Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default May/June issue of Muscle & Fitness Hers

First of all ... I can't believe that the little grocery store in our little town is carrying this magazine. I'm pretty happy!

Does anyone have this issue? What do you think of the Metabolism 101 article or the diet of Julie Lohre?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I actually quit buying it bc the new format/size was harder for me to handle. It's like the size of Oprah's magazine, and for some reason, they irritate me to try to read. Someone once told me it's bc that size is hard to photocopy of something bc it's broader than a std 8.5 page. I digress. Please share your thoughts & if good, I will run to CVS tomorrow and grab it. I picked it up but put it down, remembering that it gave me hand cramps! lol
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #3  

Well Fran, I don't want to give you hand cramps!

It's early and I should be doing other things but here are a couple of points that I found interesting in the Metabolism 101 article.
The aging difference (resting metabolic rate) was estimated at 20-25% from age 20 to 75. That's less than most folks think, I think, and over a much longer time span.

Pound for pound of lean muscle mass ... in people who are mobile ... there is little difference in caloric usage. Fat has little to do with it.

Only 4% of Americans do have thyroid difficulties.

You can improve your metabolism.

I'll fill in some more if you'd like ... after work.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to see if my little town has it!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #5  

OK, I got it I got it!! That reminds of me of Depalma's post about that trainer's website, where the trainer says, there just isn't that much muscle loss during fat loss, given a standard diet and un-crazy cardio routine. And I have to agree that active obese people probably have a good amount of muscle. I mean, it takes some pretty good strength to haul 200+ lbs up the stairs a bagillion times a day and chase after kids. That's why I think we all agree too that for heavy people, just doing bodyweight squats and lunges are enough. But that's the first time I've read in print, someone admitting that obese active people are pretty muscular. In fact, I hopped on a friend's Tanita scale which told all kinds of extra measurements and gave you a body description number. Mine correlated to "Obese large frame" which the manual described as overfat, but also a high level of muscle for body frame. Interesting. Definitely better than just being plain old obese.

Seems like the more we read, the more we learn that these are just all excuses that we hear, and very little truth. The basics work - healthy eating, cardio and weight training.

Thanks for pointing it out Susan.

Last edited by sportmom; 05-20-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #6  

What about Julie Lohre's diet? I mean ... I don't think I'm going to eat sushi everyday but ... as a basic guide for a good week???
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #7  

Reading it I thought it wasn't enough calorie-dense food. Then I got to the bottom and saw yes, only 1379 kc. I just think for as much as she works out, that must be only 800 net cals a day, don't you think? But like Mel's told us often, it's the stringent cutback before a photo shoot, so I guess for one week, after which you would be able to consume a variety of real food again, maybe.

How about the story on DropSets on p 16. Has anyone here talked about this method before? Link if you have it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #8  

Yup, for her that is pretty stingy. For me 1400 cals is not bad. I think if I was wandering off the beaten path into carbdom ... it might be a short term sort of ... kick. Ya know?

I have dropped weight. You know how some days your weights just seem heavy? I try to do one set anyway and then grab lighter dumbells. In truth ... I just don't have enough dumbells to do that ... quite that specifically.
I wonder what the guru's think?

and about CLA ... pg 31. I got some and have been taking 1000 mgs twice a day for my 21 day challenge. I have some assessing to do but I'm pretty pleased with my results over-all.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #9  

Same page, 31, the answer to the perennial question: soy or whey? Interesting response. Six or a half dozen apparently.

Wow, this has been really enjoyable, like a book club. Maybe we should start a new monthly magazine discussion forum.......for the popular titles, which I guess would be M&FH (tho not monthly) and Oxygen. Fitness Rx is my other fav, but it can be hard to find, and usually contains more digested articles than new information.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #10  

I'm not sure where I've found Oxygen. I'll have to keep an eye out.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Hi, guys.
I have the latest M&F sitting on my night stand and now I want to dig in. Unfortunately, it's early and the gym calls. I'll give it a read through tonight. Personally, I love the idea of talking about a magazine edition because that's what I miss most. I read a lot of stuff, but trying to sift out the fact from fiction can be tough.

I'll check in tonight after I read the magazine.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #12  

OK Kylie, we'll be here!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for starting this thread, it made me go back to reading the magazine ... I really dislike the size too, it makes it really difficult to read in the bath ...

I tried the "Fast Twitch, SlowTwitch" workout on p.72.... I was only able to stick to it for 2 weeks though, I got side tracked

This morning I'm going to try the Circuit training on page 71 Julie Darby supposedly does I wonder if they really do those workous: . I'd like a full body workout for the summer because I don't want to spend too much time in the gym because of biking and running. I'm not sure if I'll have time to do the Circuits 4 times each because I'm running late a bit this morning...

Later all, I'll give you the details when I come back...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #14  

I had kinda forgotten how motivating a magazine can be until I saw this one and started playing with it. Then sharing ideas with you folks has been another kick ... so, yes I'm all for it too.

I don't really understand the twitch thing. I'll have to go read it somewhere very quiet and think.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Mmmpphh! I got to one grocery and be dam**ed if I could remember the name of the magazine But I don't think they had it. I'll look at the other - and I've written down the name.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote