Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Alternachick chat June 16+

Good morning everyone!

Darn- why am I so cheery- it is Monday!
Oh yeah, my boss will be gone for the next 2 days

Well I finished fixing up my balcony this weekend, all the herbs are planted and I have a tomato plan, a cherry tomato plant, some hot peppers and 2 strawberry plants on the go

I just have to get rid of the old air-conditioner and put up the mosquito netting and I am all set! We sat out there on Friday evening listening to the rain falling-very calming
Old 06-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #2  

Apropos of what we were chatting about on the old thread...yeah, Ellis, even despite the quiet on either side of us, I cannot stand sitting on the front porch, as there are loads of people across the street who are always out and bouncing around (the young'uns bounce & the old people sit around watching everything and watering their lawns 52 times a day) - too crowded! I sit on the back porch - well, not today though as one of our quiet neighbours is building a strange wall through the middle of his back yard. NOT to keep us out, actually!

...You never know though!

Lidian
Old 06-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I wish we had a back porch to sit on. I don't know why, but I like sitting "high up". Our back yard is pretty cozy, but I prefer the verandah.

Mauvais, I'll save some herbs for you this year. I'm thinning things out and putting the cast-offs in pots... you can come and take what you want when you're ready. You could even take them in the fall and have them indoors for the winter. (for as long as they last...)
Old 06-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What a super day! I've not been to the garden yet because my cousin from The Island dropped in for coffee. He is a very reticent Brit who seldom chats. He was sooooo wound up today that Harry thought he was on drugs! Gail kind of cleaned around us but we did finally move to the porch.

Get this! I have a decorative birdhouse on the lattice wall out there and a robin has built her nest on the roof. She has three eggs in it right now and we will have to just leave it. Yick! Bird poop on my nice front porch. Oh well, at least it's white and so is the wicker and the lace runner on the old sewing machine!

We love to sit on the front porch too, Ellis. We are sort of hidden because of the flower boxes and the hydrangeas when they grow a bit more. I love being out there and watching the world go by. It's not a multicultural neighbourhood - mainly us village serfs and wenches and the Summer People who are mainly Americans and think we are "quaint".
Old 06-16-2003, 10:55 PM   #5  

Thanks for the offer the herbs Ellis , I will be taking you up on that soon We so have to do dim sum this summer.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:49 PM   #6  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

i am jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-------ontario is so lush and warm and we are freeeeeeeeezing down here!!!!!!!! i did dim sum in toronto once---deeeeeee licious---didn't know what i was eating half the time but it was cheap and well worth it----i heard that the chinese community was having trouble with the restaurant business because of sars-----makes no sense to me----all the cases seem to be totally related to hospitals----imagine the dixie chicks adn the rolling stones being afraid to perform----i have to call them wimps----my dh had to fly up to TO and he never gave it a second thought----sorry for the rant,but this really bugs me!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:32 AM   #7  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Mauvaisroux-NOPE!! But we WILL be members of the vulgar nouveaux middle class!!! (Don't know if that is better or worse!!)

Wildfire-NOPE!! But afterwards you can help us "celebrate" (Don't want to jinx anything!) until we're blue in the face!!!!

Ellis-Those cows are really purty!!!!

Squeak-Well......at least maybe the bathroom will be fixed!!!!!

Old 06-17-2003, 02:35 AM   #8  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Ellis-You are completely right about the woman at the top of the screen. She is starting to look like a STICK FIGURE!!!! At least now they're showing her face instead of just her belly!! (If you can even call it that!!)
Old 06-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

Aw, shucks! I liked her belly. It reminded me of the Cheerios box!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagzz
i am jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-------ontario is so lush and warm ...
Did you hear that, girls? Ruthie? Mauvais? Never in my LIFE have I ever heard us described as being "lush and warm"! Wow. It sounds really good here.
Bagzz... you have the OCEAN! That makes up for EVERYTHING! aaaaaaaah... the ocean...
And I agree with you re: T.O. Crazy.

Funny, Ruth. As soon as we cross the border we think, "These Americans are so quaint with their lawn ornaments and flags."

Den, I was just saying to DH the other night... "If we're ever stinking rich, let's get some steak knifes that cut meat." So let that be one of the first items on your list. (we're teasing you re: the money, honey. It WILL be nice to have a little more, though. You'll be more "comfortable".)

Hugs to all...
Old 06-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #11  

Oooooh....I feel very uppercrust now...I have wood handled steak knives- the real kind that cut meat I bought them on sale for $4.95 each (down from $15.95 each).

Ellis you should check out the kitchen ware store on Bank near Lisgar -most of their stuff is pretty pricey but they occasionally have some really good deals-that is where I got my steak knives-bargoon queen that I am
Old 06-17-2003, 01:03 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

OMG! I sent a set of bone-handled steak knives to the Yard Sale. I think they were THE wedding present of the 1960's - along with grilled cheese/waffle makers.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #13  

Oh Mauvais... I know the one you mean. The one that keeps saying it's having a "closing down sale".
Yes, they have a lot of good stuff there... I must check there periodically.

Damn it Ruth, you're throwin' out stuff that I WANT!! I could have used the sandwich thingy, too! DH's Mom has one of those, and she (used to) make the most delicious jam sandwiches with icing sugar sprinkled on them. They were like little pies. (totally not on my diet)
Old 06-17-2003, 01:48 PM   #14  

Oh, how sweet. My DH is home for lunch , and he just gave me a handful of pamphlets from work on drugs for depression. Thanks honey.
(do you sense the sarcasm?)
Old 06-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

That store was having closing out sales in 1958 when I worked Saturdays at the old Eaton's at Laurier and Bank! What a joke!
Sorry about pitching stuff you wanted, Ellis. Did I ever tell you that you remind me of mjy daughter?
Closed Thread