Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default You are all such inspiration to me!

I have been lurking here for quite some time, but this will be my first post in the maintainers forum... I come in here to remind myself that other people are doing this too... Overcoming the statistics and thinking about health and working out. I don't have any friends that feel the same way that I do about working out or weight control. So, I come here to remind myself that I am not a freak! I read alot but I don't get the time to post alot. My DH has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumor and we went through his surgery, recovery, and Radiation/Chemo treatment...he is doing well right now but things are just barely starting to settle down. I feel a little overwhelmed from time to time and I had to start taking a small dose of antidepressant to help me cope which I never in a million years would have thought I would have to do, but we are surviving! I am working out alot, mostly the ArcTrainer and Yoga. Yoga has been a life changer for me... I don't know if it is appealing to me because of my life circumstances, or I am just ready for it or what. I post in Chicks in Control and the Weight Loss Support forums about my problems with emotional eating... Recently I have discovered that I love soymilk! And it is seeming to be helping me in a variety of ways! Also, I have been using Progestacare cream during the second half of my cycle and that seems to be helping me as well. But the thing I have discovered most is that the more I delve into Yoga, the more control that I have! I have found that when I would normally turn to food...my most dangerous emotions are when I am frustrated or angry...if I do a few of my favorite asanas I am immediately soothed...I feel the release that I use to temporarily get from food...it is the only thing that I have found that feels similar other than a sweat inducing workout (if I can force myself to do it...yoga is easier to talk myself into in those weak moments!) The yoga doesn't always soothe completely if it is an extreme emotion but it soothes enough that it allows me the control to not eat. I am sorry if I am rambling but I really don't have too many places to talk about this stuff, not too many people understand.. I began my weight loss journey in 2001 at 196 pounds...for the last couple of years I have been mostly maintaining at my current weight, until recently where I have begun to drop again finally and I am holding my breath that this will be THE TIME... I desperately want to reach goal in 2008 and maintain there forever... I use you all as my inspiration...
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #2  
Mel

Welcome Ravengirl!
You've had quite a year Congratulations for holding yourself together through what must have been and still be a very scary and unsettling experience. Using an anti-depressant is nothing to be ashamed of- just another way to keep yourself healthy if you need it.

Great job on losing and continuing your journey through all the life trauma! You are a great example that "life happens" and it's not an excuse for putting off getting healthy, maintaining your own sanity and taking care of yourself so that you are able to help others.

I hope your dh is doing well!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #3  
Meg

Ravengirl and huge congratulations on your successful maintenance during such a difficult time in your life. I'm sending you a special because we've also had a family member with a brain tumor and I understand the difficulties you cope with everyday.

We love it here when someone delurks! And with such an inspirational story! I think we all know exactly what you mean about not having anyone or any place to talk about weight loss/maintenance in Real Life. But you can chat with us any time you'd like and you'll always find an ear to listen or helping hand.

How awesome that you've found yoga and that it has such a wonderful impact on you! Many of us have similar experiences with exercise, whether it's running, weightlifting, yoga, pilates, or something different. It's gotten so that exercise is my weight maintenance drug too.

Please jump into our chat threads and let us get to know you better.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  

Hi ravengirl,

Wellcome! How wonderfull that you mangaged to get through the difficult times while maintaining. And great that you have found yoga to help you on.

I hit a rough spot some years ago, still recovering, still on a mild antidepressant. As mel said ..if it works, it works. somethimes you need something to tide you over. I can relate a lot to the way yoga works for you. I discovered meditation to get me through. Bravo for losing agqain,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi Ravengirl, welcome to maintainers!

I can relate to your experience as my DH has multiple myeloma and we spent most of 2000 living in Seattle while he had treatment, including two stem cell transplants. Thankfully he's been in remission since, but he's at the high end of length of time before relapse, so it's a fear that's always in the background of our lives. I'm glad you found yoga as a stress reliever/calming influence. Excercist helps me a lot, and actually parts of yoga too.

