Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #1  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

Unhappy Trying to get this law passed

I was reading somewhere that mississippi is trying to pass a law that if ur BMI is over 30% ur not going to be served at a restaurant. i was just appalled even if i was thin i would still be. thats not right. i think alot of business would go under as well. i was curious if any1 else heard that?
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I dont think that they can legally do that.... and besides, how would they measure your BMI?
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #3  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

here is the thing i read: Mississippi Pols Seek To Ban Fats
The Smoking Gun ^ | 2/1/2008 | The Smoking Gun

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese
FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index (over30%).
Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Apparently, it's just a ploy to call attention to obesity in Mississippi. There's no way/desire to really enforce such a law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22997073/

*snip*

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don’t be offended.

He says he never even expected his plan to become law.

“I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.

Last edited by Glory87; 02-04-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #5  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=214977. -heres the bill. or the the made up bill

Last edited by CurvaceousCutie; 02-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you want to make a point, don't be a *!@#$ about it! Drafting a bill that is not meant to be taken seriously - sounds like these guys need to find some real work to do!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #7  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

i wasnt trying to be an *** or biatch about it. i saw it thought that was rude of him to do something like that whether it would be a joke or not. then they shouldnt have drafted in the 1st place they should have done other things like that 1 mayor i think it was that put the city on a diet that wanted to do it. thats a better way then having that brought as a joke or what have u im sure that effect some ppl when that came out. its bad enough that society treats ppl diff when ur overweight but i dont think it should ever go to that extreme. cuz like the whole thing with the smoking here u cant smoke in public places anymore unless u pay the fines to have that its more in the bars that u can smoke, but only outside. i mean seriously come on now. this is our own personal choice if we want to eat everything at mcdonalds has to offer than so be it. 4 me im tired of being fat. but even if i was 125lbs i would still be upset that they even had thought bout doing that.

Last edited by CurvaceousCutie; 02-04-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #8  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

Do I think it was tacky and classless? Yes.

Do people need to be shocked into realizing something is a problem? Sometimes.

I don't think it was by any means appropriate (especially as it's my state tax dollars pay for it), but it does get frustrating being in a state that's last or next to last in nearly everything (or first if it's something really horrible to be first in).

Sometimes you just want to shake the population up a little bit.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #9  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

I was reading about this on another forum where the bill was posted and someone commented, "You don't need to pass a bill to outlaw obese people, just start building restaurants on the tops of hills. Problem solved."

Then someone replied, "Uh... we've had cars for awhile now..."
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #10  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

if i was still at 372 and all the restauants were all on hill i wouldnt go to them prolly cuz i couldnt make it and if i did i prolly wouldnt eat cuz i would think i just got here n i am not doing again. i think that i would just go to the store and buy everything thing that wasnt healthy n still it instead of going to a restaurant cuzx i can get it whenever i wanted it maybe even be bigger
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I meant the guys writing the bill wanting to make a point, and being *!@#$'a about it! It shows they have no clue as to the real factors involved in obesity, and they think "shock and shame" will address the problem. They could have drafted a serious bill to attempt to address part of the problem, and instead they decided a practical joke was a better use of their time.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #12  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

oh im sry i thought u meant me lol
Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #13  
bow chicka bow wow

I rememer reading about this a few days ago and having a good eye roll about it. I agree with kaplods. It sounds like these guys have a far too much free time on their hands. Plus, no restaurant owner would go for it; there would be far too much business lost.
tinsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

stupid!! so what - people with a BMI over 30 are supposed to starve till they get to that magic numbeR? i dont think so!

how about offering healthier food choices on the menu!?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #15  
bow chicka bow wow

^^ no kidding. And maybe lowering the prices of the healthier stuff. Because I've always noticed that one can get a greasy burger for a fraction of the price of a better alternative.
tinsica is offline   Reply With Quote