Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Smile Questions from a beginner :)

Hi everyone! I am a new member, but have been reading for a while. You all have inspired me to do something about my health

I have done some research on a lot of threads here, and some other websites, and I just have a couple of questions so far.

I have started walking a few days a week to start to get more active, but I wanted to add some resistance training as well. I bought a set of those resistance bands so that they will be easy to use at home without taking a lot of space. I also figured it would be something good for a beginner to use.

My questions are, what is a good warm up routine before actually starting the lifting workout? And also, I am not really sure how much weight to actually use since I have never lifted in the past. What would be the best way to find out what my starting point should be?

Also, I have a lot of trouble doing squats because I have some knee problems. My legs are strong, but my knees just can't take the bending. Is there any other way to train my legs without squats?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Katie
Chickadee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on doing something about your health! That's a huge accomplishment right there!

A warm up can be anything that gets your muscles ready. If you're working out in your living room you could do jumping jacks, marching in place which pumping your arms, etc. As far as how much weight to use, you just have to try! You'll quickly learn and remember what to use for what exercise. You should be able to complete your planned reps with correct form, but the last couple should be hard. If you feel like you could keep going, it's not enough weight. You need to push yourself (again, as long as your not compromising form) to get the results you want. And as far as the knee thing, do you think you'd be able to do step ups? You can use a sturdy stool and and by placing your weight through your heel, not your toe, simply step up onto and off of the top. As your ability increases just add some weights or increase the height.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Prior to resistance training, I'll usually do a quick unweighted movement prep routine of about 10 movements, 1 set of 10-12 reps. One long circuit, no rest.

I'll pick from the following

Scap pushups (also called pushup plus)
T-Pushups
Bird Dogs
Plank (done for time not reps)
Side Plank (done for time not reps)
Cat Camel
Reach, Roll,and Lift
Supine Bridge
Hip Crossover
Scorpion
Calf Stretch
Hand Walk (Inchworm)
1 legged Good Morning
Lateral Lunge
Squat to Stand
Band Walk
Arm Circles
Knee to Chest
Butt Kicks

Last edited by Depalma; 06-26-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Thanks a lot for the ideas, guys I appreciate it. When I walk, I usually just stretch and then start walking slowly before I pick up more speed, but I wasn't sure what I should be doing for resistance training, hehe
Chickadee23 is offline   Reply With Quote