Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:44 AM   #16  
Searching

Has anyone else seen The Conversation by Francis Ford Coppalla. Its this movie about manipulation through surveilance, its quite old since Harrison Ford looks younger than he did in the Star Wars movies. It made me think today about cynicism since the security guy in it seemed so nieve. But you have to think this is pre-computers and GPS systems, it can really build up your own level of paranoia.

Miss Chris
Old 03-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #17  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

We watched Scarface on DVD last night. I had forgotten a lot of it but did remember some of those great lines "First jou get thee money, then jou get thee powerrr, then jou get thee weemin" and "cocarocha' Oooooh and the shower/chainsaw scene with the Columbian drug dealers and the final death scene (one of the best death scenes ever!) What a great film!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Dragonfly with Kevin Costner.....

Can the dead really communicate?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #19  

Height: 5'-2"

DD and I just watched "Waking Ned Devine" for about the fifth time. I love that movie.
Has anybody seen "The Straight Story"? I LOVED it!
Old 03-11-2003, 01:34 PM   #20  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

LOVE "Waking Ned Divine"! I have never seen "The Straight Story" though.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #21  

Donnie Darko is awewsome, it makes you think!

I've also enjoyed Pi by Darren Aronofsky and Requiem for a Dream also by Aronofsky.

Do the right thing and Crooklyn by Spike Lee are up there with my favorites

Little shop of horrors is good for a bit of fun but I wouldn't say it makes you think too much.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:24 PM   #22  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Chris - You and I were seperated at birth. I love Kevin Smith.

I saw Bladerunner (again) this weekend. We were talking about it in film class and it made me want to see it again. I could not BELIEVE how many students hadn't seen it. I mean, sure, for the normal viewing public a classic such as this might be overlooked but for film students? Luckily, my professor agreed with me and it's required viewing with my other favorite movie Brazil. If you haven't seen it, you should!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:59 PM   #23  
Searching

Quote:
Originally posted by Goddess Jessica
Chris - You and I were seperated at birth. I love Kevin Smith.

I saw Bladerunner (again) this weekend. We were talking about it in film class and it made me want to see it again. I could not BELIEVE how many students hadn't seen it. I mean, sure, for the normal viewing public a classic such as this might be overlooked but for film students? Luckily, my professor agreed with me and it's required viewing with my other favorite movie Brazil. If you haven't seen it, you should!
So your the cool sister I have been looking for?

Bladerunner and True Romance are required viewing here for Film appreciation class. I think the director cut of Bladerunner is excellent. Need to see Brazil.

I got a whole bunch of movies tonight so I will tell you how it goes.

Last night I watched Simone. Which wasn't terrible and wasn't great either. It got me thinking though, you could easily simulate actors. But how good they would be would be up to the actors behind the simulation. Smigel in LOTR is a good example and though I hate Jar Jar Binks I would say the actor fullfilled the role. I think Jar Jar was written obnoxious!
Miss Chris
Old 03-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #24  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HURRAY!!! "Blade Runner" is great, and "Brazil" is one of my favorites!!! DH bought the deluxe DVD set, but I haven't had a chance to see all the extras yet.....
Old 03-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #25  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My Cute Boyfriend bought the deluxe set but I was skeptical and could not believe that he wanted to spend so much money on it. But he kept assuring me it would be worth it. It was! Very cool stuff.

Anyone see Minority Report? It was written by the same guy who did Bladerunner. I enjoyed it very much (even though I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise).

I'm suppose to rent Taxi Driver (for film class) and Heathers (for creative writing). So, it looks like a Classics weekend for me.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #26  
a brave new me...

Brazil! I love that movie! And Blade Runner is such a classic. Yes, I saw Minority Report and really enjoyed it... although I had some problems wrapping my brain around some elements of the plot.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:27 PM   #27  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite movies. I actually got to see it in the theatre when it first came out. I was about 12 years old and I remember that it was an unbearably hot summer day and we had no air-conditioning so my parents decided that we should go to a movie to get out of the heat for a while. We had no idea what the film was about when we went in but we all ended up loving it!

I also saw the first Star Wars in the theatre with my parents when I was a kid under the same type of circumstances except we were vacationing in Lake Placid at the time My parents were pretty darn cool! (still are )

They also used to let me stay up late on Friday nights when I was a kid so I could watch old horror movies with them, usually black and white ones or Vincent Price movies.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 03-14-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Closed Thread