Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Depressed/No motivation to do anything

Hello, I have depression. I was officially diagnosed three years ago. I have went through a number of meds. Gained weight from Seroquel which made me even more depressed. But now I am taking Wellbrutin XL 300 which was recently increased to 300 at the end of August. Well, now I am feeling even more depressed. I want to exercise but I just cannot find the motivation to do so. I know that if I get in shape (which I am very close to doing) that it will relieve my feelings 50%, or even more. I just feel helpless. I can't even make myself workout thats how bad I am feeling. I have been feeling like that for the past few weeks. I also see a therapist twice a week now. That just started this week. Anyway is there anyone who have ever felt this way or is there anyone who can help me out here?

I'm so close to my goal. I have about 15lbs left to lose, but my main goal is to decrease my body fat. I know what to do I just can't find the motivation to do it. I also wanted to add that I feel like I have to start back working out like 5-6 times a week in order to see something happen to my body. I have just recovered from an injury. I am not sure if I should start slow like 4x a week then build up. But I am afraid that starting out 4X a week is not enough.

ThanK a bunch!

Last edited by Sepialove; 09-22-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Sepialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Sepialove first let me say and congratulations on being so close to goal

The first thing I would suggest to you is to talk to your doctor and tell him/her that your meds are not working and things are worse for you. I believe once you find the right med things will start to come together for you and your motivation will not be so much of a struggle. But I also think everyone struggles with motivation and if I knew the magic words to say to folks (including myself) I probably wouldn't be here lol. You mentioned that you were recovering from an injury..... I would also suggest taking it easy and going slow until you talk to your doctor about your injury and what is right for your body. I'm sorry I couldn't give you the answers you are looking for but I do believe your doctor will steer you in the right direction....safely.

Hugs & Kisses..... Good Luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Maybe when you start to feel somewhat better you could look into some different women only gyms. I'm part of Ladies Workout express, but there are many others, cuts, curves, etc etc..........where you will meet other women who struggle with body issues, and weight
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #4  

Hey ladies, thanks for responding. I was going back and forth looking for this thread. I started exercising a few days ago and I have been trying to keep on track since. Last week I was just in a big rut with everything. I didn't know how I was going to do anything. I had just gotten a joba few weeks prior, and I explained to him and requested NOT to work a certain amount of hours.

If you want to give people a bunch of hours then don't hire the ones who don't want that stuff. I cannot handle it. I tried it last year with a nice paying job and it didn't work. I am trying to finish school. I am almost done. The last thing I am going to do is quit school and flunk for them. They don't even pay good.
So here I was soooooo overwhelmed I just became deeply depressed and unmotivated. I wasn't balanced at all. I had soooo many questions going through my head all times of they day. How am I going to study? How am I going to get rest? How am I going to exercise. The job wasn't paying good so there goes another "How am I?" Question. How am I going to by this or/and that? All these questions stuck with me for weeks, and I just broke down. My therapist told me I needed to quit. I asked not to get too little hours, like 15 or 10 hrs a week, and not too much anything over 25. Well, I got 34.5 hours in one week, and 31 hours in another week. On the weekends, on time he tried to give me 11hr shift. I had to say something about that, so he gave me a 9hr shift. I mean, please... But of course most of these people don't want you to get an education, and most of these people think that you are only supposed to work 11hr shifts and thats it. Nothing else. If you dont say anything they will continue to do that to you. I feel like if he couldn't agree with my request before hiring me then don't hire me. I just think he needed more people badly thats why he put me in. One of the guys who left for a wayyy better paying job stated that he was working 10hr 11hr shifts for like two weeks. So while I am here working all day long how am I supposed to study? Workout? Go to the market? Study lol. The truth is, people don't care their priorities of just having people on the floor and ringing up sales and trying to get money out of people (it was hourly plus commission which there was a catch to that) was the priority. Well my priority is my education, taking care of myself and getting a job that will work with me in terms of balancing things out. There was no balance. I wasn't doing anything else except working there. I even almost got behind on my homework. I couldn't go to the supermarket because I was always there until the times where they closed around my block. Its was nearly impossible to put a reasonable schedule around that. I end up eating Pizza for like two weeks straight. I like to go to the supermarket and bring my food because its cheaper. I tried to put a schedule together. Nope, didn't work. Some people can handle that type of stuff, others can't I fall in the latter category.

I want to get my life together, I know I couldn't handle that type of pressure because I already been through it before. I got sooo tangled I just exploded. Then got real depressed.

I have a bunch of Curves gym around my area. They are opening a NYSC around my area too. My area is about to become a very popular area booo (throws rotten tomatoes). Not a good thing.

Trying my best to stay hopeful. Thank you ladies for responding. I really appreciate it. To see someone anyone, cares. It means a lot to me.

P.S. eventhough I am no longer doing WW, I was thinking about going to the meetings for more physical support.

Sorry for the rant, well it was more like a vent than a rant. I just needed to get that out. Sigh...
Sepialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

You can always vent whenever you need to. We all have issues. I have them every day............and my life should be what you consider simple. It is fairly simple actually ........but my brain just isn't as simple, which makes things complicated.

I joined a gym like 2 weeks ago but haven't been able to get myself to go, and i have plenty of time. So right now i'm trying to focus on letting my effexor (which i started last Friday-added to Celexa at night) start working, and then hopefully i'll be better able to do the things i want and need to do.
*hugs*
*hugs*
*hugs*

Ya know, you can private message me anytime,
God Bless you,
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote