3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   Vanity sizes? Why yes, please! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/144151-vanity-sizes-why-yes-please.html)

Heffalump 06-17-2008 06:56 PM

Vanity sizes? Why yes, please!

HA! :carrot:

This afternoon, I decided I couldn't face the danger of tripping over my falling-down clown pants and accidentally strangling myself on my too-loose bra anymore. Off to the mall!

Three hours later, I'm sitting here in my brand-spanking new Dockers bermuda shorts, size 8! Maaaan. I haven't worn a size 8 since... actually, I've NEVER worn a size 8, ever - I think I went straight from kids' sizes to a size 10 or 12 equivalent (back in the old country, y'know ;)).

I was so happy I bought capri pants and (gasp!) short shorts (i.e. mid-thigh, I'm not quite hot pants material yet nor ever will be) as well, blatantly disregarding my self-imposed pants budget. Oh well, can't run around naked can we? :D

Then on to the bras - that took a bit of figuring out, as I seem to be between sizes right now, but I finally found one - in 34D, down from 38DD. Aaah. Gotta love the support!

Shopping nice. Me like shopping. :dance:

MaNdA22 06-17-2008 07:17 PM

How exciting!! Can't wait to go shopping when I reach goal.

mescelestus 06-17-2008 07:26 PM

i'm worried that my breasts will shrink to smaller than my liking! yikes! but other than that, i will be very excited when the time comes for me to buy new clothes. i'm glads that you had a fun time shopping today.

Mrs Snark 06-17-2008 08:44 PM

Enjoy those size 8's you've earned them!

yoyoma 06-17-2008 09:29 PM

Woohoo for a single-digit size! :carrot:

Tomato 06-18-2008 11:57 AM

The issue of sizes had me a bit frazzled. I was in Toronto on Monday and stopped at a huge shopping mall and checked out a few stores. My finding is actually different from yours - it seems to me that the newish stores (I do realize that they cater predominantly much younger clientele then myself [I am 48]) have items much smaller than one would expect. When you look at the X-Large size, it is barely what I would consider a Medium. I did manage to buy one quite funky top in XL, but I wisely decided that I will keep it in the closet for at least another month (hopefully there will be a few less pounds of me).

Also, in another store, I bought a white T-shirt that has a bit spandex, also XL. I did not have time to try it on, it was on a sales rack for a mere $10, so I thought what the heck, I will get it. Then, when I put it on at home, I had a good laugh - I looked like a very fat sausage in an ultra-tight casing. I guess I will have to donate this one to a friend or to my hairdresser - it will be just right for her (she is probably size 4). LOL

Heffalump 06-18-2008 03:35 PM

Thanks for sharing my shopping giddiness, ladies! :D :hug: I originally wanted to wait until goal to do serious clothes shopping, but I'm glad about my spontaneous mini-splurge - it's so much easier to be active and comfortable and feel good about myself with clothes that actually fit! :)

@Tomato: yeah, I definitely had that experience as well! These days, clothes size numbers and S/M/L/XL etc. really don't tell you anything anymore about the actual size of the item in question. Sometimes they differ even within one store, and yeah, the youngish chains are the worst - in H&M I fit in some "Small" skirts, but still need L-XL for most T-Shirts - and can completely forget about most pants and blouses at any weight.

It seems that sizes are more of a marketing instrument than actual guidelines these days. So - I know that I'm not truly a size 8, but I know that since January I went down from Dockers 14 to Dockers 8, and that's A-OK with me ;)!

jtammy 06-18-2008 03:57 PM

:D I can feel and fully support the giddiness!

Rachellia 06-18-2008 04:31 PM

Yeah, I'm dying to get to my goal and shop! Hopefully it will mean buying smaller bras (fingers crossed, oh God make me a D again!). That said, vanity sizing annoys the **** outta me because I never know what I wear. I fit in anything from some size 2's (yes, TWO) to 12. Though I'm usually an 8/10. It's bizarre.

sunshower 06-18-2008 04:39 PM

Congrats on the new clothes! I'm sure you look hot in them. I also need new bras. Booo. Bras are so expensive!

fiberlover 06-18-2008 04:40 PM

:bravo:

msroboto 06-19-2008 11:03 AM

I to have been sort of looking at the bra size change with some trepidation. It's all for the good I guess.

I'm only about 40% of goal but I too had to buy a few things. I'm trying to keep that spending down. I've only spent maybe 150.00 on in between clothes. I HAD to get a couple pairs of jeans. I was down like 2 sizes and they were so falling off. I have dress shirts that I could literally pull out like 10 - 12 inches. Luckily I had a couple of XL's that weren't so XL but even they're huge now.

Oh well happy problems I guess if I'm ever going to reach the 100 pound mark.

P.S.
I've had a bathing suit in my gym bag since the beginning. I dread putting it on for fear of it too being huge. I hate shopping for bathing suits.

chronicdieter 06-19-2008 11:59 AM

WooHoo! :bravo: Congratulations on the new clothing in SINGLE DIGIT SIZES!! I can only dream of those days ahead.....
Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration! :carrot:

Qtzombie 06-22-2008 11:34 PM

I am glad to hear that breast size does significantly shrink due to diet and excersise. Mine just seem to keep growing and once your past a D, its just plain irritating. Can't wait to be a size 8! Congrats to you!

angierue 06-22-2008 11:55 PM

:carrot: Woohoo on the single digits, vanity or not!

I was stoked because I bought a pair of 22's the other day without trying them on (started at a snug 28) and got home to have them fit almost perfectly. Just a little tight in the waist. I'm now a fan of the Gloria Vanderbilt pants from Kohl's. :)