Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Unknown Music

I'm looking for some new music. Not new to the world necessarily but new to me. If you could share a band that you think is pretty darn good but not many people know about, post it! I think we did this one before and I got great recommendations for French hip-hop.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

My favorite band that no one knows about is The Flash Girls. You have to like folk music and Neil Gaiman lyrics though They've parted ways already, but it's my suggestion for what it's worth They were comprised of the writer Emma Bull and Neil's assistant, the Fabulous Lorraine.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #3  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Ok, where you live, not many people know about these bands, but where I live they do. Does that count? They are all Canadian rock bands. I don't live in Canada but I can see Fort Erie, Ont. out of my window at work.

~Sam Roberts

~54.40 (Hootie & the Blowfish covered 54.40's song - "I Go Blind")

~The Tragically Hip (my personal favorites - rock/jam band kind of thing) Actually the Hip have been around for almost 20 years now.

~Gord Downie - lead singer/songwriter of the Hip, but has done solo work.

~Theory of a Deadman

~Finger Eleven (closest thing I can relate them to would be Staind)

~Tea Party

~The Watchmen - were great, but broke up. Did an awesome live cover of
Sweet Baby James

~Three Days Grace

~Great Big Sea - great fun, pop-y/celtic/folk/traditional/rock

~Spirit of the West - see above, but from the West Coast of Canada instead of the East.

Last edited by squeaker; 08-30-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #4  

I just found out that an old boyfriend of mine from college is in a band & I was listening to some cuts on their site, sounded pretty good to me. They just released a CD. www.thebottlebabies.com
Old 08-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

I found a band that maybe I just had never heard of. I'm still stuck mostly on what I listened to back in high school...
Flogging Molly. They are irish/punk and i just love them. I don't even like things considered punk, but i really adore them.

A great urban folk singer is Toshi Reagon. She opened for Ani Difranco at a couple of concerts I've been to and she is amazing. Better in person but still really great.

I love my good old '90's bands mostly. Alice in Chains, Rage against the Machine, Cake... but everybody knows them by now I think. If you're feeling really old school, you could always check out "the pop will eat itself" which for some reason unbeknownst even to me, I adore even though it is cheezy old school brittish hip-hop/dance. I don't understand it but I love it (quietly in my mp3 player, no out loud where others can hear *LOL*)

Last edited by lizziness; 08-30-2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Lacuna Coil - Italian rock band with female lead singer - they were around before Evanessence and I think the singer is better than Amy Lee (although I do like Evanessence).

http://www.lacunacoil.it/ The page takes a while to load
Old 08-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #7  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

Lacuna Coil and Flogging Molly are both great bands...I'll have to keep thinkin of anything else...I'm sure I know some...just not off the top of my head
Old 08-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #8  
the muse of memory

This thread intrigued me & I have to add: Darra J & particularly their recent CD, Boomerang - great, quite accessible Senegalese hip-hop. There are some clips of two of their songs at this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/world/rev...boomrang.shtml
Old 08-31-2005, 12:55 AM   #9  
LivingDeadGirl

interesting
Old 08-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #10  
Life is a cabaret

Ooh I love Flogging Molly! I caught them at the Leeds Festival (in the UK) last year and they were awesome. Dropkick Murphys are fun too! They played at the same festival and then I was lucky enough to catch them earlier this month at the Vans Warped Tour in St Pete, FL.

A band that I fell in love with when I was still in England was The Rasmus (they're Finnish, like HIM). I haven't heard anything of them over here, so I suspect you could still call them new. Check out their CD "Dead Letters" - I adore it!

I'm a music-a-holic so if you tell me what types of music you like, I could probably suggest some bands - not necessarily new but new to you!

Have fun!

Alisha
Old 09-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #11  

I've been listening to indie rock superstars Arcade Fire and Wolf Parade a lot, lately. If you like Modest Mouse, they are a good bet. I also am in love with a band called The Hold Steady from Brooklyn, NY. They used to be Lifter Puller from Minneapolis, but moved and changed their name. They still sound the same, though, and sing about the same things (mostly the mid-west punk rock party scene, although the music is definitely more straight up rock and roll than punk).

My super hipster husband has me into a lot of Brian Eno and Can, and I am just now worming my way out of a super duper David Bowie phase.

When I work out, I like to listen to Daft Punk and German DJ super heroine Ellen Alien. Great dance music for booty shaking days.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #12  
LivingDeadGirl

hmmm all sounds good
Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

We are huge anime watchers at my house, and a band we found is Boa (not to be confused with J-Pop star Boa, this is a band from England). If you watched Serial Experiments: Lain, they did the main theme song from it. Absolutely love them.

I also really liked the CD that Milla Jovovich put out before she became an actress. It's pretty old, but I still enjoy it. It's a sort of quiet folksy type music. If you like Celtic style music, Hanz Araki is amazing. I've gone to see him live the last 2 years at a celtic music festival. He's had a couple different banks, the latest is called An Tua. He's based in Seattle, but he is Japanese and learned everything on Japanese style flutes, then switched over to Celtic style music. He's amazing.
On the opposite spectrum a friend of mine in PA got me into Electric Hellfire Club and Lords of Acid, both of which didn't get much play here on the west coast. The stuff I listen to is pretty old, like I said, but I still love it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #14  

Wow, what a great thread!

I'm always looking for new music suggestions, too.

Sister Mergatroid, Ive never heard of Wolf Parade, but I just recently got Arcade Fire's "Funeral" cd. I haven't even listened to it yet, actually, I'll have to give it a whirl and while I'm at it, I'll look up Wolf Parade :0)

Goddess Jessica, lately Ive been listening to mewithoutYou, Bloc Party, & Head Automatica. Bloc Party and Head might be more well known than what you are looking for, but they are bands I was just introduced to this summer for the first time.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #15  
LivingDeadGirl

these all sound good
Closed Thread