Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #1  
Queen of China

Default question

Has this happened to anyone out there...your sitting at home, minding your own business when suddenly you are hit with an overwhelming urge to eat every carbohydrate in your house. This happened to me last night and a few other times this year. It was like I couldn't stop! I tried to eat healthy things to start, low fat crackers, organic wheat cereal...but I just wouldn't quit! I was wondering if this was a nutritional thing or a mental thing...or even some wierd need to feel 'full'. It kinda freaked me out.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

i get it with "fat" more than carbs, but sometimes just need denser foods. maybe bodies are just telling us something.
i get confused about the whole low carb thing, but as far as i can tell if you are exercising ( energy out) then you need carbs ( energy in) or your body will just store what is already there. is that about right or am i way off?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YES!! It HAS happened to me. Seems more likely to happen in cold weather.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:41 PM   #4  
Waisting away

Ginya - I'm not sure why that happens. I get that with food in general. Often sugar. And if I start, even with the healthy stuff, it's like a ride I can't get off. *sigh* Thankfully it's only an occasionally need, want, desire.

Not a big help I know, but at least you know you are not alone.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

yes I have had carb benders too ginya. There is not much I can do about them except try to pig out on the healthier versions then get back on the wagon the next day and not beat myself up about it.

A few weeks ago I was craving mac and cheese for about 3 days straight on day 4 I caved and ate some and got it out of my system - haven't wanted it since.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #6  

This happens to me at least once per week. It's like your body wants the one thing it's not getting. Mashed potatoes, pasta and stuffing....the thoughts of it drive me crazy. I think that the body is telling you it needs the carbs so I try to eat healthier versions. Just enough to curb the craving and then back on track.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

...happens to me about three times a day...
Old 02-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #8  
Head Princess

I've been dying for golden grahams for the last week! Problem is I can't have them. Period. I've discovered that I have a sugar allergy or something. If I have some, I'll be throwing up for half the day. How's that for motivation?

To answer Blugirrl's question, here's the philosophy of low carb: Our bodies primarily burn carbs for energy. If you cut way back on the carbs (this would be induction for most low carb plans) then you force your body into switching fuel sources (fat!). One of the by products of fat metabolization is called ketones. That's what low-carbers buy those little sticks for: to see if they're producing ketones and therefore in fat metabolizing mode. The time it takes to make the switch is 1-2 weeks which is also why people feel like total crap at the very beginning. It's a big adjustment for your body. Hope that helps!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #9  
a new me, I soon will be

This happens to me, but with fatty (bad) foods. I notice it more when I've been faced with a lot of stress issues.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Ginya I think everyone at some point in time does this. My problems is when I start a binge (hasn't happened for a while) it is usually in between meals or at night when I am really tired or didn't eat enough during the day. Don't let it get you down, I swear I remember something about you meeting goal sometime lately am I wrong?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #11  
Queen of China

thanks for all the replys, it does help to know I am not alone. It just is so wierd to be craving something and not be able to satisify that craving. I did meet my goal, and am still working at the hard part, the maintenence, (a life long journey, I know) but at this place I need to learn to listen to my body, to give it what it needs and not what it craves, unless it craves something it needs...does that make sense? I know for me, carbs are comfort foods, and it has been a stressful time. I wont go into the drama, but suffice to say, it aint been the best start of a new year. So, tonight, to ward off the cravings, I walked an extra mile and will take my long bubblebath (hiding from the food) hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #12  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I binge every once and a while, but it is never on one type of food. I can't figure out what I want so I eat a little of everything that sounds good.

Hope things get better for you Ginya!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 AM   #13  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPrincess
Hope that helps!
Star, thanks. been trying trying to figure out the whole carb thing.
and you look wonderful by the way
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #14  
Head Princess

Thanks Blugirrl. I was pretty excited to see I had a jawline. I'm always happy to answer low carb questions.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #15  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

GREAT picture star!! You look wonderful!!!
Closed Thread