Old 07-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #1  

Default My TurboJam rant

Yes, i'm going to rant. . . although it's probably ME and not turbo jam. I bought the Learn and Burn to see if i'd like it. I've been doing WATP which i like but wanted something different. And TJ got such good reviews from you guys. I've done the whole DVD 2-3 times and each time i get so frustrated! Exercise is suppose to be a stress reliever not a stress inducer. I really like the kickboxing stuff. Tae bo was too intense or fast but he did the same moves several times before transitioning to the next which was good because it helps me get the move down before going to something new. That's why i like WATP. She even counts down before going to the next move. Turbo Jam is too fast or something. I wish they would do each move more than 1 or 2 times before going to the next move because that just throws me off and i'm just flailing around. I just can't keep up. I know i'm burning calories anyway just by moving but i'm kind of a perfectionist and i like to do things right. I figure unless i'm doing the moves right i'm not getting the full benefit from it. Also, my right hip is sore but not my abs or my left side. Probably because my left side isn't all that bright. I gave up after doing the right side this morning and went to WATP because my left side just didn't know what to do. LOL! I know my left side is my weak side but Oh my word! I also feel a little funny trying to keep my tuck doing the moves. It's kind of hard to keep it tucked when doing the other moves. Also, there are 2 different leg kicks that look the same. when they do it slow motion you see what the move is suppose to look like but when they start going fast it doesn't look like that. So i feel like i'm not doing the moves right when i go too fast and transition from each move so fast. She don't even have enough time to tell you what move is coming up before it comes up.

Is it just me?? Will i eventually catch up. . .before my blood pressure goes up? it looks like fun but i don't have any patience. *sigh* i can't do WATP forever. . . any advice?

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Amy, I didn't like TurboJam either, and sent it back for a refund (which took way too long and several emails to get taken care of). My hips and knees would ache for days afterwards, but I kept doing it thinking I just needed to "work it out". After a month, I decided I just couldn't do it anymore. Leslie Sansone has the only workouts I've found that don't jar my body too hard. I'm 42 and have decided that my joints (knees and hips) just can't do the dancey stuff. Yes, I do get bored with the Leslie walks, sometimes I just zone out and don't think of anything or really even listen to her, but I keep moving. I have also done her walks on a mini trampoline. That's fun, but I get tired of it sitting around the house and it winds up back in the attic storage. So, I just wanted to say that TJ isn't for everyone and if you don't like it then don't torture yourself trying to like it. I tried it for longer than I should have and it didn't get me anywhere.
Good luck, Donna
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Hi Amy! I've never done the Turbo Jam, but there are other videos I have tried in the past that I just can't do! Particularly anything with dancing. It is really irritating to see the people on the screen have that perfect combo and grace mixed with sweat, and I'm flailing all over, looking like I'm fighting a bee. I was determined to get this one Kathy Smith video down. It was the timesaver workout. Around halfway through, I was a mess and everybody on the screen was smiling and I wanted to throw a dumbbell through the tv! I kept on doing it, but doing the tricky parts about half speed. Then at least I was doing it, but just getting in half the reps. After about 2 weeks, I was much faster. I never made it all the way to top speed before I switched to another workout because I realized that there were a couple of women on the video that sounded like adult film stars, and that isn't what I want to hear at 6AM!

I've also learned that there are some videos not made for carpet, and I do them better in the basement, on a concrete floor.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I just recently bought the set and did the learn and burn a couple times before finally deciding to do the cardio party. I actually had an easier time keeping up with the routing during the actual video! You do the same set a more and then repeat on the other side before moving onto the next segment. I agree, Chalene's cueing isn't that easy to follow, and at times she's even kind of late in my opinion. I'm used to the Firm where everything is counted so this was a little different. As with any dancey, steppey video if you stick with it, it will get easier.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #5  

Her cueing is the WORST. The absolute pits. Plus most of the moves are either 'funky' nonsense or punching. Very little kicking.

If you can, go on ebay and try to snag the Tae Bo LIVE vhs tapes. The beginner ones are all 30 minutes, they're at a perfect pace (slower than his more recent stuff), and the music is the BEST.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #6  

Mini-Me,
I may try to do that. I may also buy one more of the Turbo Jam DVDs just to make sure i can't do it if i put it all together. if not, then i guess i'll sell them on Ebay or something.
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaAmy View Post
Mini-Me,
I may try to do that. I may also buy one more of the Turbo Jam DVDs just to make sure i can't do it if i put it all together. if not, then i guess i'll sell them on Ebay or something.
The only one I 'sort of' liked was a Turbo Jam Live dvd, but it was pushing it...

Bottom line: I still like those old TaeBo Live videos best. Great music, great cuing, and they don't look dated AT ALL.

If you didn't care for the first TJ, I wouldn't buy another...stick with vintage Tae Bo.

BTW, you'll may see a TaeBo live 'dvd'. Don't get it. The VHS's are the best.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #8  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking Moving on from WATP

I did WATP for about 6 months and finally got bored. I moved on to the Prevention Fitness series and I love them...excellent cueing and most are low impact or at least show a low impact option. I stick to the videos with Chris Freytag.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #9  
let the battle begin

S/C/G: 328/275/150

Height: 5'7

I was going to order turbo jam, but the cues really help, so if the cueing is off I don't think that workout will work for me. I guess I'll try to borrow the tape to see if I can do the workout.
getheresomehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #10  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

S/C/G: 289/275/200

Height: 5'3"

I absolutely love TJ! It took me a couple times to get into it, but I do it every day and I want to do it more! Now there are a couple moves that hurt me so I modify them, but other than that I am doing great! I lost 2 inches in my waist in the first 2 weeks. I guess I haven't found any problems with cueing. Sorry you are having problems.
rachelfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

The Cues arent that bad once you know the moves I think... Honestly it's the only workout DVD that I have out of maybe 50 that I would call fun. I'm not really good with super-complex move either. The TurboJam moves do take a few run thrus to get, but in my opinion its so worth it when you do. I was very skeptical about it at first too.

I manage to do it at my size with only few minor modifications (no jumping)

That being said I mainly like the cardio parties but make sure you do the training one a few times until your comfortable.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #12  

Ideal, which ones have the most 'kicking'? I like kicking more than punching.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #13  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Mini -

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I've set aside my videos since last summer and have been walking lately. I'm going back to the videos when the weather cools down some and I can go back in the basement. So I can't remember which are heavier in kick rather the punching. I think the Tubrojam Cardio Parties tend to be 50/50.

BTW I have a Quick Fix cardio kick video that has 3 segements and one of tem is more kick heavy but it's only 10mins long.

Also check te Video Fitness Website http://www.videofitness.com/ and ask for suggestions there on the message board. Those ladies know ALL about ALL the videos they are exercise goddesses! They will definatly be able to point you to a kick heavy video!

Hope that helps!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote