Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:19 AM   #31  
Must Shrink.

This is so bizarre, because on Monday I decided to clean out my closet... It's pretty small, (big for an old house but tiny by modern standards!) and I share it with John with all the clothes he has held on to for the past 20 years. How many plaid shirts does he need?????

This whole clothes thing has changed radically for me over the past 6 months... Started working and had nothing to wear! Plus simply tired of what I had been putting up with.

In the past 15 years we've been pretty poor, and I've been pregnant 4 times... plus all the nursing and before and after stuff. Stayed at home and wore too many leggings and large T-shirts. I started bying used clothes pretty heavily 5 years ago, and amassed a closet ful of questionable bargains... I'd say out of everything I've purchased maybe 5% has been a treasure.

It all started in September when John bought me a long jean skirt for my birthday... and then I bought new jeans at the Gap. Stretch Black Jeans. I love them. They were my first pair of new jeans since 1989. And that same day the Gap had denim jeans on for 19.99, so I bought a pair of those too. That was the start. My next pay I bought shoes for work. Then a long tan sweater. And I really haven't been able to stop.

Monday I went through my closet and tossed bags and bags of old stuff... and arranged my new clothes, intermingled with some really funky treasures from Value Village and Sally Anns....

I love my clothes and I know it's shallow. Perhaps I've entered my shallow years.

I think I've hit my comfortable size, 10ish, but will have to be really careful not to go nuts and gain any more back.

Lois

Last edited by Lamorgan; 01-15-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #32  

Height: 5'-2"

Lois, I know exactly what you've gone through, and I'm so happy for you being able to start buying yourself a few things now. I've always stayed home with our children (despite my former "screw-kids" plan to be a big bread winner, once they came along I became a "I'm damned if I'm leaving MY babies with a sitter just so I can earn a few extra bucks!"), and until a couple of years ago, we always seemed to be POOR!! (yet happy! heh heh) Our circumstances are much better now, and it's nice to have a little bit extra to occasionally treat ourselves to a meal, some clothes, etc.
You're NOT shallow. Enjoy yourself!!
10... you lucky girl! Good for you, sweetie!!

Sabrina, you'll get those red boots. They're out there... just waiting for you.

Geez it's cold out there. This country should NOT have people living on the streets. There's something very wrong with our society. Good reminder, Ruthie.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:11 AM   #33  

I've been going through clothes too...gave my large Cotton Ginny T's to DH, who looks very cute in them (they are sort of enormous unisex navy or black Ts), and lots of old big stuff is going to Goodwill (where actually I have found some amazing things such as my fave grey-blue soft merino wool cardigan).

I don't understand sizes at all - they are all different for different makes. I think I am between sizes actually, in Gap or Limited pants...and I found Eddie Bauer jeans that SAY they are 12s but I can hardly get them zipped up (they feel like 8s really). I still wear a lot of elastic waists (Adidas, Northern Reflections) but with string to adjust them up or down. Though actually wearing stuff that zips and buttons is a better incentive to fitness. Though one pair it has been 9 years since I could wear them and now they don't go with anything in my closet! But I won't give them away as they are a yardstick for me. I keep out a few pairs of pants to try on, just so I can see where I am at.

Ideal for me is having jeans with a zip bit also a teeny bit of side elastic! They are hard to find secondhand though, in a good brand.

I love love love buying clothes for myself - secondhand but top quality! I love the hunt! When I was a kid and teenager we only shopped once or twice a year for one or two items - otherwise it was all homemade and not very fashionable. So now I am making up for that!!

Lidian
Old 01-21-2003, 02:37 PM   #34  

I love second hand shopping too, Lidian! My Mom discovered "The Neighborhood Services" store when we were young teens, and I was able to find myself all kinds of jeans and stuff!
And as a single income family, I don't know what we'd do without the second hand stores! ...Yes I do. We'd be shopping for cheap and nasty new clothes. Instead, I almost always find expensive, well-made clothing second-hand. Stuff that looks good and wears well. And I can get about 30 items for 80 dollars, instead of 2 or 3 new ones for 80!

Naturally we're relying on people who shop "new" and discard frequently, and I'm very grateful to them. They obviously have far more money than WE do.

