Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #1  

Default Should I even continue?

After losing 20 LB's I was down to 154, the next day I went up 3 LB's and the day before I had walked about 3-4 miles, Something along there but it was alot of walking\running and sometimes uphill!

I dont get why I go up! this is really depressing.
Notfatforlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Of course you should continue! You're doing really good by exercising, are you watching what you eat as well?
If you exercise a lot, your muscles might be sore and there is water retention with sore muscles. I have that problem a lot! Whenever my weight goes up 1/2 a lb or a lb, I think to myself... did I stick to my plan for the past few days? If I did, then I think about whether I had a lot of sodium the day before or if my muscles are sore from a hard workout. Usually the next day or so, I have a big drop as the water goes away.
Just drink a lot of water to flush it out of your system and stick to your plan and you'll be fine!
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #3  

Well, I RARELY ever walk\run as much as I did yesterday, so that could be it, but yes ive only been eating "weight watches" and fruits like strawberrys, bananas etc. And after doing that ( its alot of work for me ) its really depressing seeing the scale go up a pound.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree with cagesorwings....anytime i excersize and my muscles are sore, i always go up 1 or 2 pounds, but as my muscles get less sore, the weight starts to go back down. Do not get discouraged. You lost 20 pounds. Keep going. The only other option is to not keep going and gain it all back. And i know you didn't work hard to lose 20 pounds just to add it back again!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Definitely keep going! You've worked so hard and done so well, you can't stop now. I agree with the salt/water intake thing. I haven't lost much weight yet this time around but in the past when I have lost a lot of weight, if I didn't drink enough water I tended to hold water and gain weight. How often are you weighing yourself? I wouldn't weigh myself more than once a week...our weights just fluctuate too much. Please don't give up, you will kick yourself in the butt later if you do. Take it from someone that DID give up when they weren't losing weight!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Why your weight fluctuates: We really need to make this a sticky

Sodium - Increasing the sodium in your diet temporarily can make a temporary water retention weight gain.

Time of Month - many women retain 1-8 lbs extra water around TOM

Exercise - yes exercise. The process of exercise and increased strength involves microtears of the muscle. Water is the transport system of the body to bring rebuilding materials to your muscles, and to flush toxins and waste created by the process away (e.g. lactic acid). The more fit you are in general the less fluctuation you will see from exercise. But any change in routine, new exercise can cause this shift. (I have personally gained 5 lbs in one day from exercise)

Shifts in the carb/protein ratio in your diet can effect water retention temporarily...basically ANY change in diet can change it one way or another.

Shifts in diet or exercise can effect the speed of your digestive system. Fluctuations can be cause by waste material that hasnt yet passed.

Humidity. You can gain and lose A LOT of water when you breathe. On a dry or air conditioned night you may lose more water weight and be more dehydrated than on a humid night.

Fluctations happen. That is why the PROCESS of losing weight is key. And realize that not every pound can be traced exactly to what you did yesterday. I did NOT lose weight this morning because I had dessert last night

Learn what fluctuations are normal for you and focus on your behaviors. If the process is there, then over time the scale will go down.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Very true, ennay. You really spelled it out.

So the answer to the OP: yes. You should continue. There is no reason to give up now!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I AGREE! - Mods??? Can we make this a sticky??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Why your weight fluctuates: We really need to make this a sticky

Sodium - Increasing the sodium in your diet temporarily can make a temporary water retention weight gain.

Time of Month - many women retain 1-8 lbs extra water around TOM

Exercise - yes exercise. The process of exercise and increased strength involves microtears of the muscle. Water is the transport system of the body to bring rebuilding materials to your muscles, and to flush toxins and waste created by the process away (e.g. lactic acid). The more fit you are in general the less fluctuation you will see from exercise. But any change in routine, new exercise can cause this shift. (I have personally gained 5 lbs in one day from exercise)

Shifts in the carb/protein ratio in your diet can effect water retention temporarily...basically ANY change in diet can change it one way or another.

Shifts in diet or exercise can effect the speed of your digestive system. Fluctuations can be cause by waste material that hasnt yet passed.

Humidity. You can gain and lose A LOT of water when you breathe. On a dry or air conditioned night you may lose more water weight and be more dehydrated than on a humid night.

Fluctations happen. That is why the PROCESS of losing weight is key. And realize that not every pound can be traced exactly to what you did yesterday. I did NOT lose weight this morning because I had dessert last night

Learn what fluctuations are normal for you and focus on your behaviors. If the process is there, then over time the scale will go down.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #9  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

THINK.....

The ENERGIZER BUNNY RABBIT and...

Just keep going...and going...and going....:sw im:

Seriously...you'll get there. Maybe try not to weigh yourself so often. Set one day a week or one day every two weeks to weigh yourself so that you don't stress yourself out over some water weight retained...
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'll check with the admins!

Yes, don't give up! Muscle is good! Muscle burns fat! Give me a pound of muscle over a pound of fat almost any day!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #11  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

I won't give you all the biological explanations, because I can't, and others did it very nicely. I WILL tell you that if you give up, you'll feel a lot worse than you do now. ONE of the things that you might want to consider is weighing yourself a little less frequently. I don't weigh in much more than every two weeks or so. I know I'm eating the right stuff, and exercising, and my formerly pretty tight clothes are now pretty loose, and that's good enough for me. I've adapted this way of eating - and exercising - as a lifestyle, not as a diet, and I KNOW that weight fluctuates with fluid retention and/or for a whole variety of reasons. I tend to get depressed and frustrated when my scale doesn't cooperate, so I don't get on it too often, and therefore can remain motivated and positive.

Stick with it - you'll be glad that you did, really.

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey ellabella! Good to see you.

OK, ennay's list has now become a Sticky!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Girl, don't give up! You lost 20 pounds! Giving up would be downright stupid.

Like the others said, you could very well be retaining water. Sore muscles will do that, and if you pushed yourself much harder than your normally do, then just drink a lot of water and wait a couple days - your weight will go back down. The body is a funny thing. Also, I've found that one's weight can fluctuate as much as 8 pounds in a matter of a day or two. Don't sweat it too much.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #14  

The water retention thing was probably it, im back at 154 today, Im turning 17 next month so if im still growing it should still be going up anyways.