Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #16  

Height: 5'-2"

You've convince ME, Rubens!
I appreciate your comments... thank you.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:36 PM   #17  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You chicks don't need me for advice. Nobody ask me what I ate the past few days! Will check in when I get home.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #18  

Height: 5'-2"

Ruth, you sly fox, you. Are you having a good time?!
Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #19  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My dog Keiko eats every diet book I have ever bought. It's like he's telling me to quit buying them! Or else they're delicious.

The first diet book he ate was the Zone diet. I loved the book, like the diet a lot and now can't use it as a reference. SIGH!

The second was Body for Life. Which is a pretty cool book and really encourage some stuff that everyone should do.. like lift weights.

I would say start with the Zone diet. It's easy to read and easy to follow.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:18 PM   #20  
Hot Stuff

Wow, thanks for the info Monet, Robin, and Rubens. Just skimmed quickly...have a hellish week and it's only Tuesday! Needless to say, being this busy isn't giving me much opportunity to research, nevermind follow a diet. These 13 hour days are killing me! Weekend is coming...just not soon enough.

Rubens, how cool...forensic science!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:08 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

WF ~ Things any better with DD? If I recall that was some of the reason you bailed for a while wasn't it?

Rubens ~ Forensic's is a cool field, there wasn't a school close enough to me....I really considered it as a carrier path .... but no matter what path I took it always led me back to nursing... I like your synopsis about balance... I really think regardless for most people it is all about balance and portion in ratio to exercise...I know that is my problem. Your doing awesome, I haven't seen this Zone book think I must look in to it.

Hugs to you all!

Amy
Old 04-09-2003, 12:15 AM   #22  
a brave new me...

Unhappy Ughhh...

One of the women I went to Cancun with was basically on a no carb diet. I gagged every time I looked at her plate... she would order a bacon cheeseburger with extra cheese and extra bacon and mayo and no bun! There is just NO WAY that kind of diet can be healthy for you. She hardly ate any veggies... just meat and cheese and eggs. She had lost 12 pounds... but yuck! Imo, the way to go is to limit refined carbs like added sugar and white flour. I don't believe for one second that any fruit, vegetable, whole grain, bean, legume, or nut is bad for you. Nobody has gotten fat eating too many of those things. Now the refined white flour products and added sugar products... yup . But I am also a firm believer that anyone can lose weight eating whatever they want in moderation. I haven't cut anything out of my diet and have still lost 17 pounds. I enjoy sweets and fried foods along with healthy choices... I just eat only when I am hungry and stop when I am comfortable, rather than full. Nothing is off limits... makes things much easier and its a lifestyle change that I can stick to... I never feel deprived or feel like I am "cheating" when I eat food that isn't so healthy. If I am going to become and STAY thin, I need to be able to live with my eating habits. The low/no carb thing just seems very unrealistic and unhealthy to me.

Last edited by Sojourner; 04-09-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:40 AM   #23  

SOJOURNER: For normal people, that kind of an approach works well. For me, it doesn't. I am insulin resistant, and my pancreas goes wild when I eat anything with sugar, white flour, corn, beets, pineapple, potatoes, etc. One bite of a potato, and something comes over me and I want to eat the whole bag! It's like being an addict. That is why I like SugarBusters, because it is so sensible. There are some metabolic types that do well with less veggies, more protein and fats, than others. Not even Atkins though, recommends NO veggies. He says one large salad, or serving of a low carb veggie is mandatory per day. A doctor once told me that I could go with out ANY carbs for three or so weeks, as long as I took vitamins. I guess some people can do that. After all, Eskimos are very healthy, and they eat only fish and whale blubber all the time. But I agree with you...who would want to do that? Give me some fruit and veggies with that bacon and beef!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #24  
a brave new me...

Angry Yes...

I was going to add that I realized some people had to stick to lower carb diets because of health reasons. I was more just horrified with this woman's "low carb" diet. From what I've heard, Sugarbusters is very reasonable and balanced... I have even considered trying it. But I don't do well when I can't eat certain foods... it only lasts a few days and then I'm stuffing my face. I think its important for everyone to find some eating plan that works for them... and we all are so very different!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:24 PM   #25  

SOJOURNER: I agree with you 100%! Its amazing how different we all are, and what works for one, may not for another. I am reading a new book, The Metabolic Type Diet that attempts to address the difference...interesting stuff!
Closed Thread