Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/244/160

Height: 5'2"

Default Pilates anyone?

Do any of you use Pilates? I want something I can do at home. It will be easier for me since I have a fear of being around people I don't know alone.

I've heard many have lost weight, but I want actual opinions from people.

Thank you!
ArtThatKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I love pilates. At my weight i have to do a beginner full body version. The arm workout and legs workout i can do any level, but with the advanced body workouts, unfortunately, my gut gets in the way. There are just certain positions i cant get in and i am actually pretty limber for my size. So you might want to start off with a beginners dvd. I recommend Winsor pilates, i have had this dvd forever and LOVE it on rainy days.

It is a nice workout and you will feel it the next day, particularly if you are new to exercise. I alternate with Gunner Petersons' Core Secrets, using a stability ball. Its a nice change of pace when i get bored with pilates.

I would definately give it a try.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/244/160

Height: 5'2"

I've heard some good things. Someone said they lost 70lbs in 3 months, but she was a young girl (14).

I am going to give it a try and hope for the best! I really want to stick with things.
ArtThatKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #4  

Just becareful I threw out my back trying to do advanced
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #5  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I have Denise Austen's Pilates....believe me, you will feel it! I love it, plus yoga too. Start off slowly as it will take time to get a bit more limber.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #6  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

Pilates is awesome. I'm another big girl who struggles with her stomach though!

I've been doing it for three months and my posture's improved my stomach has gotten smaller and my back problems are going. I go to a class, which I find better as I have an instuctor to correct me (this is at my gym)

I wouldn't recomment "Pilates for Dummies" One of the FIRST moves they do as 'begginer' is have you lie flat on your back (without stretch band) and roll up (pull yourself up to sitting with only breath control and abs doing the work) I STILL struggle to do this, and could not do it without assistance.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I do Windsor Pilates... it's great. I'm not sure how much weight people really lose by doing pilates alone, but it definitely helps out! You get conditioning for all your muscles and it's great for your core... or "gut" if you prefer that terminology. I'll call mine a core once I can show it off! haha
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote