Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and I keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.
So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #2  

Monday morning signifies the start of a new week, a fresh start, a clean slate!
What is it this week that you can do differently to assure your continued success?
We have a long holiday weekend coming up. I'm going away for a few days (but should have Internet access I think). I'm wondering if there will be some special challenges/snacks/meals for me.
What about the rest of you?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good morning everyone,
I'm so glad it's Monday again. I was off program way too much over the weekend. I thought hard about whether I wanted to continue to do CORE for this week or go back to FLEX. I am loving my "unmeasured" bowl of grape nuts every morning, so I think I'm going to stick with CORE for another week. I really didn't follow it perfectly last week, so I can't even say that I REALLY did it. I am up oh about a good 3 pounds right now, so it's time to get down to business.

I even put skim milk in my coffee this morning instead of the unacceptable FF 1/2 and 1/2 that I had been using. What helped me last week to get in the CORE frame of mind was to use new recipes. I made Kale for the first time, with a balsamic vinnegrette. I also made a chinese stir fry with tofu, which was also very tastey. For CORE to work for me, I need to continue on the creativity trail. This weekend will be busy, as it is the weekend we plant our pumpkins, this year it'll be about 75 acres in total. DH is busy finishing up the planting of corn and soybeans now. It's very exciting to see the weather forecast looking warm for this week.

Sorry not to address everyone, as the thread makes it harder for me to see what every one has said....

Well, as soon as I get to goal which I'm about 5 pounds away, I want to post a picture.... anyone else wanna do it?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #4  

Erica, where and how would you post a picture? I'm such a technophobe!
I was thinking of celebrating my 10% (I'm SO close) by going to that Glamor Shots place and trying to secretly get my photo take (not telling my husband to surprise him if it comes out well). I generally feel like I look kind of frumpy and take such poor photos. So, maybe if we all try to get a good picture done of ourselves we can post it - but I am not sure where/how.
Erica, I "heard through the grapevine" at WW meetings that CORE takes a week or two to work thought your system. All that extra fiber kind of plugs up your system and makes it work slower so in a week or two you begin to lose, but right now a higher weight might actually mean that it's working and you are digesting all that stuff slower? I don't really know if that is true or not, but it kind of makes sense. I eat so many foods that are truly CORE foods and love them, but remain on FLEX for the moment.
I love hearing about the farm business and how much planting you do. Do you have massive watering or irrigation systems? I would love to walk around your farm and observe the "glory" of all the growing things as they first come up. I would think of that as a thrill.
As for me, I bought two measly tomato plants, a cucumber and a squash plant. I'm hopeful to get a few home grown items for my home, but I am terrible at gardening. But, I do not give up each each. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to do it well.
I use a dairy free coffee creamer that is something like 10 calories for a tablespoon, which is more than enough to lighten my coffee and make it taste OK. I should probably add one point to my journal, to be honest with myself, for this coffee creamer, but I haven't been doing that. I have to remember that 0 plus 0 isn't always zero in the case of WW points.
Well, as for me, it's time to get on that treadmill and then do a bit of grocery shopping this morning.
Happy fresh start Monday to all!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #5  

Goooooood Monday morning all!!! It is going to be one busy week again!!! This weekend is our annual Cystic Fibrosis walk. My brother was diagnosed with CF when he was 12 (he's now 32...a big accomplishment right there) so every year we all participate in one of the walks. This year my mom is organizing the walk in my itty-bitty hometown, and it has grown beyond belief! I am so excited for her, and excited for the events planned. The walk is a 3 mile (more if you really want to go "off roading!) nature walk. Afterwards there is going to be a big bbq and celebration. My sister and her family from FL are surprising everyone (I'm the only one that knows) and coming up for it. So this week I'm going to be finishing up on cookie baskets for the doorprize table, as well as making some things for the bbq. I'm going to try to bring some healthier options to add to the food table!

Soooooo, I'm also going to try again to post my food intake on here. I am really having a tough time staying op lately. I'm going to go back to flex, too...I still have a lot of core foods in the house, though, so I probably will try to incorporate both plans. TOM still has not come, but I feel like I've been making that my excuse for eating things I shouldn't eat.

Linda-the RDA for sodium is 2300mg. WHERE did you FIND the ww ravioli?!!!!! I must know!!!! I used to make this dish "Fake Lasagna" that used the store bought ravioli, but I haven't been able to make it in a long time because the regular ones are so high in points. I used to make it probably once a week because it was so quick to put together, and tasted so much like lasagna. As far as challenges this weekend...well, I won't be able to hop on here from Friday-Monday night. My mom has internet, but it is sooooooo soooooooo sloooooooow, and usually poops out by the time I get to the page I want! Second will be that I won't be around my normal food options. I always have a really hard time finding something for breakfast up there. My mom always does the bacon, eggs, regular white bread toast...nevermind the fact that I don't really care for breakfast foods. Not that I ever have a problem that this is what she cooks (don't want to sound like a spoiled brat!) I just usually find something else to eat, but usually end up with a few pieces of white bread toast with some jam, and then I'm starving again an hour later. I'm almost thinking about bringing some stuff, but I don't want to offend her. But just bringing a loaf of ww lite bread would help, ya know? The bbq is going to be another challenge.

