Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #1  
Motivated Beginner

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: 5'6"

Question Drinks!

Hey Everyone,

I am a newbie here on this website, and I am just starting my healthy lifestyle change and I am having luck in most areas but I have one big problem - I Like the Drink!

A big part of my social life is centred around alcohol - going out to the bars, watching the hockey game (Go Sens Go!), or game nights with the girls. I have given up my beer (much to my dismay) and have switched to a Whiskey and Diet Ginergale Ale but that still packs a lot of Calories when you go out on Saturday Night.

Does anyone have any healthier solutions, other than quitting all together?

Thanks!
- britt
brittH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I have a similar problem! I haven’t given up the beer altogether, but I’ve definitely cut way back. Sometimes I’ll opt for a vodka club soda with a splash of juice, but that’s still not doing me any favors in calories. I’m not sure there really is a good answer other than strict portion control and making “lighter” choices, just like with food. I’d be interested to hear what others have to say.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #3  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I think wine is supposed to be a good option. I try to avoid drinking but I either have wine or Vodka soda/vodka water with lime.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #4  
Ready for a Change!!

S/C/G: 150/148/130

Height: 5'9

I drink Vodka & Cranberry not sure if it is best or not but I like it.
CRYSANDBOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

My favorites are gin and tonic, and diet coke and rum. One thing you might consider is rotating between alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. Get a whiskey and diet ginger ale, then next time you go to the bar, just order diet ginger ale. , or water. That way you can hang out with you friends, always have a drink in hand and not consume a lot of calories. (Some places even garnish up your drink like there it is alcoholic).
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

I really wish wine was a better options because I am deffinitly a wine drinker but that is not the case. It is better for you than beer and it is very good for you to have one glass a day. But, unfortunately it is loaded with calories, and more than one glass is not so good. I still have my occasional glass of wine, but have switched to diet soda and vodka or rum.... Not the best tasting, and still has the calories, but this is the best option I've found thus far... it sucks I know
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #7  
Motivated Beginner

S/C/G: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeos Girly View Post
Get a whiskey and diet ginger ale, then next time you go to the bar, just order diet ginger ale. , or water. That way you can hang out with you friends, always have a drink in hand and not consume a lot of calories.
That's not only good advice to save calories, but also better for me in the morning!
brittH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #8  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

wine may not be low calorie but one thing that is good about it is usually you end up drinking it slower, atleast that's the case for me. I'm a wine sipper, but when I have beer or mixed drinks they go down way faster! I think portion control, just like with your eating, is an important key here. You can still have a drink or 2, just don't make it 5 or 6!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/150

Height: 5"3"

you could also try suger free red bull and vodka but if u are unwinding and going to bed I would not drink that maybe gin and tonic with a nice big lime
riversidebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/166/135

Height: 5'5.5"

I try to drink wine, it goes down a lot slower.
janamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 AM   #11  
Jazzercise away the fat!!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

I also drink wine, I sip it instead of beer, where I'll chug it!!
mamaplots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #12  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Flavored vodka (Lemon is a fav!) and diet coke when I go out.. if we're doing shots-- I likw sugarfree cherry bombs (sf redbull and cherry vodka)-- the thing that gets me is bar food-- after a few drinks, burgers sound awesome!
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I think the best thing to do is to just plan ahead. If you know you'll be going to the bar with your friends on Friday, you could cut back 80 calories per day (not much at all!) leading up to it. If you do that Sunday through Thursday, that's 5 shots and the week still balances out!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #14  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with planning ahead and around the drinking - budget lower calorie meals/days before the event.

I agree with the slower sip-ability of wines, but if you don't chug beers, a bottle or a can is a good option too. I also like rum 'n (diet) cokes... though with some bartends, that wounds up being a glass of rum with a splash of soda, talk about getting drunk cheaply

And oh yea, stay away from the pretzels & chips -- that's just begging for mindless eating and more empty calories.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 207/188/130

Height: 5'3"

There are 55 calories in a shot of Vodka. I drink it with Minute Maid Light Lemonade, there are 15 calories in one serving. So now you have a total of 70 calories...all empty!!!
vlcdieter is offline   Reply With Quote