Stick around. As Eileen always says "we luv newbies"

Last edited by WaterRat; 11-11-2007 at 01:47 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #6  

Hi pat,

we were posting at the same time!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Ravengirl. It's great to have you here over at Maintainers.

I am so sorry that you have been going through all of this. I can't imagine how difficult it all must be. I'm so glad that your husband is doing well now and things are starting to settle down. I hope he continues to do well and that life will settle down for you even more so.

You have handled a very hard situation in such a wonderful manner. What an inspiration YOU are! It's incredible that you were able to maintain your fabulous weight loss through this whole ordeal. You make me want to sign up for the nearest yoga class right this very second!

I look forward to getting to know you better. And I wish you continued success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #8  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Thank you so much for your kindness you guys! You have truly made me feel so welcome here! I really appreciate it. It has been a difficult road for the past 6 months... But we are here, stronger as a family than even before, and I have had my eyes opened to the things that are important and the things that are not.

Meg: Oh wow...you don't know how much that means...sometimes you feel like you are the only ones going through this! Though, it was odd, we did have another guy that DH worked with who was diagnosed with one as well and he had already been through the surgery so it was a bit of a comfort.

Pat: I am not familiar with that illness...but I know what the fear of relapse is..that is something that we are going to have to deal with from here on out. I send my best wishes to your Hubby for his continued remission...

Mel: You're right, the antidepressant has been necessary and another way of taking care of myself...the only way to keep my head above water during some of the things we have had to go through. Exercise has been another tool that has proven itself over and over again... I think that the fact that most of my eating habits had been changed for so long before this all happened allowed me not to back slide permanently into obesity...

Rabbit: I do meditation as well...it is kind of a natural progression from my yoga practice.. I hope that you continue to feel better as well...

Robin: Happy Birthday! And truly, you are the inspiration!! Definitely follow that urge and try yoga! lol I think everyone should at least give it a try, nothing works for everyone but I think giving lots of different things a try is key to finding what works! And thank you again for the welcome... He is doing wonderful at the moment and every minute feels like a gift after what we have been through...I am savoring it...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Raven! As Meg said, we love when people de lurk! Sounds like you have had quite a rough year! I am not completely sure what to say, but here is a for you and your DH; I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for both of you... seeing him go through having the brain tumor is something I can imagine could be just as difficult for you as it was for him. As for the eating... I have always said that frustration is the most "hungry" emotion!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #10  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Ravingirl - wow, what a time you've been through AND you've been able to lose weight. I'm so impressed!

I'm glad you sought out the mental health you needed. I'm a huge avocate for mental health. Without it, everything else falls apart.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ravengirl, you have had to go through a lot and have stayed strong , you deserve credit for that. I know about emotional eating, I would have a hard time staying out of the ice cream with less stress than you have had.Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to others who have to deal with stress.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #12  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Awww...thanks so much you guys... I really do need to hear that sometimes. I have not told most of my family about the antidepressant. Mainly because my Dad had been on them at one point for something else...he had a neck injury...he had a bad experience on them and so now pretty much believes they are evil. I had never had a problem with them for other people, I just was afraid of them...they seemed very scary to me and I was very afraid of weight gain as well. I really had no choice though, my DH needed me at a functioning, steady level for what he was going through and that overrode anything else. I have to say we are both doing well... I haven't had any problems and I have been able to workout and do what I need to do... They are simply a tool to help me, not to solve everything. I use exercise, Yoga, and meditation as well and they are just as big a part of my mental health...Yoga has proved an even bigger part of that equation than I anticipated...I can practice yoga even during my period when most other exercise leaves me feeling worse than ever. I gives me almost as much of a "buzz" as cardio exercise and a deeper relaxation than almost anything else I have found. Not to mention it is helping with pain that I have had in areas of my body that have been getting increasingly worse. I carry tension in my neck, shoulders, and upper back. I have been told by massage therapists that I have definite "hot spots" I will be curious as to how my next massage goes after my yoga practice!

Thank you all for your continued support...I truly appreciate it...