! The weather here is still crummy...more snow and ice...when will it end?!?

I'm hoping the weather clears as I've got an appointment to get my hair done tomorrow night. Tomorrow also marks the last day of the work week for me as well as my ww meeting. I'm glad I'll have some time off.

I've been a slug in the exercise department but have gone out and braved the cold on my lunch hour and have gotten in some walking. I've also been on a munching binge where nothing is satisfying me and I feel hungry. It's not like I'm not getting my protein either so that's not the problem. I think it's more pre-TOM. Oh well...I'll keep plugging away.

Lala: Still way too cold here for capris...it's only in the 30's and we've had the 2nd snowiest March on record with almost 31"; I'm thinking we're going to break the record if the snow keeps up. It's coming down pretty good now.

Kena: Boy, I can relate to you with the weather complaints. My spring flowers are going to crawl back underground pretty soon!

Catch everyone tomorrow!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #8  

Hi everyone. It's my last day of work for this week - off for five whole glorious days. DH and I are heading to New Brunswick to visit our parents - his overnight tomorrow and mine for the rest of the weekend. They're farther away and we don't get to see them that much.

Melissa and Kena: I'm trying to send good weather vibes your way, but the wind keeps pushing 'em back! It's raining here - dark and gloomy - but on the flip side, the snow that we got late last week is disappearing fast. I think we're expecting rain for most of the next two to three days.

lala: OK, I'll stop complaining about the cost of hair care. At least I don't have to get through airport security for a trim How's the cat?

Janie: It is my Dad's 80th birthday on April 2nd. He's in pretty good health physically (would be even better if he'd stay away from the sweets) but his short term memory is crap. It hurts to see him confused and unsure of himself. But he has a lot of good days too so we're thankful for that.

Janet: Haven't made any hard and fast decision re flowers for this year. It's still way to early for us to do anything but dream. OK, we can rake up winter leftovers but planting is out of the question til after the long weekend in May. Even then, we are at risk for frost. I'm hoping to add to my shade garden out back - a few perennials, then different types of coleus which have worked well in other years. Evenutally we plan to do away with the front lawn altogether and replace it with shrubs, perennials and annuals. Nothing to mow

Gotta run. Have a great weekend everyone, however you plan to spend it. Above all, limit the chocolate.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:19 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

We seem to be in a warmer weather band here. I did keep the capris in the closet today and am back to normal pants. For me, being a shortie, capris are awesome. I love them.

seesaw- miss royapoya is better, thanks. Still bald and still not happy about the antibiotics, but she seems pretty perky.

You ladies that color and frost your hair- you do this to cover up your anomalous and not longer dark hairs? I have about four and am thinking that lightening my dark hair would be a bit too much, but I could go for a change. Its the maintenance that would kill me.

Janet- was it you that had the ipod? I am looking at the new imacs and falling in love. They are sooo cute and if I run virtual pc, I could do almost everything I needed on a mac. I could get an ipod then too.

Funny how we have decadal bds going on here. We just celebrated my dad's 70th this weekend. Good cake and good company.

I have yet to buy our easter egg chocolate. I'm waiting until saturday.

lala
Old 03-28-2002, 08:18 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies!
Since the sunrise is happening earlier, my early morning wakefulness has again reared its ugly head!

Sorry I've been gone so much lately, but not working has really made it much more of a effort to go online (maybe I was doing a little too much of it at my former job!).

The weather here has been mostly crappy for the month of March: very windy and sour outside. It was pretty decent yesterday (the wind is so strong) & today we're supposed to hit 55 degrees. I keep saying that this better be the last week that I have to wear a sweater. I'm itching to get out the capri pants & short sleeved shirts, too, Melissa !

I did have a job interview yesterday & it seemed to go pretty well (of course, that's what I thought about the last one & I didn't get a job offer). The guy I interviewed with told me that after they interview the initial batch of applicants (about 8 he told me), they'd ask about half of those to come back next week. He told me at the end of the interview to all but expect a call no later than Monday. So, I guess, he was interested enough to let me know that they want me to come again next week for another interview.

My weight is down a little; at my meeting last night, I checked in at 145.6, so at least I am closer to my comfort zone of 142-145.

Seasaw - your mention of you dad being 80 and having short term memory problems reminded me of my dad. It was 2 years ago (on March 26, 2000), that he died at age 78. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease Dec 1996 (I was 7 months' pregnant with my daughter). He had been experiencing pretty bad short term memory loss before that, but seemed to have been covering up his shortcomings pretty well). It's so hard to see your parents getting older. My dad was such a strong-willed, take-charge-kind-of-man, so for him to be crippled with such a disease was especially sad. I was just thankful that he didn't linger on for years on end. Too hard for us kids and my mom to see him that way. Because of his diagnosis, he could never remember my daughter's name - he would affectionately called her "the baby."

Hello to lala, kena, JanetMae, LM, Myra, Janie & anyone else I missed. I'll plan to check in more often.

Later,
Old 03-28-2002, 02:38 PM   #11  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

I've been AWOL lately and I guess it is showing with my weigh ins. Gained .4. Not awful, but a gain. Too much stress, too much work, a tooth infection that kept me from the gym a few days last week, etc. I can lay on the excuses, but I have to stop relying on excuses and get back to the weight losing game. I am determined to at least maintain if not lose something this week. Counting down to May, when this big project is over and I can breathe and sleep again.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:49 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Myra-

I admit that I have been worried about you. Its not like you to skip the journalling part of this group.

Sorry to hear about your tooth too.

I am always amazed how you manage to get as much done (exercise in particular) with your work deadlines.

