Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Question Massage Techniques?

Looking for info on massage. I am trying to get up my nerve to get a massage and want to have some type of idea of what they are planning on doing to me. Book title or website or experienced insight welcome.

Tiki
Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Tiki, I've never had a real one, either. Just the quick ones from DH and the kids. Sometimes I get the kids to stand on my back, but I'm sure that's not the kind of tip you're looking for.
I hope you find a good place to go... enjoy!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Tiki,

Massages are soooo nice. I've had about 10-12 I'd say. Wish I could have one weekly!

Here are some websites for you to check out. Swedish massage is probably the most common - I find it very relaxing. I also have had Shiatsu - not too impressed with that but could have been the person doing it. Also, Positional Release Therapy - had that done for super tense shoulders and hips - amazing help. Try it out and see what you like! Try not to worry about the unclothed bits. The therapists are like doctors, they don't care and everyone I've encountered has been very caring and professional. (Best massage I ever had was from a fellow college student though heh! Oh man, it was... better than... anything ever! It went on for hours! I almost proposed marriage at the end.)

A few of the terms used to describe massage:
http://www.amtamassage.org/about/terms.html

And another site - full of great stuff!
http://www.massagetherapy.com/learnmore/index.php

Happy massage to you!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #4  
Mel

Count me as a massage fan, too. I've had "sport massages", "deep tissue massages", "active release therapy" for knotted muscles and scar tissue. The last can be painful at the time, but feels soooo much better in the long run. I've used 2 different massage therapists and a chiropractor and they were all good. My only not so great experience was with a massage therapist who works at our gym and is a really nice guy and knows what he's doing, but is used to working on HUGE guys. The first time he worked on my shoulder, I was bruised He just moved here recently from Colorado where he was on the physio-therapy staff of the University of Colorado football team. Turns out I was one of the first small women he'd ever worked on

Have fun and relax

Mel
Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Tiki

I've had a few ... Mostly sports massage for shoulder, jaw and teeth problems. One or two itsy-bitsy ones by people who seemed frightened to touch someone else's body.

Now, I live in an area where there are quite a few people we used to call 'drop-outs' in the 60s and 70s. Candles, whale music, dolphins, incense. That kind of stuff. So any massage round here seems to involve terrible music and scented oil ('aromatherapy'). Um - that makes me tense. Tension is not what massage is about, is it? I have to be quite assertive about my not wanting that music, any music (as I'd rather concentrate on my body) and not liking various smells and what they do to me (essential oils are pretty strong stuff with powerful effects).

Oh, and be ready to drink a great deal of water afterwards and to be quite tired.

I hope I haven't put you off. It is worth it. Go for it! And let us know how it went.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Tiki-san,

Did you end up getting your massage? If you did, what did you think?

Inquiring minds wanna know
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique
Looking for info on massage. I am trying to get up my nerve to get a massage and want to have some type of idea of what they are planning on doing to me. Book title or website or experienced insight welcome.

Tiki
Finally, something I know about so I can post!!
the American Massage Therapay Association web sit has nice information
http://www.amtamassage.org/consumers.html go about halfway down to page to "What to Expect" there is a lot of massage information there, and links to find a therapist in your area.

I am a massage therapist, and I warn you now, massages are more addictive than cigarettes, but less expensive since the recent tax hike here in Illinois. When I was doing clinics I noticed that heavier clients were much shyer than thinner ones. Don't be shy, a good therapist will have you modestly draped with a sheet throughout your massage, only the area s/he is working on will be exposed. You should undress (with the therapist out of the room) to your level of comfort then get between the table sheet and covering sheet. I recommend removing bra and panties, but I also had clients who kept on an undershirt and shorts because they just couldn't stand the thought of being that undressed. A good therapist can work around it. Your therapist will probably start out with light warming strokes to spread the oil and get your circulation going, it will gradually get deeper and slower. If at any point you feel uncomfortable or *gasp* hurt, tell your therapist IMMEDIATELY! We are not mind readers, you have to tell us what you like and don't like. The massage will be over quicker than you think, and like many of us you will be hooked on that feeling for life. The total relaxation of a contented cat.

Pick a therapist who is licensed in your state, amta member and graduated from something other than a mnimum requirement community college. I spent 1088 hours getting my certificate, someone from a 100 hour program just isn't going to be as good.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:19 AM   #8  

Default And don't forgte your water!

I almost forgot. Sometimes getting a massage will release toxins that have been stored in your body and you can get cold or flu symptoms for a couple hours or a day. Drink LOTS of water after your massage to prevent this, I didn't believe this until it happend to me when we started doing deep tissue massage. For some reason heavier people are more prone to this. Maybe because we have more storage area for the toxins to hide in?

Something else, I swear I'm not lying on this, regular massage makes you look slimmer. I saw it with my own eyes, people getting deep tissue massage especially, you improve your posture and that can take and inch off your waist.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Wow, MinuetInC, thanks for your input... what great information!
Closed Thread