Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.4/233.1/174.4

Height: 5 ft 11 inch

Angry Ur Fat U suck!

Basicly this is what was all over the news today!! Reporters talking to random (skinny) ppl about what do they think and how do they feel about people that are overweight.
So they said that its disgusting and with the amount of gyms and information out there that we should all be skinny!! I mean seriously!!
One guy was going on and on about how he felt nausea when he saw overweight ppl, all this while he has a cigarette in his hand. That is disgusting! And it bothers ppl! I hate walking behind smokers, I speed up (and lose a few he he) so that I can overtake them.
Anyway the it made me feel pretty bad, and it didint help that I was having a bad hair day, I just felt real bad walking around today...Needed to share.
Didaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #2  
I can do this, yes I can!

S/C/G: 273/260/180

Height: 5'6"

This really makes me mad too! I've even read where ppl say it disgusts them to see "fat" ppl eat.
hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #3  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

sorry you're having one of those days...it is sad that society has that sort of attitude....the average skinny person who has never struggled with their weight has this assumption that anybody who is overweight is completely lazy and gluttonous. We're all definitely not alone, something like half of all americans weigh too much, some drastic statistic around that number?! It sucks with that many people struggling with their weight and that unfair perception still exists...any other problem a person might have its not nearly as visible....anyway, if it makes you feel any better you're not alone, I for one am tired of the assumptions people make, not so much about myself anymore, I've finally barely gotten into acceptable BMI range, but of my friends who are still struggling, who get treated like second-class citizens...grrr...
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #4  
Queen *' Carbs

S/C/G: 155/147/135

Height: 5'8 1/2"

I hear you. Unfortunately our society today hosts prejudices about a whole lot of things, and weight/size is no exception.

The best thing I can tell you is that you're better off just ignoring it as much as possible. I know it's easier said than done, but you have to accept that certain people are going to be ignorant - and you can't get around that. What you can control is how you react, so you have to make the choice not to let it get you down.

Ughh! People like that make me so upset sometimes. Especially smokers. Grr.
chitownchica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

It's true that when you're overweight, ppl can see what your "problem" is...but we never know what their problem might be that they keep behind closed doors! (I suppose this is true with smoking, too). People make many assumptions about each other, without looking at their own situation. When I was heavier, I sometimes felt invisible-like ppl don't even want to look at you. Now that I've lost, I've noticed that ppl (men and women) who are strangers, are more likely to say hello, hold the door for you, etc. It's like they see me now.
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #6  

Well I hear You guys but still it gets to me... They do not dare not hold the door for me. I´m very tall for a Portuguese girl, got some Norweign roots so Im taller then most men and women around and impose some sort of respect, and my mother says I have a very intimidating look, so if they dont hold that door I defintly give a look, cause I always hold the door, I was taught better.

I also sometimes get embaressd to go to the gym, my boyfriend tells me not to, that I should be proud, because im working out, but my gym is full of snobes skinny ones 2! lolol and they just look at me funny...maybe its in my mind...
ahhh stupidity...
Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I know what you mean Didaz! I feel ashamed at the gym too. I just have to realize that I am doing it for my long term health and hey, they're just looking at my cute butt anyway right? Do you think they're ALL thinking, look at that fatty over there? A lot of them are probably actually thinking, Hey, at least she's doing something for herself! I would be SO MUCH MORE ashamed if I sat on my butt and watched TV instead of going to the gym. You're tall and I bet you smokin' hot even if you are a little heavy. Just imagine what a MODEL you'll look and feel like when you've lost weight. Guys will hold the door for you and you can just breeze through and smile and realize that they were totally taken with you. Okay, I'll stop rambling. But this is how I try to look at things and it helps me!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Didaz, comments like that man on television make me so boiling hot inside. Even simply that a show would choose to do a story like that makes me angry, because bottom line it is encouraging discrimination of people with excess fat on their bodies. It's also encouraging the acceptance of discrimination against obesity. I don't know why our society continues to allow this to go on...I have heard skinny people say that it is our "choice" to be like this. Yes, I know that I have made poor choices in my life to get to where I am and I am doing all to change that, but I certainly didn't get here because I was happy with my life and purposely sought out to be discriminated against. Comments like that just make many people lose motivation because they are afraid of what people will say if they are out exercising. Also, many people who have obesity have health problems that got them there AND many ideal weight people have extremely fast metabolisms and make poor choices all the time and yet THEY aren't ridiculed for the choices they make. I guess what helps me is to remember that anyone who discriminates against anyone for anything is somebody who has extremely low self esteem to need to knock people down to their level...not to make excuses for them, but it does help me.
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #9  
Bikini Season :)

there was a tyra show on the other day that looked at the discrimination that big people have towards skinny people and that skinny people have towards big people. tyra took 2 women and made them switch roles. they put a girl who is a size zero and runs a facebook group called "get skinny or die trying" in a 300lbs "fat suit" and had her walk, shop for clothes, eat the diet the big girl ate, even sent her on a blind date in the fat suit to see what kind of reaction people get when they are big etc... and the big girl, they had her eat what the skinny girl ate, work out like the skinny girl worked out, and then sent her into social situations with bad make up and a photoshopped photo book of herself being "skinny" - and her job was to introduce herself to people, show them the photoshopped pictures of herself being much lighter and tell them she was in a "fat suit" to see what it was like to be skinny although it really was her own weight.

it was very interesting.

the skinny girl said things like - if she woke up and looked like that she'd be afraid for her life, her feet hurt, she felt people were staring at her - but not in the "good way" they did before - she even said last time she was in new york she made a point to count all the cat calls she got from people just walking down the street and she noted that she didnt get in the fat suit....

and the big girl who was in the fake "fat suit" got pretty awful things during her mixer with people when she faked that she was in a fat suit - people said "omg im so glad you're not really this big" "we were afraid you were going to come in and eat all the food." when she showed them pictures of her skinny men said things like "oh, well i want to get to know the girl in THOSE pictures..."

pretty awful all in all.

makes me wonder what people are thinking or saying behind my back now even when i dont notice it!

i also dont like going to the gym and being the fat girl. there is a gym in my apartment complex and its very small. there have been many times i've gone down there, looked in the windows, seen only 2 hot guys in the small room and walked home unwilling to be "that" girl, you know?

Last edited by KateRN; 03-04-2008 at 04:50 PM.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #10  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Hey Didaz,
I totally get what you're saying about the gym. I used to hate going, not bc of Im extremely lazy but bc of the ppl in there. But, I've realized most of the ppl in my gym are not snobs, and a lot of them don't care that you're there. I've met many a friendly face at the gym. Then again, I still think some of them are "skinny snobs" who are tototally judging me. But, we have to not let it get to us, bc we are going to lose weight and be fierce
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #11  

Hey Didaz,
I totally agree. I hate the looks you get when you either go into a clothing shop and try things on, or pick certain items up at the grocery store. Just because I'm overweight and on a diet does not mean I'm going to deny myself chocolate >.<. Not everyone can/should be a size zero. It's unhealthy for most of the people that are that small to be that small. The end up starving themselves and wondering why they are sick all the time. I'd rather be a curvey size 12 and enjoy food then a ulta skinny size zero and only live on celery....But that's just my two cents ^^
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #12  

Thank you to everyone who shared your thoughts with me, really made me feel a lot better! You guys are right! Im sure the skinny snobs at the gym are more preocupied with what they are going to wear later that day then my cellulite.
To peach cake thanks for the moral support.really u guys made my day a little less damned.
Tomorow im totally going to the gym!! First thing in the mornin
About the people that have no idea, well what more can we do but try to alert them. And when we are all smokin hot like peach cake says we wont be like the naturally skinny fast metabolism ppl...we will be so much better.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

You're very welcome!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/260/175

Height: 5'7

Yea, that's some great reporting.

I hate when the news talks about the "overweight epidemic" and then they zoom in on random people's stomach/butt/whatever.
It's so ridiculous. They send a camerman out to film unsuspecting people walking down the street. Do they think it's not insulting b/c they dont show faces? It makes me mad every time I see it.
ElayneRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

One of my biggest fears prior to losing weight (I kid you not) was that I'd be one of the anonymous rear-ends on television.

I think it is a positive thing that media outlets are reporting about the bias large people face (even if it sucks to be exposed to that bias on your television screen). Hopefully it opens peoples eyes to the discrimination that the obese face, and changes some minds.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote