Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Testing Yourself

Some of you know that I have cut junk food out of my diet. That doesn't mean that I will never have dessert, it just means that I will no longer have junk food to reach for when I'm feeling hungry. No more trips to the vending machine. No more cookies, cakes, donuts, chips, etc. No more dipping my hand into the candy jar at work... & then going back for 2nds, 3rds or 4ths.

So I've been on my junk-food fast for 45 days. Yesterday was day 45. (I did have a 100 calorie skinny cow dessert one night, but it was planned with my daily calories, & therefore I don't consider it part of my junk-food fasting.) Then yesterday afternoon, someone brought in a HUGE box of chocolate covered pretzels to work. I thought "Hhhhmmmm. I don't even WANT one. Good for me!" A few hours later, I thought "I still don't even want one! I feel great!"

Then, just before quittin' time... I thought it SURE would be nice if I could have something chocolately EVERY NOW & THEN & not go berserk with it & totally ruin my diet. And I thought: "I wonder... if I could eat JUST ONE & stick to it? Not go back for a 2nd or 3rd....????" I decided to test myself in my new "no junk food" plan.

I had a chocolate covered pretzel - JUST ONE! - and was COMPLETELY satisfied! Not even TEMPTED to go back for a second!! - Y'all ... this is a MAJOR accomplishment for me! And I'm so excited!!! I feel like I've broken the spell that junk food had over me. And it FEELS GREAT!!! Woo! Dance time!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 05-07-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #2  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Congrats to you.. I totally know what that feel like and i know how excited you are. Keep up the awesome job.. Isnt it good to know you can eat something and not pay for it later..( like gain weight cause you went from eating 1 to eating 20.)
CONGRATS~!~!

Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #3  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

The only problem with this idea is that it tends to lead to more of the same. Maybe not instantly, but sooner or later. This is my experience, anyway. The planned "Skinny Cow" is the way to go. Of course, this is just my opinion. And congratulations for not being overcome by temptation!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations on enjoying just the one and feeling satisfied with it!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Beach, chocolate covered pretzels are right there at the top of my very favorite things to eat. So yeah, great going!!! You sound like you're in a really good place and I'm so happy for you. Keep at it!!! You're doing great!!!!

rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Great job!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #8  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Hey good for you! It's a really gratifying feeling to be in control and stick to your goals. Well done !
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Oh, God, chocolate covered pretzels. SO DELICIOUS. Good for you for stopping at just one! I don't think I could do it with that particular snack just yet (I'd probably have at least three), but I've been able to do it with other things. It really IS awesome to have that kind of control over yourself. Good work!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

That is great! I allow treats here and there--I have found that restricting totally is not the best for me. I can absolutely build treats into my plan. But, there are some foods that trigger me and I can't stop with one, two, three....on and on....and so I have to stay away. I LOVE chocolate covered pretzels. I may be able to have one and stop, maybe not. I'd have to see.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #11  
Shalu

S/C/G: 162/145/132

Height: 5.6"

Congrats!!!
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations, that must have felt so nice and NORMAL to be able to just eat ONE. I've always marveled at (and envied!) people like that! So yay for you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Oooo, chocolate covered pretzels. Asher's chocolate covered pretzels. O joy, o rapture!!

I've come to a place where I can also do this and it is wonderful (uh, although sometimes things do still get away from me. Its a constant, mindful, pay attention type thing for me). So nice knowing that you don't have to eat and eat just because it's there, and that one or two actually can satisfy you. And they seem to taste better when you eat a smaller amount.

Rockinrobin's 'mindfully eating' mantra has worked wonders for me in this particular area (TY, TY, TY RR!! ). WTG BP on your success!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #14  
Daisy

S/C/G: 199/194/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Way to go!!!

My weakness is red wine, it's the thing I miss most if I go out to eat, or just want a glass on my day off. Most of the time I do pass it off, but occasionally I do give in and have that 1 glass, but I take the 2 points off my diet for the day so it balances out. Way to go, Keep up the good work.
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #15  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Way to go Beach! I don't know if I could have just one chocolate covered pretzel... those are a huge weakness of mine (along with chips, dried mango, and peanut M&Ms). But it's gotta be a nice feeling to have a little and resist the rest!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote