Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Rant: Low rise workout pants

Why are exercise bottoms (pants, shorts, capris) all low-rise! When I am working out, I don't want to feel like my pants are falling off--I want them sitting comfortably and securely on my waist. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I just ordered another pair of shorts the other day and the waistband is something like three inches below my waist.

I have a really hard time finding activewear bottoms (I'm mostly interested in capris and shorts) that 1) aren't super tight (they can be a little tight, but I don't want to look like I'm exercising in my underwear) and 2) have a waistband that actually sits at my waist. Anyone have any suggestions?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #2  
Ready to do it!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/164

Height: 5'7

maybe some with a drawstring? So you can chinch it up? I have a few pairs that I bought from Ross. They are yoga stye, but have the drawstring on 'em to keep them up.
4thebigday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #3  

Where are you shopping? I find that Target and Old Navy have fashiony exercise gear, fake bike shorts and lowrise. Specialty athletic shops have a much bigger selection, assuming that you're not plus-sized.

Online try roadrunnersports.com or title9sports.com .
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #4  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I got a great pair of Adidas running shorts from Kohl's that I just adore! They are a lined mesh and have a drawstring on the inside, plus elastic around the waist.I have a pair of the low rise pants too, I got from Wal-Mart and they do feel like they are going to fall off. They are getting a little big too so I'm sure that doesn't help.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hmmm. I like the lowish rise workout pants. On me they are flattering and they DO NOT fall down--something to do with the combo of my hips/butt and the lycra, no doubt I spent a fortune on workout clothes last weekend in Distant Big City and walked away with 3 pairs of nike pants (2 capri and 1 full length) plus a pair of cute adidas full length pants. ALL are relatively low-rise. But you know, all of these things are heavily dependent on the body in question.

Good luck finding something that works for you! A girl should feel confident, athletic and just a little bit hot in her workout gear
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/142/125

Height: 5'6

One of the things I like about working out with videos is that I don't really care what I'm wearing but it's still annoying to feel like your butt crack is hanging out whenever you bend over or do a squat.
I like pants with a drawstring because I have a higher waist than most people but I find that the drawstring pants are very accomodating for most figures.
SITIBODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #7  

I will be glad when this low rise phase is over. I am not made for low rise. They fit good til I bend over then half my butt pops out the back.
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #8  

Those of you who like low rise workout bottoms-- where are you finding long enough workout tops to go with?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I have some ribbed tanks from Old Navy and J Crew that are longer than average--long enough to cover my tummy when I'm lifting weights.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Those of you who like low rise workout bottoms-- where are you finding long enough workout tops to go with?
Ha! Isn't that just the ironic bit. The pants are all low-rise but it seems like the tops are getting shorter and shorter. I'm fairly short-waisted (I normally wear a petite) and yet some of the tops barely hit my belly button. I can't imagine where they hit on someone of normal height.

I find the Target Pro Spirit tops to be fairly long (even without low-rise pants, I like a longer top); I think they would work with low rise bottoms. And they are pretty cheap, especially if you get them on sale. I like them because they are tight, so I don't have to worry about them sliding up when I jump (I workout with a trainer and he is really into jumping) or when I do situps on the incline bench.

CoolFitWear also makes tops that are definitely long enough to wear with low-rise pants. They are a little pricey but they are awesome. The fabric is super light-weight and really does wick moisture. I sweat like a pig; most moisture wicking fabric can't handle my sweat, but these tops definitely can.

Thanks for the suggestions on the bottoms.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote