Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default My glucose reading 1 week later

Hello,
Last week my glucose level was slightly elevated at 114, I was re-tested today and I am happy to report it was 95.

I am now wondering if it matters how the blood was taken for each test? Because last week I had blood taken from my arm for the 114 reading. Todays test though (after 8 failed attempts at trying to get anyblood out of me on either arm, I have old lady veins they can see them but when they poke the needle in, no blood comes out! 4 bandages later, I asked if it would be possible to do a finger poke instead, so that is what they finally did today, poked my finger and squeezed out a drop onto the testing strip, and my reading was 95. So I am just curious if it makes a difference how the blood is taken if that makes any difference to a reading? I am thinking not, because most diabetics use the finger poke to test their blood. Anyone?

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 10-11-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I use the arm poke with my Freestyle but my nurse says that the finger poke is more accurate. I've done both at the same time and don't agree as the readings are the same.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Finger poke is much more accurate!

I remember being excited about the FreeStyle meter because it meant I could test on my arm. What a CROCK that thing was! It often couldn't read and when it could, it wasn't always accurate.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Thanks Ruth and Nite,
Whew, the nurse told me it was very accurate this finger poke method, but I wanted to just double check with people that do this everyday. I am so relieved to learn that I am between the normal range 77-99, I was overly worried before but 95 is still in the norm. I fasted for 13 hrs before hand too. I will try and cut back on my sugar intake just to make sure I hold between these numbers, sorta put things into perspective for me anyways... Thank you for putting my mind at ease, I appreciate it
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

Just remember one good reading doesn't mean you are not diabetic or shouldn't watch things closely. I would request an A1c which is a three month average. I'm a type one, and the stress of going to the doctor would cause my bs to drop to a normal level. I was finally diagnosed with an A1c of 16, even though my doctor's office finger sticks were normal. My kidneys were in bad shape, and my heart rate was about 35 beats per minute.
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #6  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I agree I am often "normal" at the Doc's office. That doesn't represent how I am at home & work. Please keep an eye on things.
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
Thanks Ruth and Nite,
Whew, the nurse told me it was very accurate this finger poke method, but I wanted to just double check with people that do this everyday. I am so relieved to learn that I am between the normal range 77-99, I was overly worried before but 95 is still in the norm. I fasted for 13 hrs before hand too. I will try and cut back on my sugar intake just to make sure I hold between these numbers, sorta put things into perspective for me anyways... Thank you for putting my mind at ease, I appreciate it
Just making sure - you realize it's not actual sugar - but your carbs in general.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote