Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default New Calorie Awareness Laws!!

Has anyone heard of this yet??

NY has legislated that all chain restaurants must post the caloric content of their meals on the menu! Of course they are getting a lot of push back from companies about it, but still!

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...460/-1/SITEMAP

man, i would love this!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #2  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Since they post the cals on all food purchased (in stores), it makes sense that they would do this. Will businesses suffer from it? No clue but I'd sure love it if they did this!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #3  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I haven't seen it but I do know that Hungry Girl, or some blog/yahoo site, had a thing about the worst foods for ??? and they had one of the restaurants that didn't have their food information on their website. I wonder if this means that more chains will put the info on their sites? That would be great!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I live in NY... I'll check it out in the next few months. That is interesting, I can't wait to see it. I know it won't change some people's opinions on what they choose, but there will be many that it does. I don't think the businesses will suffer too much as they generally have some healthier choices.. but I guess we'll get to see how much healthier.... it will be interesting... although, just looking at the link.. that's only the city. But it looks like some counties are passing the same laws. I'm sure that soon it will be statewide...

Last edited by tdiprincess; 05-03-2008 at 09:14 PM.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Awesome... I'd love to see this law in Chicago some day.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #6  
Bikini Season :)

it would absolutely sway me! if every time i drove up to a drive through and next to the double cheeseburger was a calorie count - i'd drive away!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

That is very true.. although, reading one of the reivews... they pointed out that many of the people eating at fast food joints aren't going to care. Its the people like us who are trying lose weight, about to give in and then have that little helper off to the side saying, "NO! Don't do it!!!" I hope this becomes statewide and nationwide one day.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

id love it to come to the UK....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I think that calorie and nutrition information should be available from all chain restaurants on site. What have they got to hide? Lots of these places have the information available on the web, so why not on site?

At the same time, most people who are serious about weight loss have looked up the calories in that double cheeseburger... and already know what they are in for...

I suppose it would be most helpful for those who have no clue and didn't really think about it before. I know the first time I looked up foods on the McD site I was shocked.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I think that calorie and nutrition information should be available from all chain restaurants on site. What have they got to hide?
Oh, I don't know. The fact that their food has about a kigillion calories and oodles of grams of fat .
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I've asked for nutrition information at several restaurants, and often get blank looks. Some places like Golden Corral are eally good about it--everything's on their website, and they have a flyer behind the desk if you ask for it. Others like Olive Garden has one little piece of paper that lists the calorie/fat content of manybe 3 meals on the entire menu and then they tell you those are their healthy selections. I'd love it if evry state and every restaurant had to post their nutrition information on the menus.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #12  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

I've only started eating at places where I KNOW the nutritional info is online or in menus. That being said, I only eat vegetarian at the two places I go, Subway and Moe's. Even now I see that those places aren't good for me, so I'm limiting it to once a month.

I'm through with regular restaurants. I want to eat healthy and the only way I can is if I make my food myself. It's rather depressing! =D
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 315/247/215

Height: 6'2"

crazy stuff, but good I guess
zacharoni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

If you can't figure out that a double cheeseburger with chili fries is bad for you, then there's a good chance that a calorie list isn't going to do it either.

Why expect people to use some common sense when you could legislate the crap out of things instead?
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Ha! Good point, Robin41.

However, "common sense" isn't that common... Lots of people, myself included, knew that things like chili cheese fries were "bad"--but I had no idea just HOW bad until I started counting calories and paying attention. And, I'm pretty educated... so I have no excuse except wishful thinking.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote