Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Squats and weight amount question.....

I'm currently doing squats with a max weight of 30lb dumbbells on each hand. I feel like I could increase and do more, as I am going parallel to the ground in a deep squat but not getting any more pain in my legs the next day. I keep in creasing and increasing every couple of weeks. The problem now, with these 25 and 30lb dumbbells, is that my ARMS are killing me while I hold them for the squats. My inner elbows hurt and it really feels like the weight is too much for my arms to hold (I don't want to get shoulder problems from it). This is the thing that will keep me from going up again. Suggestions? I spent a huge amount of money on dumbbells to workout at home, so I don't really want to run out and get a barbell with plates, but if that is the only answer, I'm sure dh will be up to going shopping for me. lol Man-toys, ya know!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #2  
Meg

Lifting straps would help your grip but not take the weight off your elbows and shoulders. You can hold the DBs on your shoulders but I always find that to be awkward. So I vote for the BB and plates. Knowing how strong you are, Fran, you could easily be squatting twice what you are now with the right equipment.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #3  

Thanks Meg, yeah, the grips are not the problem. So you think I'm strong? I have been giving you false illusions!!!! I will try the shoulder thing on Sunday which is my next lbwo and report back. I thought of that, but was worried it would throw off my balance or be harder (too hard) somehow.

If anyone has links of dumbells, plates and I guess what - clips? I would love to see them. I'll surf our favorite walmart.com to see what they have. Meg, how much do you think I should be lifting (afraid to ask! lol)?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #4  
Meg

Disclaimer: There isn't any 'should' in lifting and everyone has some muscle groups that are just naturally stronger. But based on what you're lifting for upper body, I wouldn't be surprised to see you squatting 135 in a month or two (that would be a 45# BB and two 45# plates). And eventually working up to 200 pounds or so. I get the impression that you're pretty solid and muscular, right?

That's why I think you should consider a BB and plates - there isn't any way to squat heavy with DBs. Resting heavy DBs on your shoulders is painful, awkward, and you end up focusing on keeping them in place, not the exercise.

And a real BB squat is different that a DB squat in terms of muscles used. The weight is on your shoulders so you need a ton of core strength to keep balanced and your back straight. I read that a BB squat uses 73% of the muscles in your body!

Can you tell I'm a big fan?

PS - did you know that our Mel has squatted over 300 pounds?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #5  

Wow, my reply got lost, I must have hit the back key before posting!

Yeah, I guess I am pretty solid and strong. I have a Weider home gym weight machine as well - are there any equivalent moves that could be done on it that would replicate the squat? I guess I need to look at my owner's manual bc it's hard to know what my machine offers, right? But in general, does a multi-station weight machine offer anything for squat-like work? It kind of looks like this one, but without the leg-press option:
Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #6  
Meg

Fran, I really don't know anything about home machines so can't even guess what might replicate a squat. You could look through Exrx.net and see if there's any exercise that works the same muscle groups and that you can do with your home set-up.

This is probably a good time for Mel to pop in and talk about why she joined a gym.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

If you get a barbell and plates then you really need a squat rack too... I got to the point where I could squat more than I could press over my head and wanted to squat more so I joined a gym! I suppose you could always do front squats or back squats...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #8  

What's that, like a smith machine? I need to google it to see what that looks like - but it sounds like that is the jumping off point from a home gym to a gym gym.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

It's the rack that the dumbbell sits on, when you see people doing bench presses in the movies... It's that thing! It just means you can hoist the bar up to pegs that are level with your shoulders, then load the bar. Then you can get under the bar, get it ready on your shoulders then take it off the rack and squat away.

A Smith machine is where the barbell is restricted to only move in the vertical direction. It feels mighty different to real squatting. A Smith machine is a bit like using a vertical leg press - you don't use many stabiliser muscles to keep balanced.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #10  
Mel

I was about to jump in and post about when and why I joined a gym when I read your first post, Fran! You could go buy a squat rack, barbell and plates, or a smith machine. A GOOD smith machine runs around $1000 used, if you can find an old cybex machine that came out of a gym. A home smith machine is NOT WORTH HAVING! A squat rack would be great if you have the space and the money.

I finally joined a gym when I cound no longer hoist the bar up on my shoulders by myself without getting hurt, or get it off again. When doing a workout at home becomes a hazard, it's time to rethink it.

Another short-term alternative- preexhaust your quads by doing a set of those leg cranks: 20-24 body weight squats, 24 alternating leg body weight lunges, 24 (or until you drop) jump squats...no rest between any of these, rest 45 seconds, then do your regularly scheduled leg program. You should be pretty tired when you start, so those 30 pound dumbbells just might be a challenge!

Or move away from basic squats for a while (heretical, I know) and do some variations so that you are on one leg and it's more challenging with the same or less weight. Put one foot up behind you on a bench, hold dbs in both hands and bend the knee that has the foot on the floor. Keep your torso upright. this is a quad, glute and hamstring killer. Also requires some balance so try it unweighted first.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Here are a few links to look at:

This one is Powertec bench and squat rack. Powetec is a pretty good brand and this is reasonably priced and it even includes a chin up bar at the top of the rack.

http://www.bigfitness.com/powobesynews.html

Since you have a home gym you might not have a need or desire for the whole setup. Here is a squat only rack. Probably more than you want to spend for a rack only however.

http://bigfitness.com/comurabyboso.html

this one is a bit cheaper, but notice that it does not have the saftey spotters. If you are working with a partner who you trust to spot you, then this might be an option. If you are working out alone or you or your training partner is not comfortable spotting you at the heavy weights associated with squats, then please do not consider this one even though it is economical. SAFETY FIRST!

http://bigfitness.com/bosoposqra.html

If you want a bench rack setup but the powertec is a bit too pricey for you, then this might be a cheaper alternative.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5280822

IMHO, the powertec bench/rack, which includes delivery is the best buy outside of a gym membership.

EDIT: I misread. You were were looking for links to plates and barbells, etc, not racks. I'll leave these here anyway in case you're interested.

As for Barbell and plates. Check around at your local Dick's or Sports Authority or other store. They often have the 300lb Olympic sets (45lb 6" bar with 255lbs plates) on sale for a little over $100. Buying the bars and plates seperate will run you much higher.

I have seen bars and plates at my local walmart but not a full set for some reason. The prices for the plates were not any cheaper than my local Dick's sporting goods though. If you are going to buy plates, don't do so online unless you find someone who ships for free or you are going to obviously get killed because of the weight.

Last edited by Depalma; 01-17-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #12  

Thanks Depalma. And actually, the racks were perfect, bc I knew even less of them than I did the bb and plates. When Fru suggested, my question was why, and then Meg/Mel answered saying that you easily get to where you cannot lift it up over you to begin squatting, but that's the part I missed. I thought I could just load the plates on, lift it and bench, w/o realizing I'd be in the same problem of not being able to lift something that heavy. So the rack serves the purpose of holding the bar and letting you stack the weights one at a time, and then slide under it to start the squat, thereby you never have to hoist the full thing off the floor, correct?

I will have to see what I think. Strangely enough, the gym about 2 miles away had an open house today. I didn't get to go bc dd is sneezy, and nothing would be worse than taking a sneezy kid into a gym with me for a tour! I have to weigh out options - since I already have a treadmill, elliptical, free weights, and enjoy working out at home and don't have alot of free childfree time (and don't want to drag my kids into gym daycare), I may continue to add on at home. The cost for more equipment would probably only be about the equivalent of 4-5 months of membership anyway...and then be mine to keep. I really don't want the gym for any classes at this point in life. I really like being able to work out at 6 am or 9 pm while my kids are sleeping if I want to, plus on the weekends while they play in the house w/o making them have to go somewhere with me. Hmmm, I appreciate all the links, I feel like I had a virtual class in racks. Thanks again!

One other question - are there any other moves I'm likely to "outgrow" and need more gym type equipment for? I don't necessarily want to do assisted pull-ups, leg presses (Mel says they're overrated, and not to worry! ) or fancy things, but want to continue to develop. Are there any other exercises that I will run out of growing room just using free weights with?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Once you have a rack with safey spotters, you probably will not "outgrow" any exercises. Of course, there will be some worthwhile exercises that you won't be able to do that require a high or low pulley, but there are barbell and dumbell exercises that you can do that will hit the same muscle groups just as effectively.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #14  
Mel

Quote:
leg presses (Mel says they're overrated, and not to worry!

Nope, not me! I love the leg press. It's extensions that I think are fairly useless if you can do multijoint exercises.

If you have the space, I think the rack with the safety bars, or a power cage with safeties is the way to go. The power cage is slightly more versatile in that you can use is for bench pressing, pullups, hanging abs if you buy the straps, etc.

Also, SportsAuthority HERE runs coupons every six weeks or so for $25 off $100 purchase...I'd just watch the sale fliers.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #15  

Pulley! Yes, I have a low pulley on the home gym! I used to do my adductor, abductor, and front and back leg pulls on it!

DH just poo-pooed the idea and said put the db's on my shoulders as he does "not think I'm really to that point yet." baaah! We have a little motivation problem here - I workout, he sits upstairs and eats junk food. We're out of synch on our fitness goals at current! Luckily, I wear the pants in the family!!!!