Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #1  
Hot Stuff

Default How does one start to "low carb"? Anyone know?

It's me, the prodigal poster.

So I was cruising around the Atkins site after following a link on another, and totally weight-loss unrelated, bulletin board, and I took their quiz....I answered yes to every single question in the one that makes you a glucose-intolerant type. Hmmmm. Even if the quiz is slanted to make you seem like you might need to do their diet, EVERY question?

I'm not sure if I want to actually do the Atkins diet, though...seems rather stringent....but I'm thinking that maybe I should start to look into this low carb thing and just maybe if I live through the first two weeks or so, my IBS will adjust.

I know there are some of you doing low-carb. Any suggestions for books or other references that might be a good place to start?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #2  
Buggin' with Pugs

Ok I hate to mention a diet book, but the Zone is a great source of info. Nice balanced info. You can also go to zoneperfect.com and get info too. It will give you some good advice to maybe making your own diet plan. I've been on a low-carb, loosely based Zone diet for 2 weeks now and lost 7lbs...so it must be working.

Hope this helps!!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 PM   #3  
Hot Stuff

Thanks, RubensMuse! I've read a lot on zoneperfect.com, I'll do some more tomorrow. One of the girls I work with does the Zone diet, has for years now, and she's a tiny thing...even after having a baby last year she lost all the weight. Congrats on your 7lb loss! That's fantastic!

Carbs have always been my "safe" foods with IBS...breads, pasta, rice, etc.....don't cause immediate pain when I eat them. I can't help wondering, though, if they are contributing in the long run with the refined sugars they contain. This can all be so confusing. There are so many plans out there...I need a simple one to start with.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

If you can wait until Ruth gets back from BC, she'll tell you all about it. I don't think she actually does Atkins, but she does cut back on the carbs...
Old 04-05-2003, 08:09 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

ummmm. ladies... there's a wonderful LOW CARB BOARD down towards the bottom of this forum list. lots and lots of great information, and everyone's doing something a little different... carbohydrate addicts, the zone, sugarbusters. and huge amounts of advice.

and very nice, smart, funny women as well. and even the incomparable ruth!!!! and nasus40 is a nurse who has become the resident expert on why this whole thing works for so many.

hope this helps!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:08 AM   #6  

Now look here, you old cackler... are you trying to lure people away from our board?!
That's right... I forgot about the low-carb threads... the reason that we RARELY see Ruthie!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

WF~ I tell you I came back and some of my favorite people flew the coup so to speak.

I did the whole low carb thing for a while but it sucked for me because I really don't like meat, eggs or cheese so doesn't leave a great deal left to choose from.

The sugar busters book isn't exactly LOW carb but it has helped a bunch of people with out cutting out your comfort IBS foods. Just a thought anyway. The only thing there is the whole grain stuff they want you to eat would probably hurt your stomach as bad at the meats and fats from the Atkins type diet. The only problem with the real Atkins is that it is bad for your kidneys... it is based alot on the premises that you burn your own fat (lalala) but ultimately you end you in a ketonic state where you are spilling protien (ketones) in your urine... your kidneys can't take too much of that with out it causing permenant damage.... and if you have any renal insufficiency you are setting yourself up for a big oops and can send yourself into renal failure (argh)...

No wonder I run people off. Glad you popped back in we have missed you...

Hugs and good luck,
Amy
Old 04-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #8  
Hot Stuff

Jiffypop, I did browse around the low-carb board, but I didn't really see a "getting started" kind of thread, and the few people who asked were basically told to read all threads and get their own information. Well, I skimmed through the 60-odd pages but didn't really see what I was looking for. I'm sure they are all very nice over there and I'll get to know them as I start this journey, it's just the where to start that I need.

Hi ellis! I was hoping Ruth might see this and divulge her experience with the whole thing. I didn't know she was away...see what happens when you don't lurk regularly...you miss these tidbits of information. Thanks!

Hey Amyjo! Glad to see you're still around. Yeah, the whole ketosis thing kinda veered me away from Atkins....I don't need any more problems than the ones I have!

I'm thinking of looking more closely at the Zone plan. It does allow you to have carbs, it just limits how much of the not-so-favorable ones. BUT you have the choice. I think it might be a starting point, at least.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #9  

Default Getting started...ok...

I have been lurking here, and saw this question. Hope you don't mind me jumping in and answering it.

To get started in low carbing, first, look at the different programs, and decide which fits you best. Then, try following the plan, and see how you feel. If you don't like it, try another.

Here is my humble opinion on the low carb plans:

Atkins: You start out VERY low...at like 20 carbs a day. After two weeks, you begin to add more carbs until you stop losing, then back off to lose again. You do that level until you reach goal, then increase to maintain.

Protein Power: This low carb plan starts out with more carbs, and more variety. About 30 carbs a day to start, then you increase to about 60 to maintain. This book is worth the read for all the GREAT info in it.

SUGARBUSTERS: This is a moderate low carb based on the Glycemic Index. You cut out white flour, white sugar, white potatoes, corn, beets, pineapple, bananas and white rice. You eat sensibly, sticking to about three starchy carbs per day. Whole wheat flour, brown rice, sweet potatoes are all allowed on this plan. It is a diet you can live with the rest of your life. VERY healthy. (there is a wonderful SB forum on here...)

Other low carb programs include Schwartzbein, Somercize, the GI diet, etc.

In my humble opinion, Sugarbusters is the best of the group. Fruit and veggies are allowed, so you can eat a balanced diet.

To start with, just cut out sugar, white flour, white potatoes, and corn products. These are all cause a big insulin response. Eat fruit, veggies, and whole grains, along with lean meats. It works. There are several on the SB forum who have lost over 100 pounds on this diet.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #10  
Hot Stuff

Hi Monet, and thanks for your input! I've been lurking over on the SB forum, too. Debelli sure is doing a fabulous job over there. I think next weekend I'll spend some time in the book store looking at the different plans.

I really don't think I can cut out carbs to the extent that Atkins would make me. Yesterday, as an experiment I ate only protein and non-starchy fruits and veggies. I was so sick today, and by mid-afternoon yesterday a killer headache took hold, and is still lingering. I suspect it could be some kind of withdrawal, and I would have given my left arm for a loaf of bread! The more I read about this glucose intolerance, the more it sounds like my life. Could be why I can lose 10-12 lbs on WW and then the plan stops working for me, too.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #11  

Yep, it can't be easy, or it isn't worth it I guess. Though, just for once, I would really like easy weight loss!

Jump in on the SB forum if you have questions. When I started, I concentrated on legal stuff, and not amounts. If I wanted a whole box of triscuits, I ate them. They are legal, so ok. Once you get the sugar withdrawal over, and used to the right foods, you can start working on the portions. Two or three a day is the norm for weight loss. 100% whole wheat bread, or brown rice, or a small sweet potato are all ok. I love snacking on triscuits, too. And Ak Mak crackers, which are harder to find. You can make pancakes, or biscuits with whole wheat flour and they are ok too.

I like SB because you can have such a good variety of healthy stuff. I never feel deprived! I even recently found a Splenda sweetened ice cream! (I won't touch Aspartame for anything!)

Anyway, good luck! What you are experiencing sounds like carb withdrawal, so hang in there. It will get much better in another day or so, and then all your carb cravings will magically go away! Honest! It is so complete that I was able to make a wedding cake, ice it, and serve it and never even touch a bite of it! Amazing for someone who used to eat a whole bowl of icing when doing a wedding cake! I was really pathetic!

Old 04-07-2003, 08:39 AM   #12  

Monet, you've encouraged me to check out Sugar Busters again... I've never actually done it, but I HAVE read about it!
I need a boost...
Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 AM   #13  
Must Shrink.

I zoned for a long time and although it was tough to get the balance right it not only helps with weight, it gets those hormones in line and I was blissfully happy.

It was when I went off Paxil in early 1999.

Lam
Old 04-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #14  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thought I would add my 2 cents.

Wildfire, you were definitely going thru withdrawals.....my brother offered his left leg for a slab of pizza last night. He just started Atkins a week ago today, and has lost 9lbs. Ive lost 41 as of today on Atkins.

So.......like Monet said, you have to try them out to see what works best for you. I did Protein Power 3 yrs ago, and lost 100+lbs. The reason Im doing Atkins now, is because I couldnt find my PP book, and atkins was in at the library. Its similar enough and easy enough for me to follow.

Many ppl are successful with SugarBusters, but some of us can not tolerate that many carbs. Just getting a taste of them can set me off on a Krispy Kreme binge!! Atkins is very low carb until you start to add back your carbs. You are in control. You will also see what triggers your cravings. Ive been adding back carbs for about 3 weeks now. I have discovered that raspberries make me very hungry for hoho's and krispykreme donuts by about 3 in the afternoon. Sooooooooooo I dont add raspberries to my cottage cheese anymore!! I havent craved hoho's in about a week now

The basics for low carb......dont eat anything white, with sugar, or anything that turns to sugar in your system....and drink LOTS of water.

my 2 cents
Robin
Old 04-07-2003, 11:33 AM   #15  
Buggin' with Pugs

Wildfire.....I am going to let you in on a little opinion/fact something that will probably get a few of these ladies po-ed at me, but I hope that it will be seen as INFORMATION and not a recommendation or 'telling you what to do thing".

I am in the relm of forensics and have been present during many autposies. I have seen pathological studies of, blood, tissue etc. -- It's a hard thing to admit, but I have seen what poor diet and bad diet choices can do to a body from the inside. However, putting that knowledge to use for myself has proven a real chore. I am overweight , despite dieting efforts, medications etc. It's easier to share with others what you know, but finding the will power to accomplish it yourself can be very hard.

This forum, the basic fundamentals of the guideline provided by the Zone diet, and the knowledge I have gained in the medical field, NOW have me on track and losing.

I have seen several patients kidneys and livers after the Atkins diet. I have seen their blood work. It's not pretty. I am not saying ALL Atkins followers will end up this way, but some people either misuse the diet, or are genetically/ hormonally challenged for such a drastic dietary change.

Quite honestly, out of everything I have learned...its all about balance. Not everyones balance is going to be the same. Athletes will need more ATP (energy) producing foods versus more sedentary persons. each person has genetic./hormonal factors working for and against them. ~~ It's finding the balance that will work for you to lose, then maintain.

I personally chose the Zone because it was the only diet that seemed to assist in educating the dieter as well as help them learn how balanced eating can be so essential in teaching your body to function at a optimum level. It is NOT an easy diet to follow exactly to a T. I will say, like Lamorgan, I did so for about 2 months and never felt better. But my willpower can't go for that long with such inflexible restrictions. SOOOO I modified the Zone to fit me and my schedule. So far I am pleased!!! 7 lbs actully 8 since 3/21 (weighed this AM) means its working for me.

The rule of thumb is Protein to Carb ratios and a little fat to help absorb it. You find how to ratio back on the Zoneperfect site.

As far as Sugarbusters and the other diets, I am not knocking them, but I honestly do see them as modified forms of the same diet, just changed to be based on what worked for certain persons. Some people CAN handle higher carbs with no IBS, Chron's or weight issues, some can't. Foods high on the glycemic index all turn into suger once in our bodies. Some people have diabetes, some don't...see we are all different and that means different diets and eating habits.

I don't feel any of these diets are entirely right or entirely wrong. But from the research and physical samples I have seen...it all comes down to balance and exercise <-----that being a very important factor in how our body regulates its functions and how is utilizes the nutrients we provide via food.

I wanted to share my thoughts in hopes this helps you find something that will work for YOU.

Last edited by RubensMuse; 04-07-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Closed Thread