My parents still shop there on occasion despite their rise in wealth over the years. I think it's addictive. They were there one day, and Mom had a little chit chat with another customer over some "goods". Afterwards she said to my Dad, "You know darling, I just realized... I just had the nicest conversation with Rita Celli." (for the American girls, she's one of our radio and tv hosts)

Hmmm, DH has tomorrow morning off. Maybe after our workout we'll go to the Sally Ann. And I have several huge bags to drop off there!
Old 01-22-2003, 11:13 AM   #35  

Ellis, I know I could never dress my kids in nice stuff from the Gap, Roots, Reebok, etc etc etc without shopping secondhand - why buy the cheap stuff new when you can get something only a little worn, or not at all, for so much less?

I have a friend who was saying she couldn't find snowpants sold without the coat too, and I suggested some of my fave 2ndhand stores where you CAN get great snowpants (or anything else) any way you like, but I could tell she just didn't want to go that route. I don't get it! I used to buy new and have hardly any good clothes and now I can get us all great stuff! Got DH some brand new Eddie Bauer stuff for Christmas, and a beautiful polartec top, and PJs, all for a total of about $35.

I donate lots too, to 2ndhand stores - long may they be in business!

Lidian
Old 01-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #36  

Yes, Lidian... some people are queasy about second hand shopping. Maybe it's just as well. More for us.
Eddie Bauer... yup... that's the only place I'll buy it for my DH! And I love the clothes... they last for YEARS!

DH and I went today after going to the gym. We didn't have much time, so I just looked at the books. I DID see a nice looking navy collarless blazer as I was walking in... I grabbed it... $5.99. And I bought about 30 books. My bill came to $19.44. The blazer alone would have set me back 60 bucks new.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #37  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

I too love second hand. I just bought my daughter a pair of Sun Ice ski pants, for $10.00 at a second hand consignment store, and I bought my son two beautiful winter coats, one was $3 and the other $4, at Frenchy's. Do you have a Frenchy's in Ontario or for that matter into the states? I love it. Can get some great buys there.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #38  

Great deals, Virginia!!

Frenchy's, huh? Nope, never heard of them. We have Value Village. The Salvation Army (cheaper than VV, but with less selection). And a bunch of independants. Like "Phase 2" in the Glebe.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:49 PM   #39  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Yes we also have a Salvation Army and about 40 minutes away into Moncton, NB there is a Value Village, but I find it a lot more expensive than Frenchy's or Salvation Army. Second hand is the best!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #40  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I love second hand too, but can't find as many plus sizes...did better with it (and funkier) when i was thinner.....
Old 01-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #41  

Sometimes looking in the maternity section can be worth it. Embarrassing, but worth it.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I am all into second hand stuff... I bought almost my whole winter wardrobe LAST year from the second hand store for like 50 bucks. 4 pair of pants and like 6 or 7 shirts. That is a thought for this brief time where nothing fits

Does anyone know a name brand of carpenter pants? Wal-mart had some about 4 years ago that were their Faded Glory brand or something like it now they only have them in mens and they don't fit the same and they are like MY FAVORITE pants but my blue ones are getting holey or holy how ever you want to look at it.. and I want somemore. I think Lee has them but don't know where to find them.....
Old 01-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #43  

Oh my... I LOVED my painter pants!! I had Lee jeans. I don't know where you can get them now, Amy...
Mine were so soft and comfy. And they lasted for a long time!!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #44  

Oh, Lee painter's pants - I love them! Used to live in them years ago - had an off white pair, blue ones, the lot...I think Lee still makes them but I'm not sure. The hammer pocket is very nice for (non-leaky) pens! I have some overalls with painter-type styling made by Osh-Kosh, so maybe they make them too.

Lidian
Old 01-26-2003, 10:42 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello!
I have worked off 25 pounds going from a size 20 to a 16/18 depending on brand. I have thrown out a lot of fat clothes as well.
The new clothes I have bought are mostly things like black stretchy yoga pants with the slightly flared legs, new athletic shoes, and some new bellydance wear-a new tribal print skirt with a slit up the side so it shows off your harem pants underneath, and a black hip scarf with long black fringe to wear over it. (I bellydance)
I also thrift store shop. I bought a ton of pricey baby clothes at thrift stores when I was pregnant-tons of Baby Gap, Carters, Gymboree...in almost new condition. No way I could have gotten all that for what it costs new. Our thrift store is great-I have found tons of great fabric, sewing patterns, clothes for myself and my husband and kids-and cool house items. My son's room is castle themed, and I found some old gold Home Interior plaques there that were of castle crests. (Think Harry Potter type flag symbols)
My reward for getting down a littlelower in weight is going to ge getting a new set of tattoos. I have some stretch marks on my stomach from the kids, and I am going to have them covered up.
Aphil
Closed Thread