I hope everyone is having a super morning so far! I'll chat more later!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #6  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

hi. it's monday.

did everyone have a good weekend? I sure did, and boy did the scale reflect it. The weekend caught up to me this morning, and yesterday i was back down to the weight on my ticker. oh well, i can't say that i am surprised- friday night my college roomate was in town, and so i had a totally un-CORE dinner of bruschetta, fried brie, and chocolate peanut butter fondue and bellinis. yum! satudray was a bit better- a going away party with beer, and bad snacks, but no fondue. yesterday was a concert i have been dying to see, and so i had several un-diet beers and a chicken wrap. oops. I am hoping that all the beer just has me retaining water and there is more truth in yesterday's scale. motivation to do some working out! heh- yeah right.

i think that i am going to make it a quiet weekend. it is so hard to go out in the boat or to the beach on holiday weekends- the drunks and cops are out in full force and i would just as soon avoid it all. this week i will make the effort to be 100% on plan. i think that will make the difference, as well as snacking more wisely. luckily when i am snacking and munching idly it is grapes and pickles, but still. I don't need to eat them most of the time, i just like to. i am trying to only have fruits and veggies for snacks, but it is getting a bit trying.

sorry to be impersonal but i am just too lazy to go to the other thread. i will be back to chat more later!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #7  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi everyone.
I hope you all had a great weekend.
Thanks for starting this thread again Linda. I do appreciate all you do for us.
I have been on plan and I have done my exercise for the day.
Have a great Monday all.
Take Care
Ann
Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #8  

Hi everyone! Just checking back in. I hope everyone is having a great day!

It's been ok so far today...I've been on track with points. Tonight dh is bbqing, so I'm going to have a piece of boneless chicken breast sprinkled with rotisserie seasoning and I think I'll also have him throw some frozen veggies on the grill for me (put them in an aluminum pan first!)

I need to do some cleaning and then whip up a batch of cookies to throw in the freezer for those baskets. At least dh will be home soon, so he can taste test the cookies, as they are a recipe that I haven't made before!!!

I think I've decided to switch my meeting place. I had been going to one that was further away because that was the same town my chiropractor appts were in (I could double up and do both the same night) and because that location was open every day, but it's getting too difficult to get down there now. The last two weeks have been so crazy that I haven't been able to get down there (it's at least 20 minutes away) plus the gas...it's too easy to make an excuse not to go. Sooo this week I'm going to try out the location that is the closest to me (about 5-10min.) It is only open on one day, so I won't be able to make excuses.

Chat later!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I'm here - waving quickly - ooommmpppffff - live stinks sometimes and it still bites me continously in the butt. Didn't have such a great food day yesterday but today is GOOD so far. We'll see how tonight goes. DD's car is STILL giving us fits and it triggers stress and I just want to eat my way through it. IT's not the answer but it's SO HARD!!!! Anyway, I'll be around - hanging by my fingernails at this point
Old 05-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #10  

hello everyone, I hope all of you are doing well.

pagie: glad you stayed on track with points

rosegardern: sorry you had a bad day food wise yesterday, but I am glad you are back on track.

futurpixie: sounds like you had a good time, I probably would have done the same thing if one of my roomates had been in town.

erica: sounds like you are doing great!!!

here is what I have eaten today:
1) cheerios 1 cup 2.5
2) 2 cups 2% milk 6pts
3) 1 cup grapes 1pt
4) chicken salad 6
5) tossed salad (2 cups) c lt dressing 2pts
5) combination lo mein 4 pts
6) 3 small pieces lemon chicken ( figure this to be about 5 points)
6) water of course
7) string cheese 2pts
8) white rice 1/2 cup 2

I know the lemon chicken was bad, but I took off the skin and the strips were pretty small. I guess I had a little splurge so I went over my points and used 1.5 flex points or 1.5 activity points.

Excercise today: none but did get 13,000 steps about 4 miles of walking around today so I figure about 1-2 activity points

Last edited by haylo921; 05-21-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #11  

Me again....

I am kind of struggling here tonight. I ate a lot for dinner; nothing bad, but just a large quantity. I had dh make up 3 pieces of chicken so I could use them at another time to cut up and put on salad...and I ended up eating all 3 pieces. Not even like binging, either...I really felt like I was still hungry, not satisfied. I also had the veggies; I ended up putting them in an aluminum packet with some olive oil, seasoning, herbs, and some minced garlic. They were pretty good! I also had two cookies and a bowl of low fat ice cream. It's 8:40 right now, and I really feel like I could go sit down and eat eat eat. I'm having a really tough time journalling, too. I was trying to think of a good incentive to help me along with that, and what I came up with is that for each day journalled, I would "earn" a dollar towards a pedicure. I very, very rarely get them and my tootsies are in desperate need. We're going on vacation in a little less than a month, so if I journal every day, I'll "earn" enough money to get a pedicure before vacation. How does that sound?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #12  

Paige, I don't recall the brand name of the ravioli. However, I learned something when I used to live in NY state and then moved home to New England again that brand names of certain foods, in particular frozen pasta type of things are not the same. Just keep watching the frozen pasta area of your local stores and you may find something eventually. I really though this ww ravioli with the low fat filling tasted great and 9 ravioli for 4 points was quite good. Next time I'm in the store, I'll look over what is in the freezer case and write it down. I tossed the packaging already from last night. You don't have Market Basket stores down that way, do you?
Sounds like this weekend could be rather lean for postings. A few of us will be away.
Haylo, good to see you writing down what you are eating here. How many points do you get in a day? I would think I died and went to heaven to get that many points!!! Lucky you.
Well, it was a busy day. My daughter and I ended up eating at a Panera Bread. It was really good and DWLZ has points and I did OK eating. I love that their onion soup is only 1.5 points, it is really good and totally adds to your meal. She auditioned for an Opera Company today and I think she got in, so we did a bit of celebrating!
Hugs to all
Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #13  

derry: I get 29 points, I hadn't really realized how much it was till today actually when I really sat down and really payed attention. I try to journal but usually I don't get specific I think this may help.

paige: love your idea, I had thought of doing something like that myself, basically I had though of giving myself a dollar for everytime I excercised, or for everytime I lost a pound but I keep forgetting to set my reward system up.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good Morning everyone,
Linda-thanks for the info. that CORE works slower at first than FLEX. I'm going to stick with it, even though I'm still up about 3 pounds. I made a curried lentil salad yesterday that was really good. I'm glad that you've recovered from your "de-rail" on saturday night, I don't think I ever responded to that. The entire time I was reading it I was thinking to myself, how good it was that you came home and looked up the points, I'm not sure if I would've done that to myself. I think if nothing else, you gained an awareness. Hate to bring it up again, because I know you've moved way past it, but thought I would mention that. Thanks also for your appreciation of farming. We don't have irrigation, but it's something we would love, especially for the pumpkins. I'm actually thinking of not even doing a garden this year. I've got enough to do without one. My best friend, who lives just a few miles up the road, has a beautiful farm stand and country store. I told her the other day, that I'm going to visit her farm stand about every other day, and whatever vegetables she has out, that's what I will work with for dinner.

Paige-I feel like you did last night, just about every night. So you're doing CORE right? So the chicken that you ate is OK, you're just worried about how much you ate? I did the whole ice cream thing last night too, I didn't measure it either. It was only 1pt. for 1/2 cup, and I put my "better than peanut butter" on it too, but I just felt guilty over it because I wasn't measuring or journaling. I think the pedicure idea is really good. I did that, and it worked. I still "owe" myself one, since I hit 30 pounds, because I was giving myself one for every 10 pounds I lost. However, if I go to weigh in tonight, I will fall below 30 pounds because I'm up about 3 pounds now. So maybe I should go WI just to punish myself and get that pedicure taken away?

Laura- oh man, I know how you feel. So glad that you stopped in to let us know you're struggling.... hang in there.

haylo-how are you doing? Do you go to a weekly meeting? That lemon chicken sounds really good!

futurepixie-I take it you're still doing CORE if you're doing the fruits/veggies for snacks? I think hands down, that is the most difficult for me. It's like having to totally retrain my mind on how to snack.

Ann-sounds like you are just plugging away over there (or up there in Canada). Great job!

Well, I better go and wake DD's up. I am so tired this morning. Our 14 yr. old yellow lab was barking all night last night for some reason. Poor thing, she is definitely going senile, and we can't rely on her barks anymore. I can't be mad at her in her state, she has been the best dog ever. Talk to everyone later....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #15  

Hi guys...it's going to be a pretty gloomy day here. I just got a phone call from my sister in law; my grandmother passed away sometime in the middle of the night. Her health has been failing quite rapidly this year, so we knew it could be anytime, but I was close to her so it's almost like it's still a little bit of a shock that it actually happened.

I don't know if I will be around much this week; I have no idea when the services will be held, so I may be going up there today or tomorrow.
Closed Thread