Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Reducing my metformin on my own

OK - I was going to wait until my next appt with my endo (November) to see if he will reduce my meds - but I'm starting on my own. With my weight loss, exercise (now a full year on THAT) and great ac1 results the last 2 -3 times (6.1) - I decided to reduce it slowly on my own. I have been experiencing flushing the last few years (really embarrassing) and hair loss - and in reading more on the Met I think that these COULD be side effects. I am currently on 2450mg - the highest dosage - so going to reduce by 850mg. My next bloodwork is in November and if it is up at all I'll come clean and go back on. I LOVE my endo - but i truly feel doctors prescribe too often and are reluctant to take you off meds. Any opinions ????
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #2  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

I agree with you. Give it a try and just check your glucose as usual and see what happens. I am going to cut out my metformin also, I just know if I lose 60 lbs I won't need it anymore anyway, and it doesn't seem to be helping anyway. I just know my dosage will be increased and I don't want it.

Anyway, you've done REALLY well! Keep it up and best wishes.
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Personally . . . as long as you keep a close eye on your BG levels, I don't think it should be a problem. Since losing over 50 pounds and being much for mindful of my eating habits, I've decreased all of my diabetes meds (glyburide, metformin, actos, and insulin) by 1/3 to 1/2.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Default Update

YAHOO - just gor my new bloodwork in - my A1C is still 5.9 so lowering the met made absolutely NO CHANGE. I'm waiting for my next check (February ) and then I will lower it again. YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote