Old 02-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #1  

Default overeater's anonymous

I went to the website and viewed my local meetings about this. I have to admit that I am a little skeptical about one thing that I read. I am not a fan of passing a collection plate. I have never even been to a church that does that. The reason is because people can see how much you give or don't give and if you don't have anything to give, it makes you look bad. The truth is, I feel these collection plates are often times a way to guilt people into giving money, even if they don't have it. I have enough guilt in my life over other things, including food, that I don't need anymore pressure. I know this sounds like I am picking something apart. I am not saying that I wouldn't give something, because obviously the people who lead these meetings need to have some reimbursement. I am just a little uncomfortable with it. Did they do that at your meeting? Or was there a box in the back you could put money in? Just a question. Thank you.
oregongirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi there-

There are no dues or fees for members. Each OA group is supported solely by its own members. At my meeting, money collected is used to pay room rent, an advertisement in the local paper, to purchase literature, pamphlets, and milestone tokens. If/when there is extra money, some is sent to the local intergroup or to the world services office.

At any meeting that I've been to, the secretary announces the above and then states that the suggested donation is $1-2. Sometimes people can contribute, and sometimes they can't. Some people go to many meetings in a week, but only contribute at their "home" meeting. It's pretty individual.

As far as seeing what others are putting in, or judging the amount-- Part of program is learning humility and to love others just as they are. We also learn to mind our own damn business and take care of our "own" program. We remain anonymous about our family, our income, our residence, our profession, and anything else that isn't directly related to program or recovery. Folks don't know how much money you have to give, and honestly, they don't care. Not much attention is paid to what each person does with the basket. Attention is focused instead on the person speaking at the time.

Some meetings I put in $2 because I have it. Some weeks I don't have any cash, and don't put anything in. No one cares. It's between me and myself. I contribute to my home group in other ways too. I provide service in many ways.

When I find that I have a resentment about the program, I know that there's something wrong, and I need to reflect and look at WHY I'm having the resentment. Could this be your excuse to not go? Could this be related to something that happened in the past? You may ask yourself why this one particular thing is bothering you? (beyond what you already shared)
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #3  

Not my excuse not to go. I am pretty much always trying to better myself. I have had a lady I go to school with suggest a 12 step program to help me grow. This one seems the closest to my problem. I just had some concerns because I don't want to put myself in an environment that is just going to make me feel worse. I am looking for healing and help, I just wasn't sure how much pressure I would face in this area. I don't mind giving to a good cause, I am just not sure that I want it to be in front of everyone. That's all, I promise.
oregongirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #4  
julie

S/C/G: 239/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'2

i have only gone to two meeting so far. from what i have learned there it is worth the two dollars. also i think about how that $2 is going towards other people coming to OA.

ona side note i really doubt there are people in a church looking at the people that don't give badly. everyone of us has been in a bind some time or other. giving money at OA or a church is not required so please don't let that hold you back from going. if you look back i also asked the same question.
jaceycat28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/227/?

Height: 5'1"

I have been to three meetings, and this is an issue for me as well. My group has only four members so it's very obvious who gives and who doesn't. It makes me self-conscious. I'm the kind of person who uses my debit card for everything and "never" carries cash. Also I grew up in church and was always bothered by the offering plate, too. So, I'll be learning how to deal with the different parts of this small aspect as I go.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

The money part of OA has never been an issue at the two meetings I go to every week. OA states that the only requirement to be a member is the desire to stop eating compulsively.

The people who lead OA volunteer their time. I frequently lead OA meetings and I do it because I like to and get a lot out of it.

OA is an organization and needs money to run. $2 is the norm and sometimes I don't have cash with me and I give double the next time. The money supports the non-profit organization that OA is. The money goes toward buying literature inventory, phamplets, welcome packets, chips and a percentage gets sent to OA which needs money to be an organization for various things like the website, promotional materials, etc. A small portion of our money also gets donated to the church about twice a year where we hold our meetings which I doubt even covers the cost of electricity, heat, etc of the rooms we use every week.

I guess I look at it like the $10-15 I spend per month at my two weekly OA meetings is nothing compared to the thousands of dollars I've spent on trying to lose weight, not to mention the heartache I've suffered over food my whole life. A good therapist is normally $75 a session (which I've tried also).

I've been going to OA meetings for 4 1/2 months so at an average of $15/month, I've spent $67.50 for meetings and another $30 on books when I first joined. I feel like my recovery is worth a million times that.
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #7  

charlene-

here here. Well said my friend.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #8  

Default Giving at meetings

I have been in A programs from 14 years and noboby cares what you give. Trust me that's the last thing on people's mind. I my 14 years of attending several different programs I have had money and had no money. No one is going to pressure you to give anything. Every meeting is the groups meeting and whatever is contributed goes toward keeping the meeting going and if there is not enough to keep it going then somebody will figure out what else to do. A programs are non profit, in fact if there is anything left over at meetings after paying all the bills the money must be spent somehow on the meetings there isn't supposed to be a surplus. My home group in another A programs puts on dances or other sober events to spend any surplus. In other words passing the basket is not a big deal in any A program. The seventh tradition-we are fully self supporting declining outside contributions is completely different from any other organization in existence. No one can donate to that group from outside this is in place so that no other individual or organization can come and put claims on that A group. We support ourselves in that respect that are no little or big people at any meeting. If you have conflicts in this area no put anything in, no one will ask you to if you don't. There are no dues or fees for membership, you don't have to put anything in to be a part of that group, the only requirement for membership is a desire to ........fill in the blank of your A meeting. There is but one ultimate authority a Higher Power as expressed in the group conscience, no one will beat you up for not putting in anything and no one is obligated to give adulations for putting in a bunch of money. If these are your first meetings then I encourage you to keep going back, your perspective regarding this will change. It's truly not worth giving up on recovery, trust me.

Ruthie
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #9  

Thanks Ruthie. Good perspective.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Hey, the OA meeting I went to passed around a basket. People put in change or bills whatever. I didn't put in anything. But I don't see a problem with that if there is no outside money. Each group takes care of itself. I think it's better that way cause the group/org doesn't become a slave to politics. Basically the change people give covers the printing cost. It takes money to print out information, order brochures, etc.

I also think the literature is low-cost. Here in Canada the average book costs atleast 20$ and the OA books are around 9$.

Anyway, my initial feelings about OA were sortta negative, but I think that's the part of me that is just dishonest & wants to stay an overeater.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote