Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #1  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Talking Vanity sizes? Why yes, please!

HA!

This afternoon, I decided I couldn't face the danger of tripping over my falling-down clown pants and accidentally strangling myself on my too-loose bra anymore. Off to the mall!

Three hours later, I'm sitting here in my brand-spanking new Dockers bermuda shorts, size 8! Maaaan. I haven't worn a size 8 since... actually, I've NEVER worn a size 8, ever - I think I went straight from kids' sizes to a size 10 or 12 equivalent (back in the old country, y'know ).

I was so happy I bought capri pants and (gasp!) short shorts (i.e. mid-thigh, I'm not quite hot pants material yet nor ever will be) as well, blatantly disregarding my self-imposed pants budget. Oh well, can't run around naked can we?

Then on to the bras - that took a bit of figuring out, as I seem to be between sizes right now, but I finally found one - in 34D, down from 38DD. Aaah. Gotta love the support!

Shopping nice. Me like shopping.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #2  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

How exciting!! Can't wait to go shopping when I reach goal.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

i'm worried that my breasts will shrink to smaller than my liking! yikes! but other than that, i will be very excited when the time comes for me to buy new clothes. i'm glads that you had a fun time shopping today.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Enjoy those size 8's you've earned them!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Woohoo for a single-digit size!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

The issue of sizes had me a bit frazzled. I was in Toronto on Monday and stopped at a huge shopping mall and checked out a few stores. My finding is actually different from yours - it seems to me that the newish stores (I do realize that they cater predominantly much younger clientele then myself [I am 48]) have items much smaller than one would expect. When you look at the X-Large size, it is barely what I would consider a Medium. I did manage to buy one quite funky top in XL, but I wisely decided that I will keep it in the closet for at least another month (hopefully there will be a few less pounds of me).

Also, in another store, I bought a white T-shirt that has a bit spandex, also XL. I did not have time to try it on, it was on a sales rack for a mere $10, so I thought what the heck, I will get it. Then, when I put it on at home, I had a good laugh - I looked like a very fat sausage in an ultra-tight casing. I guess I will have to donate this one to a friend or to my hairdresser - it will be just right for her (she is probably size 4). LOL
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #7  
back to balance

Thanks for sharing my shopping giddiness, ladies! I originally wanted to wait until goal to do serious clothes shopping, but I'm glad about my spontaneous mini-splurge - it's so much easier to be active and comfortable and feel good about myself with clothes that actually fit!

@Tomato: yeah, I definitely had that experience as well! These days, clothes size numbers and S/M/L/XL etc. really don't tell you anything anymore about the actual size of the item in question. Sometimes they differ even within one store, and yeah, the youngish chains are the worst - in H&M I fit in some "Small" skirts, but still need L-XL for most T-Shirts - and can completely forget about most pants and blouses at any weight.

It seems that sizes are more of a marketing instrument than actual guidelines these days. So - I know that I'm not truly a size 8, but I know that since January I went down from Dockers 14 to Dockers 8, and that's A-OK with me !
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I can feel and fully support the giddiness!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/145/120

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I'm dying to get to my goal and shop! Hopefully it will mean buying smaller bras (fingers crossed, oh God make me a D again!). That said, vanity sizing annoys the **** outta me because I never know what I wear. I fit in anything from some size 2's (yes, TWO) to 12. Though I'm usually an 8/10. It's bizarre.
Rachellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #10  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on the new clothes! I'm sure you look hot in them. I also need new bras. Booo. Bras are so expensive!
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #11  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I to have been sort of looking at the bra size change with some trepidation. It's all for the good I guess.

I'm only about 40% of goal but I too had to buy a few things. I'm trying to keep that spending down. I've only spent maybe 150.00 on in between clothes. I HAD to get a couple pairs of jeans. I was down like 2 sizes and they were so falling off. I have dress shirts that I could literally pull out like 10 - 12 inches. Luckily I had a couple of XL's that weren't so XL but even they're huge now.

Oh well happy problems I guess if I'm ever going to reach the 100 pound mark.

P.S.
I've had a bathing suit in my gym bag since the beginning. I dread putting it on for fear of it too being huge. I hate shopping for bathing suits.

Last edited by msroboto; 06-19-2008 at 11:07 AM.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/144/122

Height: 5'3"

WooHoo! Congratulations on the new clothing in SINGLE DIGIT SIZES!! I can only dream of those days ahead.....
Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration!
chronicdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'4"

I am glad to hear that breast size does significantly shrink due to diet and excersise. Mine just seem to keep growing and once your past a D, its just plain irritating. Can't wait to be a size 8! Congrats to you!

Last edited by Qtzombie; 06-22-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Qtzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #15  
Chillin' like a villian

S/C/G: 341/289.5/176

Woohoo on the single digits, vanity or not!

I was stoked because I bought a pair of 22's the other day without trying them on (started at a snug 28) and got home to have them fit almost perfectly. Just a little tight in the waist. I'm now a fan of the Gloria Vanderbilt pants from Kohl's.
angierue is offline   Reply With Quote