I was pretty lax the last few weeks because I was sick, its amazing how fast you can get out of a habit and how nice it is to get back into it.

Please take care and don't be too hard on yourself.

lala
Old 03-28-2002, 02:56 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Kt- I noticed that the MKE weather is definitely more spring like. In fact, its warmer than it is here.

I went to the mall yesterday for one thing, ended up seeing a friend from grad school, yakked at the shoe department at nordstrom (great shoes) and ended up skipping yoga. It was nice to catch up and buy shoes. I ended up with a pair of dansko clogs (practical and ugly) and she ended up with a pair of cute cole haan mule-loafer thingies. However, she clued me in on the
yoga studio she goes to, so I'm game for trying it.

I did look at the capris, but decided to wait until I was down a few lbs (2004 maybe ) and do an assessment in my closet- I have lots of things that fit from last year and time to do a bit of clean out.

kt- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your job. Death anniversaries are hard. We try and do something in honor of DP's mom and dad on their birthdays and other memorable days.

other than that, nothing much, I'm hoping we get an answer soon about our seder invite, if not, no biggie. Lots to at home to get ready for sunday.

lala
Old 03-29-2002, 12:36 PM   #14  

Janie, had to laugh at your description, chocoholic fil .... my Dad is 85, used to ignore sweets, but is so addicted now that we have to help him watch his weight. (We cook for him each night, but he's alone during the day. He thinks choc. slimfast is a beverage you drink with your meal!) Your herb garden sounds terrific! Never have grown edamame; is it easy to grow?

KT, congrats on the weight loss and the good job outlook!

Kena, I have that same problem w/points for wine. I often try to cheat myself on the points, as 4 oz is 2, but 8 oz is 3, and a bottle is ten so sharing a bottle would be 5 ... you get the picture, I can rationalize like crazy! I also read that we metabolize it first, thus storing the real food as excess weight more easily. (That's because the body wants to get rid of the toxins fast.) But even knowing all that, I still let it sabotage my efforts from time to time.

Lala, wow, your folks live in La Jolla! It is SO beautiful there! Glad to hear your kitty is improving. Re: the iPod and iMac, yes, they're both terrific! The higher end iMac with the SuperDrive lets you make your own DVD's! (And CD's too.) And did you see the iPhoto software?! I bought OSX for my PowerBook just for that. And I've used VirtualPC for years, as I conduct lots of workshops for teachers on both platforms. It's so easy just to hit a key and switch between Windows and the MacOS. You'll never regret going w/Macs ...

Melissa, sure can empathize with the munchies. Dh and I make lots of WW veggie soup, and that has helped a little, but I still keep foraging late at night.

Seasaw, coleus really are (is?) lovely, so many different colors and patterns! I hope yours grow well this year. We can grow them in baskets for a while, but then the heat gets to them. My most successful plants are cactus, ferns, zinnias, and herbs (because I baby those along and bring all the pots indoors when it freezes, and out of the midday sun in summer). Those lightweight foam pots that look like terra cotta have been a real lifesaver! I fill the bottom w/packing peanuts, instead of gravel, which also helps.

Myra, that's such a tiny gain, it's really maintenance. With this huge project you're doing, maintaining is a victory in itself. I hope you have something fun planned for yourself in May, when you're finished with it!

Dh, Dad and I are headed for the airport to pick up my little sister, coming in from Arizona for Easter. She's such an inspiration to me re: fitness (other stuff too, of course) so maybe I'll get my act together! She's a personal trainer and physical therapist, and helped me lose the 101 lbs; even designed my hand weights routines. We're all headed to Mexico tomorrow (it's a short drive from here); hope to get some swimming in, and will definitely walk lots. Will also use the hotel's fitness equipment a bit. And I've promised myself: solamente UNO margarita! Everyone have a great Easter!
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-29-2002, 09:53 PM   #15  

Hi everyone!

I feel so disconnected with being off of work. I filled in on Thursday morning at WW...my schedule is so off with not being at work and my eating has been out of control...I can tell TOM is due next week. I need to get back on track and stay within my points...the last two days have been 30 pointers...

It was beautiful here today..67 degrees, more Spring-like; downside is the next few days are going to be much cooler *sigh* we keep getting teased with a day of nice weather followed by some yucky stuff.

I'm trying to get motivated to get stuff done for Easter but so far my enthusiasm is lacking, I just don't feel like making the nutrolls and the other stuff. Tomorrow is another day and I'm hoping to tackle the nutrolls and get the eggs colored. Everything always comes together.

Myra: If it's any consolation I had a .6 gain this week as well. I can tell I haven't been journaling or getting my walking in. Some weeks are tougher than others.

Janet: I need to get myself back on a "schedule" of sorts and do more planning; that usually helps and I've found I'm better off to get some small snacks in throughout the day so I don't get over hungry and go overboard later.

Katie: Congrats on getting closer to your comfort zone! I know I feel better when my weight is in that area. I'm anxious for Spring clothes and lighter & brighter colors as well. I do enjoy having the sun shining in the morning when I'm getting ready for work...the dark mornings of winter are tough on me.

Well, enough of my rambling this evening...tomorrow I'm planning on getting my stuff done and hopefully I'll feel more motivated. My younger son is an altar server and will be "serving" our Easter Vigil...I haven't been to one since I was little (about 11) and I remember how a lady had a heart attack in the back of the Church prior to the start of Mass and how the priest went to the back with the oils and the doors were closed...it's amazing how it seems like it was yesterday. Anyway, it'll be a busy day and hopefully an "OP" one

Have a Happy Easter!
Closed Thread