Old 01-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #1  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Veggie Helpers

So I keep meaning to tell all of you veggie haters one of my ways of including more veggies that I don't really like. I sautee veggies like frozen green beans (I HATE all green beans, except for canned, which are not allowed), cider vinegar, splenda, finely chopped onion, and lite salt until the onions are transluscent and the beans are tender. If you refrigerate them for the next day, they pick up the onion and vinegar flavors, and barely taste like green beans anymore It is a salty/sweet/tangy flavor, and I LOVE it. I actually got this idea from one of my mother in laws recipes. Her's is basically the same, but made with bacon and real sugar and salt. I think you could do this with many veggies.......and on the red plan, green beans cooked is only 1/2 cup. Just thought I would share the joy.........as I really don't enjoy many veggies, but try to eat them anyway.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #2  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Great idea, Nicole!

BTW - I LOVE that original recipe - of course!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #3  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

I made this marinated veggie recipe thinking I got it from the LAWL thread, but after I made it, I realized it was for WW...but what the heck...it smells really good and I'll be eating it for the next few days. Not sure if it's on our LAWL thread (I'll look post posting). I really made this so I would get familiar with this new "commercial-like" food processor I got for Christmas; I have never sliced veggies in a food processor in my life (always did it by hand) and now I'm hooked! All I want to do is slice things......(hopefully no fingers!)

Ingredients:
1 large cucumber; thinly sliced
1 medium-sized red pepper; thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 medium-sized zucchini; halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar (5-calorie per tablespoon balsamic vinegar)
1 tsp. olive oil
4 packets SPLENDA (or 2 1/2 tbsp. SPLENDA Granular)
1 cup water
salt and pepper; to taste

Directions:
In a plastic container with a lid, combine all vegetables. In a separate container, combine and mix vinegar, oil, Splenda and water. Pour marinade over veggies, cover, and place in fridge for 24 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. HG Tip: This is even yummier after 2 days! Makes five generous 1-cup servings.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Yummy suggestions Joni and Nicole. I will have to add that!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #5  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Joni.....my family makes a marinated cucumber salad that very much reminds me of the recipe you posted(which I totally plan on making..thank you). It is very simple, and would have to be changed a bit for LAWL, but it is just super thin sliced cucumbers and sweet onions in a vinegar and oil dressing that is a bit sweet. I bet you could use the marinade from your recipe on just cukes and onioins.........I am so exicited to try your recipe. Change is good.

Also.......I got a salad spinner and a mini food processor for Chirstmas too. I love the salad spinner......I use it almost every day. I left my mini food processor in Wisconsin (oops), but my sis is comming here for the weekend, so she will bring it for me. I want to slice everything too. So fun!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Just an update that this really does need 24 hours to get to its best flavor. And I think I would go a little easier on the onion and maybe up the Splenda! What do I know! Nicole - I think I like sweet better, so your recipe may be more to my desires!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #7  

Hi everyone,
I had a friend on South Beach who made "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower and she really raved about it. Does anyone know of such a thing that can be used with LAWL?
Thanks for the info in advance.
I just wanted to say I am new, about 1 week on the plan and feel I have learned more and be more inspired by all of you than at the "COD" (I finally learned what that meant!). You are all so inspiring and make me see that it is possible to be the "FutureBellyDancer".
FutureBellyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Welcome! Forget about the cauliflower mashed potatoes and do the real thing. I think there is a recipe in the side dishes thread that has the LA mashies. If not, let me know and I will post. You get 1/2c for 1S and they are really good.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote