Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Question Favorite summer beauty products?

What are everyone's favorite tips, tricks and products to use for summer skin, hair and makeup?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Sunscreen Sunsreen Sunscreen My current fav is Alba Bontanica Daily shade formula. I can't believe how soft it leaves my skin. It has lots of antioxidants in it too.

I've also started using a sunscreen leave in conditioner on my hair. I'm trying to see if it will slow down the fading of my color. The jury's still out on that.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #3  

I need a new sunscreen... thx Tani! Seems I try to use it but I just tan thru... in the years of yore ( THATS THE ANCIENT TIMES TO YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!) having a lovely reddish bronze tan was envied by the Gods...Sigh, I still tan deeply but not intentionally!
Since I like to be outdoors, swimming hiking and the like my hair tends to get very chrispy.. I use good old beer and egg shampoo once a month, with a lovely fresh lemon rinse... (Hmmm sounds like the makings of a lemon piccata recipe..)... and for those special beauty days I saturate my hair with virgin olive oil and wrap it in a plastic bag and sleep on it...

God even my beauty regimen is steeped in FOOD!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #4  

I couldn't agree more on the suncreen!

My favorite is Ombrelle from L'oreal - it is a bit pricy but it is cheaper at Costco and it is the one that I find works the best for me. I have to use 30+ as I am really fair skinned. I use sunscreen the way other people use body lotion! Don't forget to do your feet and the back of your ears!

Olay has a nice skin brightening face lotion that has 15spf so I use that daily on my face. Nice results!

And I exfoiliate in the shower with a skin softening shower gel - Olay again! I've been using Olay since I was a teen and I just haven't found anything I like better

That olive oil treatment is a great idea Schatzi!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #5  

hmmm: Question to Ponder....If you are fatter, do you tan more.... kinda like a Basted Turkey? AnyWhooo , will see if Sams Club has Alba or L'oreal!
Yes VOO is Fabu for your hair! Makes it silky soft!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #6  

VOO is awesome as a hand treatment too! If you mix a 1tbs olive oil and 1 tbsp sugar in a small ceramic or glass bowl - heat for 30-35 seconds in the microwave then apply to you hands, rubbing in slowly then rinsing thoroughly, it makes a great exfoiliator/skin rejuvenator - my hands feel awesome after this!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #7  

I wish I could use sunscreen, I have tried about a gazillion & all of them make me break out in zits. There are a few brands I can use on my body but not my face but then I too seem to tan right through them. Or burn rather. I am fair with blue eyes. My mom had very bad skin cancer last year, had to have 57 stitches put in when they cut it out. Plus she looks ten years older than she should. So....I am very leery of the sun. I basically try to stay in the house during the day. I garden in the early morning or dusk. I love to work with my tomatoes & flowers so when I cheat on that rule I wear long sleeved shirts & pants by a company called Solumbra. (www.solumbra.com) They are great! They are almost tissue paper thin & fairly cool, even when it's like 100 out. They have a higher spf than most clothing while not wicking away sweat. Their stuff is often used by people who have had skin cancer. Alas, they are very expensive. I just started using a shampoo with uv protection in it too...I dye my hair dark red & it fades SO quickly. Btw, anyone know just HOW often I can get away with redying with permanent at home dyes? I use garnier. I know your just supposed to touch up the roots but with it being so hot here I'm taking like two showers a day. My hair fades out so I end up hitting it again with the dye. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #8  

DL: So sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she is recovering quickly with no reoccurrence..... What a great www site.. I will probably revisit it and order a long sleeve shirt..the money will be worth it .. I spend my days outdoors as much as I can.. and love to be out in a canoe or kayak in the summer. I went out earlier this week, put on SScreen, but came back with a burn that quickly tanned...
I love red hair! I wish I could get away with that color, but I settle for my dark brown with red hilites.. I know that your hair will get dulled and look overly processed when you color laden it. A friend told me that prior to coloring , wash my hair for the week before with dawn dish soap to strip out some of the coloring. When coloring to your roots.. wait the 5-10 minutes, and make a color shampoo out of the rest of the coloring with regular shampoo. Lather it up, wait 5 minutes and wash it out..I've only used this method once... seemed to work ok...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

DL: Try a color depositing shampoo between colorings. I use Paul Mitchell's line. Very good.

Ok, I use BullFrog sunscreen on my body (and face if I'm going to the beach). The spray formula goes on very fast and it works really well. I wear SPF 36 (it's the highest it comes in). I also wear a lot of hats.

On my face I've been using Oil of Oldlady with the SPF 15 just because I am lazy and if I'm putting on mosturizer, it should have sunscreen in it. Although i should look for the products you've mentioned.

Two products I've been loving lately are Aveda's Lavendar Hair Refresher. It's great if you've been walking or working out but don't have time to jump in the shower. (I know, gross) and their Volumizer hair spray. This stuff has been awesome with keeping my curls bouncy in the hear.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

Jergen's Natural Glow.

I know there's a ton of hype surrounding this product, but it's the only self-tanner that's ever looked natural on me. I'm really pale and I burn easily, but I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible and use this instead. It's wonderful stuff.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #11  

Sally Hansen's pedicure in a minute - great for a quick fix before putting your sandals on, makes your feet feel really soft.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #12  

Green tea perfume and body lotion by Elizabeth Arden - smells refreshing!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

Oooo, I love green tea perfume.

And I have to say, tried the VOO treatment on my feet... it worked really well.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #14  

All these great tips! I forgot my old standby..actually not just for summer... Epsom Salts! I love to take "beauty baths", and some epsom salts with an oil essence like rosewood or sandlewood is just wonderful.. My skin feels soft and supple for days afterwards.
Closed Thread